Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omicron
(27-11-2021, 08:19 PM)Outsider Wrote: UK, USA and EU have closed borders to South Africa, but we're 'keeping an eye on it'!! How the heck do you do that? It's a virus - you can't see it and people bring it in.
Close our borders to South Africans like everyone else.

We have MIQ

Edit, a ban was just announced: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4567...-countries
(27-11-2021, 08:30 PM)videomonkey Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 08:19 PM)Outsider Wrote: UK, USA and EU have closed borders to South Africa, but we're 'keeping an eye on it'!! How the heck do you do that? It's a virus - you can't see it and people bring it in.
Close our borders to South Africans like everyone else.

We have MIQ
Soooo effective.  Lol.
Poor South Africa. That country continues to suffer.
I think we'll have to close our borders to southern African countries too, preferably sooner rather than later. But there was also a case in Egypt & another in - I think it was - Belgium, so presumably it may already have spread a bit anyway.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-11-2021, 10:26 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think we'll have to close our borders to southern African countries too, preferably sooner rather than later. But there was also a case in Egypt  & another in - I think it was - Belgium, so presumably it may already have spread a bit anyway.

Too bad for all those who thought they will be able to travel again, you wait, Australia will be closed off again once they find its there too!

Interesting fact, Omicron is the 15th letter of the alphabet, so this must be the 15th variation of the virus going by the WHO's naming strategy using the greek letters of the alphabet.
(28-11-2021, 10:45 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 10:26 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think we'll have to close our borders to southern African countries too, preferably sooner rather than later. But there was also a case in Egypt  & another in - I think it was - Belgium, so presumably it may already have spread a bit anyway.

Too bad for all those who thought they will be able to travel again, you wait, Australia will be closed off again once they find its there too!

Interesting fact, Omicron is the 15th letter of the alphabet, so this must be the 15th variation of the virus going by the WHO's naming strategy using the greek letters of the alphabet.
Two people have tested positive, on arrival into Sydney, and 14 passengers from the same flight, from various African countries that have the Omicron. I think I read somewhere, where it could be in the UK too.
That doesn't sound good, poor Australia - just as they're having widespread protests too.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Meanwhile, back at home, yet another death from covid. It seems to be a daily thing atm.

" Nine southern African countries have been added to New Zealand’s “very high-risk countries list”: South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, Seychelles, Malawi and Mozambique".

From 11.59pm on Sunday, only New Zealand citizens will be allowed to enter from these countries. They will be required to stay in managed isolation for a full 14-day period and undergo testing".
The one hopeful thing which might just happen as a result of the advent of omicrom is that those who've ben reluctant to get the vaccine may decide to now do so.
Cases mild so far, effect on older people especially with comorbidities unknown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/300...alarm-says
(28-11-2021, 01:20 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The one hopeful thing which might just happen as a result of the advent of omicrom is that those who've ben reluctant to get the vaccine may decide to now do so.
I highly doubt it, the vaccine doesn't work for it to any acceptable level and Pfizer have said it's going to take about 100 days to have a tweaked version ready, ironically we don't even have a tweaked version for delta yet.
(28-11-2021, 02:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 01:20 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The one hopeful thing which might just happen as a result of the advent of omicrom is that those who've ben reluctant to get the vaccine may decide to now do so.
I highly doubt it, the vaccine doesn't work for it to any acceptable level and Pfizer have said it's going to take about 100 data to have a tweaked version ready, ironically we don't even have a tweaked version for delta yet.
100 days?

I read about 90 days. That is what the scientists are saying in SA.
(28-11-2021, 02:31 PM)Kay2021 Wrote: Cases mild so far, effect on older people especially with comorbidities unknown

If this is an indication of what we can expect from Omicron it may be good news. High transmissible so it out competes other strains but with milder effects and potentially lower mortality. If this sweeps through the population it could well leave many with acquired immunity but with a relatively low cost in lives lost.

It will be interesting to see how this chapter of COVID plays out.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-p..._DmLpupExY
(28-11-2021, 02:42 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 02:34 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I highly doubt it, the vaccine doesn't work for it to any acceptable level and Pfizer have said it's going to take about 100 data to have a tweaked version ready, ironically we don't even have a tweaked version for delta yet.
100 days?

I read about 90 days. That is what the scientists are saying in SA.
Yes 100 days, must have done a typo sorry.
90 days is neither here nor there, so 3 months sounds about right, but would need to allow extra lead time for distribution and production.
(28-11-2021, 02:43 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 02:31 PM)Kay2021 Wrote: Cases mild so far, effect on older people especially with comorbidities unknown

If this is an indication of what we can expect from Omicron it may be good news. High transmissible so it out competes other strains but with milder effects and potentially lower mortality. If this sweeps through the population it could well leave many with acquired immunity but with a relatively low cost in lives lost.

It will be interesting to see how this chapter of COVID plays out.
Yes this is good news and is what most experts have been expecting, each new variant will always likely become less dangerous but more infectous.
the 2 arrivals from South Africa to Sydney have tested positive to the Omicron variant,

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...outh-wales
Crab2
(28-11-2021, 06:51 PM)crab2 Wrote: the 2 arrivals from South Africa to Sydney have tested positive to the Omicron variant,

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...outh-wales
No surprises there.
Either way, the good news is that it appears that the symptoms are much more mild.
We should just let this variation take over.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/202...ptoms.html
I'm loving how all over the place the media are with regards to Omicron.

What started out as "It's a killer! It's got the right amount of spikes! Shut the borders!" is now "Might replace Delta, and we're okay with that!" Knee-jerk reporting at its very best.

Half-expecting the leader of the opposition (is there one?) to criticise the government for shutting the borders and not letting it in.
(30-11-2021, 10:10 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: I'm loving how all over the place the media are with regards to Omicron.

What started out as "It's a killer! It's got the right amount of spikes! Shut the borders!" is now "Might replace Delta, and we're okay with that!" Knee-jerk reporting at its very best.

Half-expecting the leader of the opposition (is there one?) to criticise the government for shutting the borders and not letting it in.
You're not wrong there snoozy.

South Africa did the right thing by reporting it. From there, it seems to have taken on a life of it's own.

Wouldn't it be great though, if it's the one that can "slay the Delta beast".