Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
I don't know what word in the English language - I can't find one – that applies to people who are willing to sacrifice the literal existence of organised human life so they can put a few more dollars into highly overstuffes pockets.
The word 'evil' doesn't even begin to approach it.”
Noam Chomsky

Researchers have proven scientifically, that humans are all one people. The colour of our ancestor's skin & ultimately my skin & your skin is a consequence of ultra violet light, of latitude & climate. Despite our recent sad conflicts here in the U.S. There's really no such thing as race. We are one species – each of us much, much more alike than different.
We all come from Africa. We are all of the same stardust. We are all going to live & die on the same planet, a Pale Blue Dot in the vastness os space. We have to work together.”
Bill Nye

You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, & a compulsion to do something about it.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty.
You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck, & drag him a quarter of a million miles out & say:
Look at that, you son of a bitch.”
Edgar Mitchell (1930-2016) Apollo 13 astronaut

Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Oh yes, love all those. I adore all ancient philosophers, and their infinite foresight and wisdom knows no bounds.

"Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul." — Democritus, lived circa 400 BCE in Greece.

He is most famous for the development of the atomic theory of the universe, or that everything in the universe is comprised of indivisible atoms.
Strange lot, those ancient Greeks - no lack of wisdom but they had slaves & women weren't exactly full citizens in the same way as men were.
Nonetheless there are plenty of their old sayings that I love; this is a favourite:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Marcus Aurelius
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Here is a good one ........ SHIT HAPPENS
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(27-11-2021, 03:34 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Here is a good one ........ SHIT HAPPENS
  Forest Gump, I believe... Angel Big Grin
(27-11-2021, 04:00 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 03:34 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Here is a good one ........ SHIT HAPPENS
  Forest Gump, I believe... Angel Big Grin
I think you mean Forest Grump. Big Grin
(27-11-2021, 04:04 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 04:00 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:   Forest Gump, I believe... Angel Big Grin
I think you mean Forest Grump. Big Grin
  I think you're probably right... Angel Big Grin
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.

Josh Billings
(27-11-2021, 06:26 PM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.

Josh Billings
  Excellent one - if only someone had said that to those people who wrote all the 'holy books'... Rolleyes Angel
(27-11-2021, 04:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 04:04 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: I think you mean Forest Grump. Big Grin
  I think you're probably right... Angel Big Grin
I often am. Big Grin

Follow me, and i won't lead you astray. lol
(27-11-2021, 06:58 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 04:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:   I think you're probably right... Angel Big Grin
I often am. Big Grin

Follow me, and i won't lead you astray. lol
Much.... Rolleyes

The Senility Prayer

"Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do & the eyesight to tell the difference."
Anon

"May I share the story of an old chinese farmer..whose horse ran off. When his neighbour came to console him the farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?” When his horse returned the next day with a herd of horses following her, the foolish neighbour came to congratulate him on his good fortune. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the farmer.
Then, when the farmer’s son broke his leg trying to ride one of the new horses, the foolish neighbour came to console him again. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the farmer.
When the army passed through, conscripting men for war, they passed over the farmer’s son because of his broken leg. When the foolish man came to congratulate the farmer that his son would be spared, again the farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?” ....where does it end ???"

Anon

"People are like teabags; you never know how strong they’ll be till they’re in hot water."

Eleanor Roosevelt
To live a happy and fulfilled life, don't pursue happiness, pursue meaning.

A meaningful life is not about being rich, being popular, or being perfect, a meaningful life is making a worthwhile contribution to the world, sharing a part of you to touch the lives of others, and making a positive difference wherever you go.

Your life is meaningful when it is not lived for yourself alone but also for others, when it adds value and impacts other lives in different ways.
What's life if not to fulfill the purpose for your creation and make the world grateful that you lived.

By living in line with your purpose, you find fulfillment, and in that fulfillment lies true happiness.

The more meaning we find in life, the happier we feel and the more we feel encouraged to pursue greater meaning and purpose.
The goal of life is not happiness, but a deeper meaning. It's not excitement but fulfillment.
"They are as sick that surfeit with too much, as they that starve with nothing."

Shakespeare

"When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

"Civilised behaviour, I believe, is more often measured by what a person restrains himself from doing than by what he does."

Anon
“Poverty is not a character failing or a lack of motivation. Poverty is a shortage of money.”

Barbara Ehrenreich

"It has been said that the love of money is the root of all evil. The want of money is so quite as truly."

Samuel Butler.

“When wealth is passed off as merit, bad luck is seen as bad character. This is how ideologues justify punishing the sick & the poor. But poverty is neither a crime nor a character flaw. Stigmatise those who let people die, not those who struggle to live.”

Sarah Kendzior
(27-11-2021, 02:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Strange lot, those ancient Greeks - no lack of wisdom but they had slaves & women weren't exactly full citizens in the same way as men were.
Nonetheless there are plenty of their old sayings that I love; this is a favourite:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Marcus Aurelius
Wasn't Marcus Aurelius a roman?
"Universe doesn't give a damn about what's fair and right..."

p296, Inhibitor Phase, Alistair Reynolds, Gollanz, 2021
"The character building virtues of self help are regularly preached by those who do not want to give help to those in desperate need."

Eva Figes

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed."

Herman Melville

(30-11-2021, 09:09 PM)namtak Wrote:
(27-11-2021, 02:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Strange lot, those ancient Greeks - no lack of wisdom but they had slaves & women weren't exactly full citizens in the same way as men were.

Marcus Aurelius
Wasn't Marcus Aurelius a roman?
Yep, he was indeed.  Wink
"The most real thing is one's own soul. That may be set down as an axiom; and being true, the real business of life is to keep one's soul in the state of harmony, of love, of joy, in which along is the condition of creative activity.

As the most real thing is the soul, so the most unreal thing is any quality opposed to spiritual states, — as envy, hatred, or despair. The circumstances or events that throw us into any of these conditions render us negative to true advancement.

And so, measuring life by the ideal, one has no moral right to let himself be so disappointed or depressed or disturbed as to be in any wise turned aside from his real business, — the right living.

~Lilian Whiting (1847–1942), "To Clasp Eternal Beauty: The True Realities," The World Beautiful: Second Series, 1896
“So wickedly, devilishly false is that common objection, ‘They are poor, only because they are idle’.

John Wesley

"To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely that there's more idleness and abuse of government favours among the economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged"
Norman Mailer

"To recommend thrift to the poor is both grotesque & insulting. It is like advising a man who is starving to eat less."
Oscar Wilde

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."
George Bernard Shaw
When you left,
you thought you'd broken me

I thought you'd broken me.

But actually,
you just broke the cage I was living in