Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asking for help? This is what we need to know
Question 
The idea of this category is for people to discuss computing, and to get tech advice on a variety of different topics, from computers and laptops to smartphones and TVs.

To get the best possible help, there's generally a typical list of information that will be needed:

1) What's the problem?
Describe the issue in as much detail as possible, including any error messages. Be specific. 
For example: When I open Microsoft Word, it crashes back to the desktop, and I see an error message that says "error 123". 

2) What hardware are you using?
Desktop computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc?

3) If your computer has a make and model, what is it?
For example: HP Elitebook 840, or Samsung Galaxy S10

3) What operating system are you using?
Windows 7, Windows 10, Linux, Mac OS, Android, iOS, etc?

5) What program (if any) is causing the issue?
Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft Word, etc?

That should be enough info for people to get started on the troubleshooting process.

Feel free to add to this guys Smile
Also describe as exactly as possible what you have already tried in attempts to rectify the error / problem.
For email questions, describe how you access your email eg webmail or email client.
It's hard to even know what to ask, when you're an old timer, who doesn't understand the lingo.

I think I know now, what the router is.
It's the little box with lights on it.
Right?
lol
Quote:It's hard to even know what to ask, when you're an old timer, who doesn't understand the lingo.
Then you need to get someone like geeks on wheels in as they can see stuff like that in the flesh so to speak.
Online help must be hell. Back in the 70s I used to maintain PABX exchanges. We would get a fault report of what the customer thought was wrong, then we had to go and check the equipment. What the customer told you was often different to what fault control reported, and then what you found was different again.
I do have other cameras!
(17-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Praktica Wrote: Online help must be hell.

Can be, being able to remote into the users desktop helps bigtime (This is in a trusted corporate environment mind you)
Tongue 
(17-02-2020, 06:37 AM)Me+Me Wrote: Also describe as exactly as possible what you have already tried in attempts to rectify the error / problem.

1) It's not working.
2) I've tried turning it off and on again
(17-11-2021, 04:26 PM)Outsider Wrote:
(17-02-2020, 06:37 AM)Me+Me Wrote: Also describe as exactly as possible what you have already tried in attempts to rectify the error / problem.

1) It's not working.
2) I've tried turning it off and on again
Great!- Call geeks n wheels 0800fuxxed :p
(17-11-2021, 01:44 PM)CorylusMaxima Wrote: For email questions, describe how you access your email eg webmail or email client.
You actually sometimes need to be a LOT more descriptive about the info you require, because for instance, in the situation you describe, (an issue with email), the user simply has NO idea WTF 'webmail or email client' is.........

I tend to suggest that they describe what they're doing as if we are blind because essentially we are.

(17-11-2021, 03:01 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: It's hard to even know what to ask, when you're an old timer, who doesn't understand the lingo.

I think I know now, what the router is.
It's the little box with lights on it.
Right?
lol
Maybe/probably.  There might be more than one little box with lights on it lol but yeah.
I prefer it when there is very little information given and you have to prise it out of the person with the issue.
I'd like to add, be prepared to come back and give feedback on the advice you are given. When someone has given their time and expertise it's polite and potentially useful to others.