Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your definition of a 'Greenie'?
Question 
I it amusing that the term 'Greenie' is so often used as a derogatory reference to infer those using it see it as a mindset that conflicts with the way they themselves choose to live their lives. However, despite raising the question in numerous threads in the past I have yet to receive a reply that succinctly explains what exactly they condider a 'Greenie' to be.

So step up and put your money where your mouth is so to speak and explain to us all what you consider these so denigrated individuals to be and why you consider them such a threat to your version of life. Huh
"it amusing that the term 'Greenie' is so often used as a derogatory reference to infer those using it see it as a mindset that conflicts with the way they themselves choose to live their lives"

I agree with this statement. I dislike all of the broad terms used to dismiss the views of any group - boomer, PC, snowflake, Karen, millennial, Leftie etc. People who resort to this sort of arrogant dismissal are unable to make a coherent argument. (And other than recycling, I don't share many/all of the environmental views of the Green Party).

I keep editing this because you've raised an issue that really bugs me. The minute someone writes or says one of the terms mentioned above to dismiss another person, I immediately doubt their intelligence.
I agree. And I would add "woke" to the list of perjorative terms.
The incredible hulk.
Social justice warrior always raised my eyebrows. What on Earth is bad about fighting for social justice?

And what is so wrong about wanting to clean up our mess on this beautiful planet?
Tree Hugger
(29-11-2021, 07:35 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Tree Hugger
I was asking for a definition, that's only a synonym.
What's so bad about hugging a tree? There are a lot of trees I would happily swap for a lot of human beings. They don't cause trouble, they produce all kinds of good things including the air we breathe, and if recent science is on the right track they have a kind of sentience we have never imagined.

And they are so beautiful.

Fact is we need more of them and fewer of us. A few hugs in return for all the damage we do to them isn't much to ask...
I think it describes someone who's aware of the problems we face with regard to our environment around the world & who tries to as best they can, live without causing further damage & do a bit of repair work here & there as they go. And even if that's only in a small way, every little bit helps.

Planting more trees makes good sense & some efforts at regenerating the Great Barrier reef do seem to be working, but we do need to do more.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-11-2021, 08:15 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 07:35 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Tree Hugger
I was asking for a definition, that's only a synonym.

Look, no need to get offended, I self identify as a bit of a tree hugger.

But my definition of a tree hugger (I find the term "Greenie" tends to be used as an insult), is someone who wishes to conserve resources and reduce waste, especially waste which cannot be disposed of.

It hurts me to see how much waste there is which cannot be disposed of, but is just buried as there is nothing else which can be done with it. Surely we cannot keep just burying all of our problems for all time?

Couldn't one try to reuse existing articles rather than causing new articles to be manufactured? That could possibly conserve resources?
(29-11-2021, 10:46 AM)TygerTung Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 08:15 AM)harm_less Wrote: I was asking for a definition, that's only a synonym.

Look, no need to get offended, I self identify as a bit of a tree hugger.

But my definition of a tree hugger (I find the term "Greenie" tends to be used as an insult), is someone who wishes to conserve resources and reduce waste, especially waste which cannot be disposed of.

It hurts me to see how much waste there is which cannot be disposed of, but is just buried as there is nothing else which can be done with it. Surely we cannot keep just burying all of our problems for all time?

Couldn't one try to reuse existing articles rather than causing new articles to be manufactured? That could possibly conserve resources?
There's a 'right to repair' movement started which may prove interesting. Our govt is looking at legislation now so if that goes ahead it could eventually mean anything purchased has to be repairable within reason, I guess.  Big Grin
 https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...arker.html
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
That is excellent news as so much stuff produced these days is designed not to be serviceable. Back in the old days this wasn't the case, although I guess this is also due to market forces as non-serviceable things can be produced cheaper, and cheaper is what people want right?
(29-11-2021, 11:02 AM)TygerTung Wrote: That is excellent news as so much stuff produced these days is designed not to be serviceable. Back in the old days this wasn't the case, although I guess this is also due to market forces as non-serviceable things can be produced cheaper, and cheaper is what people want right?
Or just what they can afford, perhaps. I don't think anyone really - except perhaps for manufacturers - would object to things being repairable.
(29-11-2021, 01:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 11:02 AM)TygerTung Wrote: That is excellent news as so much stuff produced these days is designed not to be serviceable. Back in the old days this wasn't the case, although I guess this is also due to market forces as non-serviceable things can be produced cheaper, and cheaper is what people want right?
Or just what they can afford, perhaps. I don't think anyone really - except perhaps for manufacturers - would object to things being repairable.

Buy second hand, that way it is affordable. Did people used to do that in previous times? Before everything was outrageously cheap new?
(29-11-2021, 02:18 PM)TygerTung Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 01:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Or just what they can afford, perhaps. I don't think anyone really - except perhaps for manufacturers - would object to things being repairable.

Buy second hand, that way it is affordable. Did people used to do that in previous times? Before everything was outrageously cheap new?
Yep, & some of us still do, where possible. But mostly back in the day, while things were made to last they were also often repairable.
My Mum used to sew me pretty little dresses, and knit me lovely cardi's to match...of course.

Does anyone sew there own clothes these days?

I did use to sew my girls some things, but was never that good.
My grandmother made most of mine & mum knitted cardigans & jerseys, & once, socks. Which were OK until you wore them, when they were really uncomfortable.

I used to occasionally make myself a skirt or dress years ago - they were wearable, but never all that wonderful. I didn't get the sewing gene..Smile

And these days, the price of material is hardly worthwhile unless you have really good sewing skills.
I wear hand knitted socks in the Winter. Love them. Soft and warm and stretchy which helps when getting the blasted things on is a challenge.

Interesting fact too, wool fibres in the wash break down once in the environment with two to three months. Synthetic fibres simply add to the microplastic burden.

So knitting is pretty Green when you think about it.

And like sewing, it is a skill that can be taught. it is not magically bequeathed like eye colour or height...
I can remember Mum unpulling old jerseys to re-use the wool in other things; most people did that then. And cut down old clothes from the adults to make 'new' things for smaller kids. And of course everyone had a veg garden then, & compost usually - we seem to have been more green in the past.
There is a trader over the way who does that. Her listings are in Yarn, and she is making a good living from it too. I am often tempted, but she cannot guarantee yarn composition so I don't indulge.