Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Internet trolls
As if we didn't know it, turns out trolls are just horrible people. A reminder perhaps to not bother even engaging with the sad creatures?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/...j0bZY78xno 

Confused
That must be why the other place has banned the mention of trolls - or even allusions to trolls. It must be a wonderful place, to not have any.
I do have other cameras!
It helps to remember that trolls don't actually believe what they're posting, so you can't beat them with logic or fact. When you're being trolled, the best thing to do is to ignore the posts. Eventually, they'll probably tire themselves out.

The true tragedy of trolling, is that people have committed suicide because of the impact that this can cause. It is truly devastating.
at that place across the road, the free speech site
you cannot use the word troll in any context.
admin thinks that banning the word somehow protects the
m from trolls.

sorry pacifika just now read your post
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
you cant say fuck either
yes i know
Well, that's a bit shit. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
(27-11-2021, 02:05 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, that's a bit shit. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
 Interesting question; free speech apparently includes the 'freedom' to make racist remarks.

Odd sort of free speech Huh
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Eeeuuww yuck. Not keen on that stuff...
you arent allowed to deny theres evidence in the The Big Lie in American Politics either.
even though there is no evidence.
You cannot say 'theres no evidence of election fraud in usa.'
its a bannable offence.
on the "Free Speech" site.
tragic.
one just has to read the covid threads to get the picture. its been hijacked by CT/trump/Antivaxers.
its an extreme right wing echo chamber.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I read somewhere that there's a call for online sites to unmask any trolls - that would be interesting, might calm them down.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Sometimes people accuse me of being a troll if my point of view isn't the same as theirs. I am always polite though, so not sure if it counts as being a troll?
(28-11-2021, 08:02 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Sometimes people accuse me of being a troll if my point of view isn't the same as theirs. I am always polite though, so not sure if it counts as being a troll?
Whether a poster is acting as a troll has more to do with how they present their point rather than the content of it in many cases from what I've seen. Drop a vitual hand genade into a discussion with no considered basis for that opinion, rather than offering a considered argument, is trolling so far as I'm concerned.
More about why they enter a discussion, or start one, for me. It is all about them satisfying some personal need...
(28-11-2021, 08:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: More about why they enter a discussion, or start one, for me. It is all about them satisfying some personal need...
The old term was 'shit stirring' but trolling often go way beyond that in these days of online anonymity.
I have to be honest, and say that I don't think I've ever been trolled, and I'm not sure I'd know if I was or not. Maybe that just means I'm a bit thick, or slow on the uptake, but for me, it just means that my brain doesn't acknowledge such BS, as I personally would never get involved in it, and nor would I expect anyone that I know, would either. Anyone else, well I just think that that is their opinion, it's not the same as mine, and they can try and change my mind, but I know myself well enough to know what I believe in. In other words, I just ignore it.

However, when we are talking about trolling someone who is vulnerable, or is not world wise, or people wise, is perhaps a bit naive, or who has very low self esteem and self worth, then we're talking a whole new ball game. That is when it is much more serious of an issue, and needs to be dealt with. Otherwise, we are going to lose more lives, because of trolling bullies, who are simply getting their jollies, because they can.

I think that alot more needs to be done at home...ie watching our kids more carefully, by needing to know who they're talking to, what they're talking about, etc etc. Parents arn't always proactive in checking in.

Then there are the schools, who also have a role to play.

I could write a book on this topic.

Disclaimer: No blame is attached, where I'm talking about parents roles.
(28-11-2021, 08:13 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(28-11-2021, 08:02 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Sometimes people accuse me of being a troll if my point of view isn't the same as theirs. I am always polite though, so not sure if it counts as being a troll?
Whether a poster is acting as a troll has more to do with how they present their point rather than the content of it in many cases from what I've seen. Drop a vitual hand genade into a discussion with no considered basis for that opinion, rather than offering a considered argument, is trolling so far as I'm concerned.

You might say that, and there is certainly something to be said for what you say, and I would agree, by saying that it is better to try and refute a point than attack the poster or the tone of their writing.
Best not to give the trolls any attention as that is what they are looking for. Ignore, block but don't try to refute.

We have a distant family member who posts provocatively on our family FB group, he dogwhistles racism, anti-vaxism and misogyny. If someone pulls him up on his misleading and offensive remarks he counters by saying that he was just joking and we shouldn't be so gullible as to take him seriously. I don't engage with him any more as it's a waste of time and can be upsetting.
I'm quite glad that our generation didn't grow up with the internet - it must be an absolute nightmare for teenagers sometimes. Trolls are just utterly awful people, apparently lacking in even a tiny shred of empathy.
Trolling in whatever form it is used or appears is not more or less at it's most basic level than a very deliberate ongoing attempt to upset someone.

I"m not sure why people get any kind of satisfaction from doing that - it happens in real life, (bullying), also and it's nasty.
(29-11-2021, 09:25 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm quite glad that our generation didn't grow up with the internet - it must be an absolute nightmare for teenagers sometimes. Trolls are just utterly awful people, apparently lacking in even a tiny shred of empathy.

What generation is that please? What if you are a younger generation, but were perhaps 12 years old when the internet became common in '96?