Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
"Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions."
Primo Levi.

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives."
Tolstoy.

"Why do men fight for their servitude as stubbornly as though it were their salvation?" –
Spinoza

"It's hard to get a man to understand something if his paycheck depends upon him not understanding it."
Upton Sinclair

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another; it is the only way."
Albert Einstein

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
Will Durant

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
Will Durant

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
Mark Twain
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency."
H.L. Mencken

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree long ago."
Warren Buffet

"What if we stopped celebrating being busy as a measurement of importance? What if instead we celebrated how much time we had spent listening, pondering, meditating & enjoying time with the most important people in our lives?
Anon

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
Friedrich Nietzsche
“I wish we were all hippies and did yoga, lived in cottages, smoked weed, accepted everyone for who they are, and listened to wonderful music. I wish money didn't make us who we are. I just wish we could redo society.”

"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction."

"The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow."

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."

"Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."

"Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live! "

"Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?"

"I no have education. I have inspiration. If I was educated, I would be a damn fool."

Bob Marley
"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you’re playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight. Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence & humour."
John Lennon

"A Woman's highest calling is to lead a man to his soul so as to unite him with source.
A Man's highest calling is to protect woman so she is free to walk the earth unharmed."
Cherokee Proverb

"Racism is a refuge for the ignorant. It seeks to divide and to destroy. It is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out."
Pierre Berton

"If at first you don't succeed - skydiving may not be right for you."
Anon
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Mahatma Gandhi

"Sometimes I just want someone to hug me and say "I know its been hard. You're going to be okay. Here's a coffee and five million dollars."
Anon

"Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
Anon

"Golden haired lads and lasses must,
as all mortals turn to dust."
Shakespeare
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. "

"There may be a great fire in our hearts, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke."

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."

"I often think that the night is more alive and more richly coloured than the day."

"I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle.”
Vincent Van Gogh
"We must be listened to: above and beyond our personal experience, we have collectively witnessed a fundamental unexpected event, fundamental precisely because unexpected, not foreseen by anyone.
It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere."

"Those who deny Auschwitz would be ready to remake it."

"Perhaps one cannot, what is more one must not, understand what happened, because to understand [the Holocaust] is almost to justify...no normal human being will ever be able to identify with Hitler, Himmler, Goebbels, Eichmann, and endless others. This dismays us, and at the same time gives us a sense of relief, because perhaps it is desirable that their words (and also, unfortunately, their deeds) cannot be comprehensible to us. They are non-human words and deeds, really counter-human."

"I am constantly amazed by man's inhumanity to man."

"Everybody is somebody's Jew."

"There is Auschwitz, and so there cannot be God."

"Auschwitz is outside of us, but it is all around us, in the air. The plague has died away, but the infection still lingers and it would be foolish to deny it. Rejection of human solidarity, obtuse and cynical indifference to the suffering of others, abdication of the intellect and of moral sense to the principle of authority, and above all, at the root of everything, a sweeping tide of cowardice, a colossal cowardice which masks itself as warring virtue, love of country and faith in an idea."
Primo Levi

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
“Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder. To search for the truth.”
Albert Einstein

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”
Omar Khayyám

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
Thomas Paine

“If you look after your staff, they’ll look after your customers. It’s as simple as that.”

“Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to.”
Richard Branson
“I don’t care that they stole my idea …  I care that they don’t have any of their own.”

“Of all things, I liked books best.”

“If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world.”

“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration.’

“Peace can only come as a natural consequence of universal enlightenment and merging of races, and we are still far from this blissful realization.”

“But instinct is something which transcends knowledge. We have, undoubtedly, certain finer fibres that enable us to perceive truths when logical deduction, or any other willful effort of the brain, is futile.”

“It’s not the love you make. It’s the love you give.”

“What one man calls God, another calls the laws of physics.”

“Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

“We crave for new sensations but soon become indifferent to them. The wonders of yesterday are today common occurrences.”

“Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity.”
Nikola Tesla
“Take care of our children. Take care of what they hear, take care of what they see, take care of what they feel. For how the children grow, so will be the shape of Aotearoa.”
Dame Whina Cooper

'Tis hard to say, if greater Want of Skill
Appear in Writing or in Judging ill,
But, of the two, less dang'rous is th' Offence,
To tire our Patience, than mis-lead our Sense
Some few in that, but Numbers err in this,
Ten Censure wrong for one who Writes amiss;
A Fool might once himself alone expose,
Now One in Verse makes many more in Prose. ... (1–8)
Alexander Pope, 1711, An Essay on Criticism

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”
L.P. Hartley
"I have seen the moment

of my greatness flicker

And I have seen

the eternal Footman

hold my coat, and snicker."
T. S. Eliot.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live."
Irish proverb

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams."

"No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing."

"Fiction was invented the day Jonas arrived home and told his wife that he was three days late because he had been swallowed by a whale."
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

"The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos & live in another’s world."
Bill Bullard
"Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders."
Albert Camus

"Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Steve Nokes replying to John Cleese:
“Snowflakes.”
John Cleese:
“Yes, I’ve heard this word. I think it’s used by sociopaths in an effort to discredit empathy.”

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast: man never is but always to be blest."
Alexander Pope
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.

“A wise woman wishes to be no one's enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone's victim.”

“I'm convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they're stones that don't matter. As long as you're breathing, it's never too late to do some good.”

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
Maya Angelou
“I said: What is past shall be no more, shall be no more!
But lo! They have started to stir again...”
Alexander Pushkin

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Winston Churchill

"When I am old, and comforted,
And done with this desire,
With Memory to share my bed
And Peace to share my fire,

I'll comb my hair in scalloped bands
Beneath my laundered cap,
And watch my cool and fragile hands
Lie light upon my lap.

And I will have a sprigged gown
With lace to kiss my throat;
I'll draw my curtain to the town,
And hum a purring note.

And I'll forget the way of tears,
And rock, and stir my tea.
But oh, I wish those blessed years
Were further than they be! "
Dorothy Parker

“I’m tired boss. Mostly, I’m tired of people being ugly to each other.”
John Coffey, The green mile.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money."
Cree Proverb

“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing – after they’ve tried everything else.”
Winston Churchill

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives."
Tolstoy.

"It's hard to get a man to understand something if his paycheck depends upon him not understanding it."
Upton Sinclair
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
Anon

"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"Any two humans on Earth have a common ancestor if you go back far enough in the family tree. So the fact that you draw a circle that's this big around a family and say, 'that's my family, and outside the circle it's not,' that's an arbitrary circle. We have genetic links among all human beings."
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag & carrying the cross.”
Attributed to Sinclair Lewis
“Time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.”

“The luck of having talent is not enough; one must also have a talent for luck. ”

“Music & love are the wings of the soul.”

” At least I have the modesty to admit that lack of modesty is one of my failings.”
Hector Berlioz

"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
Pablo Picasso

“Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.”
Chief Seattle
“I counted my years and discovered that I have fewer years left to live compared to the time I have lived until now."

"I feel like that kid who won a package of goodies: the first ate them eagerly, but when he perceived that there were few, he began to savour them deeply."

"I have no time for endless meetings where there's discussion of statutes, rules, procedures and regulations, knowing that it will not achieve anything."

"I have no time to withstand ridiculous people who, despite their chronological age have not grown."

"I don’t have time to deal with mediocrity."

"I won’t tolerate manipulators and opportunists."

"I do not want to be in meetings where inflated egos are paraded."

"I detest people who do not argue about content but titles."

"My time is too precious to discuss titles."

"I want the essence, my soul is in a hurry. Not many treats are left in the packet."

"I want to live among human people, very human. People, who can laugh at their mistakes.Who do not become full of themselves because of their triumphs.
Who do not consider themselves elite, before they have really become one.
Who do not run away from their responsibilities.
Who defend human dignity.
Who do not want anything else but to walk along with truth, righteousness, honesty and integrity."
My goal is to reach the end satisfied and at peace with my loved ones and my conscience.
I hope yours is the same, because the end will come anyway…”

Mário Raul de Morais Andrade
“If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.”

“We are all children of the Great Spirit, we all belong to Mother Earth. Our planet is in great trouble and if we keep carrying old grudges and do not work together, we will all die.”

“There is no death, only a change of worlds. “

“You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

“All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man... the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.”

“When the Earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear, when that happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.”

“We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle: these are our brothers. All things are connected like the blood which unites one's family.”

“Take only memories, leave only footprints.”

“All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth, befalls the children of the Earth.”
Chief Seattle