Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
“Choose your leaders with wisdom & forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears.
To be led by a fool is to be led by the opportunists who control the fool.
To be led by a thief is to offer up your most precious treasures to be stolen.
To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies.
To be led by a tyrant is to sell yourself & those you love into slavery.”
Octavia Butler, Parable of the Talents, Earthseed

“If our Christianity causes us to look at how a poor person spends their welfare cheque with inherent suspicion all while we look at how the exorbitantly rich accumulate mass amounts of wealth with inherent admiration, we need a grand reversal.”
Rev. Benjamin Cremer
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"U.S. Billionaire wealth has now hit $5.5trillion.That's an 88% increase since the pandemic hit. Meanwhile, over 70% of Americans are living paycheque to paycheque. If this doesn't convince you wealth inequality is out of control, I don't know what will.”
Anon

“I“If You're not careful,the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, & loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
“Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.”
Terry Pratchett

“When the rich wage war, its the poor who die.”
Jean-Paul Sartre
“That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”
Jhumpa Lahiri

“We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It's not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can,improve the solutions & pass them on.”
Richard P Feynman
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better.”
Maya Angelou

“The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor.”
Victor Hugo
“Both optimists & pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.”
George Bernard Shaw

“The purpose of separation of church & state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soils of Europe in blood for centuries.”
James Madison
“Religion & government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together.”
James Madison

“For myself, I am driven by two main philosophies:know more today about the world than I knew yesterday & lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
Neil DeGrasse Tyson
“If, with the literate, I am
impelled to try an epigram,
I never seek to take the credit;
we all assume that Oscar said it.”
Dorothy Parker

“As humans, we like to think we're all in charge of our own destiny. But every now & then, a microscopic entity reminds us that we are not.”
Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"The Earth laughs in flowers" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“I would much rather be led by a decent human being who sometimes misses the mark, than a purposefully cruel sociopath who has no concern for other people's pain.”
John Pavlovitz

“Take me or leave me; or,as is the usual order of things, both.”
Dorothy Parker
“God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things & eveil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
Steven Weinberg
“The surest cure for vanity is loneiness.”
Thomas Wolfe

“If a man has talent & cannot use it, he has failed. If he has a talent & uses only half of it,he has partly failed. If he has talent & learns somehow to use the whole of it, he has gloriously succeeded & won a satisfaction few men will ever know.”
Thomas Wolfe
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments or publicity.”
Thomas Wolfe

“You can't go home again.”
Thomas Wolfe
“Make your mistakes, take your chances, look silly but keep on going. Don't freeze up.”
Thomas Wolfe

"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone.”
Thomas Wolfe
Eça de Queirós - Over the nakedness of truth, the diaphanous cloak of fantasy
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“Human life is but a series of footnotes to a vast, obscure, unfinished masterpiece.”
Thomas Wolfe

“Old stones do not break, they merely tinkle.”
Thomas Wolfe
“So then there is nothing but the goal, the vision to keep climbing toward. The rest is only the world we've left behind.”
Thomas Wolfe

“We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails & burning our best minds at the stake.”
Catherine Fahringer
“If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
Neale Donald Walsch
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - George Santayana
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

-Immanuel Kant