Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Covid Pass and Google Wallet
I'm not dumb technologically speaking - in fact I've got a lot more knowledge than your average citizen but I'm F*cked if I can see how to add this stupid Covid pass to the Google Wallet.

Not that it matters a lot I have a shortcut on the home screen of my phone to a .jpg of it but it's annoying me. 

Anyone ?
No idea, but due to excessive paranoia due to reading too many dystopian novels, I wouldn't feel very comfortable with having a "google pay/wallet" spyware feature on my cellphone in any case.

An image on your phone which could be scanned sounds much better to me, or perhaps just a wallet card seems optimal.
(29-11-2021, 09:35 AM)Me+Me Wrote: I'm not dumb technologically speaking - in fact I've got a lot more knowledge than your average citizen but I'm F*cked if I can see how to add this stupid Covid pass to the Google Wallet.

Not that it matters a lot I have a shortcut on the home screen of my phone to a .jpg of it but it's annoying me. 

Anyone ?
just did mine, only issues I had was having to update the google pay app, since I don't have anything updating automagically.

pretty much was click the link in the email, select the option to add the card, agree to the agreement (scroll down to accept) then you can also optionally place a link on the homescreen
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I'm rather challenged in this area, and I'm f*cked if I know what size I should print it out. I want to laminate it. Anyone? Is 10 x 14cm about right? That's an A6 size, but it seems a bit big?
I printed out the whole page at a4, and cut out the part with my details and the QR code.
I do have other cameras!
(29-11-2021, 12:50 PM)Praktica Wrote: I printed out the whole page at a4, and cut out the part with my details and the QR code.
Duh!! Of course. That makes sense. I do sometimes wonder why me and my brain don't engage at the same time. Big Grin

Thank you. Idea
Neighbour proudly presented his neatly laminated pass to a scanner, and it won't scan through the plastic.

Bummer.
Photo 
(29-11-2021, 04:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Neighbour proudly presented his neatly laminated pass to a scanner, and it won't scan through the plastic.

Bummer.

Oh dear, but a bit of a...

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
I glued my cut out pass to a piece of card, and put it in a plastic bag.
I do have other cameras!
I think I will try duraseal.
(29-11-2021, 12:15 PM)king1 Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 09:35 AM)Me+Me Wrote: I'm not dumb technologically speaking - in fact I've got a lot more knowledge than your average citizen but I'm F*cked if I can see how to add this stupid Covid pass to the Google Wallet.

Anyone ?
just did mine, only issues I had was having to update the google pay app, since I don't have anything updating automagically.

pretty much was click the link in the email, select the option to add the card, agree to the agreement (scroll down to accept) then you can also optionally place a link on the homescreen
I click on the link in the email but it doesn't give me anything after that except a statement that the Covid card can only be added to the phone using Google Pay and a link to 'learn more' which is completetly useless.  

Oh well it's superfluous anyway I have a shortcut on the home screen to a jpg.  It just annoyed me that it's neither easy nor obvious, (nor in fact does it work for me at all),  to use the supposedly 'secure' method they're promoting of the Google Pay wallet.
(30-11-2021, 10:14 AM)Me+Me Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 12:15 PM)king1 Wrote: just did mine, only issues I had was having to update the google pay app, since I don't have anything updating automagically.

I click on the link in the email but it doesn't give me anything after that except a statement that the Covid card can only be added to the phone using Google Pay and a link to 'learn more' which is completetly useless.  

Oh well it's superfluous anyway I have a shortcut on the home screen to a jpg.  It just annoyed me that it's neither easy nor obvious, (nor in fact does it work for me at all),  to use the supposedly 'secure' method they're promoting of the Google Pay wallet.
.... and it looks like your method was best anyway to avoid disappearing shortcuts. I did it your way so thanks for letting us know that method.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...roid-users
(30-11-2021, 10:14 AM)Me+Me Wrote:
(29-11-2021, 12:15 PM)king1 Wrote: just did mine, only issues I had was having to update the google pay app, since I don't have anything updating automagically.

Check that your phone actually has google play installed, i've seen a couple that don't and need to download from app store
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(15-12-2021, 07:24 AM)king1 Wrote:
(30-11-2021, 10:14 AM)Me+Me Wrote: I click on the link in the email but it doesn't give me anything after that except a statement that the Covid card can only be added to the phone using Google Pay and a link to 'learn more' which is completetly useless.  

Check that your phone actually has google play installed, i've seen a couple that don't and need to download from app store
Errrm   it does.
I downloaded Google pay but was unsuccessful in downloading my vaccine certificate, but discovered I could screenshot it, crop it and send it to Google drive. I clicked on the 3 dots next to it in google drive, renamed it, made it available offline and added to my home screen. There may be easier and better ways to do it, but that worked for me. I assume it is just as safe to have it in google drive as in google pay.
I cheated and got my chemist to sort it all out for me.
ii just made the passport my screen saver
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I downloaded the pass into my Adobe Acrobat app on my phone, which saved it as a document. My pass is two taps away.
It's also saved as a screenshot in my photo app, and in my email inbox in its original form. 

Don't really want to have it on my homepage or desktop on my phone OR in a wallet. Would rather look at a photo of my mum. Smile
I find it useful as a shortcut on my homescreen but wouldnt want a full screen of it.
(15-12-2021, 12:30 PM)hazelnut2 Wrote: I downloaded the pass into my Adobe Acrobat app on my phone, which saved it as a document. My pass is two taps away.
It's also saved as a screenshot in my photo app, and in my email inbox in its original form. 

Don't really want to have it on my homepage or desktop on my phone OR in a wallet. Would rather look at a photo of my mum. Smile
You don't put the Vax pass on the phone as a background pic you just link it to a shortcut on the home screen its very easy.

(15-12-2021, 10:15 AM)Magoo Wrote: ii just made the passport my screen saver
Screen savers dont' really exist for phones and if they did by defintion a screen 'saver' is  MOVING picture, (which obviously wouldn't be much use as a method of displaying the Vax pass),  because thats how they 'save' the screen from getting images burnt into the screen which then show forever.   

So anyway what you more likely did was set it as a background for your home screen.  Which is a bit weird but if that's what you want then fine.  Lol.  It's very simple to set any file you like as a shortcut to the home screen.