Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Website hosting
We're currently looking for a new home for our website as our current provider is discontinuing this service within the next few months.

cPanel, <1Gb storage, Opencart ecommerce functionality, mainly NZ customer accessed.

My results so far see MyHost (previously WebSlice) looking promising. Any feedback on their performance and pricing? Any other hosting recommendations?

We've had a quote for going over to a Shopify system but the price reflects a virtual total rebuild of our website and the ongoing (and uncontrollable) ongoing costs including commissions on sales are unacceptable so we'd sooner avoid going the SaaS route.
I use 1st domains, but i think they use plesk, black friday sale on atm 50% off
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Probably not what you're after, but might as well mention them as they've been spamming me with emails - 1stdomains have got half price hosting at the moment (as well as cheapish .nz domain name registration.)

My current host is offshore - RackNerd, cheap as chips.

Shopify has always seemed inordinately expensive for what it is, but I guess they well and truly found their niche.

Great minds think alike king1... Wink
What about 1984? I have used them as a DNS server, but have not tried the hosting. They are in Iceland so wouldn't have issues with cooling the servers there during the winter.

https://www.1984hosting.com/
(27-11-2021, 05:22 PM)TygerTung Wrote: What about 1984? I have used them as a DNS server, but have not tried the hosting. They are in Iceland so wouldn't have issues with cooling the servers there during the winter.

https://www.1984hosting.com/
Not somebody I had considered but their time zone is basically opposite ours so planned maintenance timing may be a bit inconvenient to those on the other side of the planet?
Maybe you can just email them and wait till the next day until they respond with technical support.
(28-11-2021, 10:31 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Maybe you can just email them and wait till the next day until they respond with technical support.
You've missed my point. How much of a hassle is it when server maintenance scheduled to be least convenient to a European client base happens in the middle of the NZ business day? Our current local hosting site is NZ based and planned outages in the early hours of the morning aren't uncommon.
That is certainly a consideration, but usually internet servers manage their maintenance so they don't disconnect their entire server surely? Like they will service one server bank and have the other one still going?
(28-11-2021, 08:04 PM)TygerTung Wrote: That is certainly a consideration, but usually internet servers manage their maintenance so they don't disconnect their entire server surely? Like they will service one server bank and have the other one still going?
I think staying local avoids the risk, and is in line with our business ethos where practical.