Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.”

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Gandhi
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Empathy……”Our moral  sensitivity derives from our mental capacity for changing places in fancy with the sufferer”
Adam Smith.

‘Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots”
US politician Frank A. Clark.

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them”

Elie Wiesel

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world.”
Paul Farme

"There is always
A little truth behind just kidding
A little emotion behind I don’t care
A little pain behind I’m OK
A little need behind leave me alone."
Anon
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"When faced with the choice between two evils, I choose the one I haven't tried before."
Mae West

"If the doors of perception were
cleansed, everything would appear to
man as it is, infinite."
William Blake

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss,  and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen. “
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught & the last river been poisoned will we realise we cannot eat money.”
Native American Cree

'The rich are the scum of the earth in every country.'
G.K. Chesterton
"Be humble for you are made of earth
Be noble for you are made of stars."
Serbian proverb

“I have no time for privileged people who take advantage of their privileged position to attack the weakest people in our society.”
Professor Ranginui Walker

"Argue for your limitations & sure enough, they're yours."
Richard Bach

"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power."
P. J. O'Rourke
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. "
Shakespeare.

“I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once.“
Ashleigh Brilliant

'How you make people feel about themselves says a lot about you.'
Anon

'This whole ‘getting older & being responsible’ thing is fucking bullshit.'
Anon

'I usually give people more chances than they deserve, but once I’m done, I’m done.'
Anon

'I’d rather be broke with a good heart than rich with bad intentions.'
Anon

'Deep thought for the day:
When you clean out a vacuum cleaner.
You become a vacuum cleaner.'
Anon
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
Mahatma Gandhi.

"Blowing out someone else’s candle doesn’t make yours shine brighter."
Anon

“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.”
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

“Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt.”
Herbert Hoover
"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun."

"The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the toilet."

"The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when it's open."

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway."

"Jury: Twelve people who determine which client has the better attorney."

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

"A closed mouth gathers no feet."

Anon
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."
Anon

"J’ai bu l’ete’ comme un vin doux – I drank summer like a sweet wine."
Louis Aragon

"Nothing is more quiet than the sound of hair going grey."

"I have abandoned my search for truth and  am now looking for a good fantasy."

"Some of the things that will live longest in my memory never really happened."
Ashleigh Brilliant
"The future of work cannot be separated from the future of consumption.
The future of both will rest entirely on the foundation of a Basic Income."
Scott Santens

“I raise up my voice ….not so I can shout, but so those without a voice can be heard….we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.”
Malala Yousafzai

“And then men would care for all elders as if they were their own parents, love all children as if they were their own children. The aged would grow old & die in security; the youthful would have opportunities to contribute & prosper; & children would grow up under the guidance & protection of all. Widows, orphans, the disabled,the diseased – everyone would be cared for & loved.”
Confucius

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
"All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts."
Shakespeare

"People who think it is okay to prescribe the minutae of other people's lives lack both imagination and empathy, but most of all, they've never been there, so they literally know nothing."
OHH & Jon Snow

‘Hell is other people.’
Jean-Paul Sartre

“There is a fountain of youth; It is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love. When you learn to tap the source, you will truly have defeated age.”
Sophia Loren
"Power tends to corrupt & absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton

“True Love is when you are able to see yourself in another, when you recognize that there is no separation between you and any other Being in the Universe.”
Joseph P. Kauffman.

"The only  true standard of  greatness of any civilisation is our sense of social and moral responsibility in translating material wealth into human values and achieving our full potential as a caring society.”
Norman Kirk

“None of us are getting out alive, so please stop treating yourself like an afterthought. Eat the delicious food, walk in the sunshine, jump in the ocean, say the truth you are carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly, be kind, be weird. There's no time for anything else. “
Anthony Hopkins
"True friends are like stars; you can only recognize them when it's dark around you."

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

"The most beautiful curve on a woman’s body is her smile."

" The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."
Bob Marley
“Loneliness is the  poverty of self.
Solitude is the richness of self.”
May Sarton

“To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.”

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”

“Personally I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.”

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.”

“Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen.”

“There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not to fear to do or say what you believe to be right.”

“The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”

“All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honour; duty; mercy; hope.”

“The problems of victory are more agreeable than those of defeat, but they are no less difficult.”

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, it’s also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
Winston Churchill
"One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being."

"Don't forget that compared to a grownup person, every baby is a genius. Think of the capacity to learn! The freshness, the temperament, the will of a baby a few months old."

"Women are at last becoming persons first & wives second, & that is as it should be."
May Sarton

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal."
Picasso

“Capitalism without ethics is just greed.”
Joel Salatin
“Poverty is the absence of all human rights…. the frustrations, hostility and anger generated by abject poverty cannot sustain peace in any society.”
Mohammad Yunus Nobel Peace Prize winner 2006

''I do not myself find it agreeable to be 90, and I cannot imagine why it should seem so to other people. It is not that you have any fears about your own death, it is that your upholstery is already dead around you.''
Rebecca West

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, & the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."
Theodore Isaac Rubin

“He who sits quietly gives consent.”
Anon

“Laws grind the poor, & rich men rule the law.”
Oliver Goldsmith
'Either no individual has rights or else all have the same rights. Anyone who does not grant the rights of another person, whatever that person's religion, colour or sex, has by the same token forsworn his own.'

"If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed."

" Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins."
Benjamin Franklin

"Do not make the mistake of thinking that a small determined group of thoughtful, committed people cannot change the world’ indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead
"The people who live in the past must yield to the people who live in the future. Otherwise the world would begin to turn the other way round."
Arnold Bennett

"To err is human, to purr feline."
Robert Byrne

"Helping other people can be a cure. Not just for those who are in need but for your soul as well."
Marinela Reka

“A society in which consumption has to be artificially stimulated in order  to keep production going  is a society founded on trash and waste and such a society is a house built on sand.”
Dorothy Sayers

"I view things as they are without regard to place or person; my country & my religion is to do good."
Thomas Paine
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Mulla Nasrudin

"It is disturbing to discover in oneself these curious revelations of the validity of the Darwinian theory. If it is true that we have sprung from the ape, there are occasions when my own spring appears not to have been very far."

"We all have our little illusions about our own mental abilities."

"Mosquitoes were using my ankles as filling stations."

"To cement a new friendship, especially between foreigners or persons of a different social world, a spark with which both were secretly charged must fly from person to person, and cut across the accidents of place and time."

"All I have learned about horses is that they are beautiful overrated creatures and are all born quite insane ... "

Cornelia Otis Skinner
"Never argue with an idiot.
They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
Anon

"If men can run the world, why can't they stop wearing neckties? How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a little noose around your neck?"
Linda Ellerbee

"A bad peace is better than a good war."

"One of life’s greatest mysteries is how the boy who wasn’t good enough to marry your daughter can be the father of the smartest grandchild in the world."

“If the simple things in life don’t put a smile on your face, then you will never be truly happy.”

Yiddish sayings

" Dear Pantene,
My hair has really come alive since switching to your shampoo. "
Medusa
"People in glass houses shouldn’t walk around naked."

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

"To err is human , to really stuff things up requires a computer."
Anon

'Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!'
Billy Connolly

"One man's magic is another's engineering."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
Isaac Asimov