Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your favourite flower/s?
It would have to be the rose for me. Such beauties.

Second favourite would be the hydrangea. Reminds me of home (South Africa), and also here in NZ at my Grandparents house.
Roses for me too. Having lived in Auckland for so long, where the humidity makes it hard to keep them healthy, I am thrilled to be in a cooler drier climate now where roses are mostly disease-free.

My second choice is rhododendrons, to which I am a very recent convert.

I'm also very fond of hydrangeas, and we have a huge hedge of them, but they don't seem to hold well once cut. Is there a trick to keeping them in a vase?
(26-11-2021, 06:44 PM)Olive Wrote: Roses for me too.  Having lived in Auckland for so long, where the humidity makes it hard to keep them healthy, I am thrilled to be in a cooler drier climate now where roses are mostly disease-free.

My second choice is rhododendrons, to which I am a very recent convert.

I'm also very fond of hydrangeas, and we have a huge hedge of them, but they don't seem to hold well once cut.  Is there a trick to keeping them in a vase?
I have two hydrangea bushes, which I cut right back last year, and already, they have grown quite big. Can't wait for them to flower.

I do think there is a right way of keeping them Olive. And also drying them too. I remember looking for information on how to do it, as I'd never had much success with cutting them for a vase and lasting more than a couple of days. I will need to refresh my memory, and I will let you know.

At the med lab that I go to, someone had cut hydrangea flowers last year, and brought them into the lab, and they are still there to this day. Beautifully dried, and I'm sure they were put into water first. I think that you don't put them in alot of water...just enough for the cut end to sit in. I will check it out again though, and come back and let you know.Smile
Roses, Peonies and Hydrangeas for me too. Sadly I can't grown Peonies here - no frosts. And yes. if you put Hydrangeas in a vase with water, over time they will dry out.
Not so much a single flower but orchids in general. If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be phalaenopsis (moth orchid), preferably in white.
[Image: Phalaenopsis-amabilis-Moon-Orchid1.jpg]
(27-11-2021, 12:46 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Roses, Peonies and Hydrangeas for me too. Sadly I can't grown Peonies here - no frosts. And yes. if you put Hydrangeas in a vase with water, over time they will dry out.
Is it right, that you don't put alot of water into a vase for hydrangeas, if you want them to dry out? Or I wonder if it's the type of hydrangea it is that depends on how it dries.
daphne
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(27-11-2021, 01:21 PM)Magoo Wrote: daphne
I love the smell of the Daphne.
The Madonna lily, Lilium candidum.

Exquisite scent, both delicate and intense, the perfect 'Christmas Lily'.
The Bottlebrush, had a tree on the property the family moved to back in the '50's from the Transit Camp..
When we purchased the house from the State Advance transplanted it to the rear of the property.
When Mother passed away in '98 Sister & I visited the house for 1 last visit. The then owners let us have a look 
Thru, They also gave us a cutting so we could place same on Mum's resting place,

Just now? Daffodils...

Oh and stock.
I'm reading a book at the moment called The Language of Flowers, where a reclusive girl only communicates with flowers. Each flower has a meaning, and was often used in Victorian times. I gave a woman I know a daffodil a couple of weeks ago...and I wonder what I was saying ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
You might want to look it up, Zurdo! Smile

Freesias, & Daphne.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Roses, but they must have scent.
Freesias
Violets - yes a weed but still.
Definitely daisies. So happy and brilliant arrays of colours available.

Then there was this odd one that showed up on a new Hibiscus last summer

Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I have mirabilis plants that do that. Every flower is a different colour. And the perfume in the evening is fabulous...