Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its Over Luxon Wins
to be fair though, this housing crisis was decades in the making and was never going to be solved within one or two terms in office, the foundation needed to be laid first. If they're guilty of anything it is of being overly optimistic.. and then throw in a pandemic and tens of thousand over overseas kiwis returning home...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-01-2022, 09:40 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Actually I see new homes rising around us here on the Shore every time I go out. After a long drawn out period of all talk and no digging, all of a sudden cloned apartment blocks are going up all over the place - private developments, while the state is developing several large groups of social housing - multiple unit blocks that should be homes for lots of people by the end of this year.

But, whether that will significantly spike the rising property prices is all guesswork. I doubt it personally, the few who own land are not too willing to let those values drop despite the fact it is all paper wealth. And I am not convinced apartments are going to replace actual homes on actual land for many of us, though getting smaller is definitely a trend to be welcomed.

The reality is until the gaps close more, the inequity in our community will continue and that is not good for any of us, long term.
Trouble is you don't solve gaps by dragging down the top and giving free stuff to the bottom.    
Unfortunately while we measure "poverty" as a % of average income you will simply never solve it.  Reality you will never solve poverty.

"Surely you're not saying
We have the resources
To save the poor from their lot?
There will be poor  always
Pathletically struggling
Look at the good things youve got"

(02-01-2022, 09:52 AM)king1 Wrote: to be fair though, this housing crisis was decades in the making and was never going to be solved within one or two terms in office, the foundation needed to be laid first.  If they're guilty of anything it is of being overly optimistic..  and then throw in a pandemic and tens of thousand over overseas kiwis returning home...
National wanted to redo the RMA to make freeing up land easier - Labour refused to help.
Now 6 years later they are redoing the RMA to make freeing up land easier, changing building codes etc - National have offered to assist. 

Overly optimistic is a nice term - or you could say totally unrealistic - what almost every housing expert told them.
Quote:National wanted to redo the RMA to make freeing up land easier - Labour refused to help.
Now 6 years later they are redoing the RMA to make freeing up land easier, changing building codes etc - National have offered to assist. 

Overly optimistic is a nice term - or you could say totally unrealistic - what almost every housing expert told them.
or politically savvy, because now Labour are seen to be the changemakers, with poor old Judith at second fiddle on the podium

(ignore that, deleted yours by mistake instead of my own mess)

(02-01-2022, 10:13 AM)king1 Wrote:
Quote:National wanted to redo the RMA to make freeing up land easier - Labour refused to help.

or politically savvy, because now Labour are seen to be the changemakers, with poor old Judith at second fiddle on the podium

Shame they didn't assist 6 years ago - then the housing crisis may not have become housing Armageddon- all under their watch.
(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:13 AM)king1 Wrote: or politically savvy, because now Labour are seen to be the changemakers, with poor old Judith at second fiddle on the podium

then the housing crisis may not have become housing Armageddon- all under their watch.
Not sure anyone really believes it's all Labours fault...

(02-01-2022, 10:24 AM)king1 Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: then the housing crisis may not have become housing Armageddon- all under their watch.
Not sure anyone really believes it's all Labours fault...
Sure ot has been happening for a while.  However under both this Labour government and the last Labour government it got significantly worse.  A year 11 economics student could have pointed out that dumping massive amounts of money into the economy causes issues - especially when it frees up cash for borrowing and is attached to massive government spending that isn't well targeted nor used to improve infastructure for future growth.

Now we see the results.  Rising interest rates attempting to slow runaway inflation combined with double digit house increases.  Labour sowed the wind - now reap the whirlwind.
(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:13 AM)king1 Wrote: or politically savvy, because now Labour are seen to be the changemakers, with poor old Judith at second fiddle on the podium

Shame they didn't assist 6 years ago - then the housing crisis may not have become housing Armageddon- all under their watch.
How long did the Nats have?
(02-01-2022, 09:40 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Actually I see new homes rising around us here on the Shore every time I go out. After a long drawn out period of all talk and no digging, all of a sudden cloned apartment blocks are going up all over the place - private developments, while the state is developing several large groups of social housing - multiple unit blocks that should be homes for lots of people by the end of this year.

But, whether that will significantly spike the rising property prices is all guesswork. I doubt it personally, the few who own land are not too willing to let those values drop despite the fact it is all paper wealth. And I am not convinced apartments are going to replace actual homes on actual land for many of us, though getting smaller is definitely a trend to be welcomed.

The reality is until the gaps close more, the inequity in our community will continue and that is not good for any of us, long term.
And the not too distant past shows very clearly - much to the chagrin of some on the right - that society doesn't descend into chaos if there are far fewer, or virtually no, extremely poor people.
On the contrary, its that widening gap between the haves & have nots which leads to chaos of various kinds.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(02-01-2022, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Shame they didn't assist 6 years ago - then the housing crisis may not have become housing Armageddon- all under their watch.
How long did the Nats have?

With the exception of the last 2 years of the last National Government housing remained relatively flat.   Overall national values increased but not as previously seen in the Labour Government prior.   So when things did start to move they recognized the key to slowing the growing marketplace were, surprise, surprise, more houses and more land for houses.    However thanks to the RMA (a National designed law that should never have been passed) it isn't easy to develop land or build large subdivisions.  National attempted for change that but Labour played politics and said no.  Now they are in the same position yet National, for the betterment of the country, put aside the politiking and chose to assist.
(30-11-2021, 02:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think a lot of people in their caucus will be sharpening their knives in preparation for another rolling just before the next election.

Welcome in ACT, the real opposition.
I would like to see ACT continue with its increased support too.
Dunno what to think of luxon, but anything is better than what we currently have running this shitshow.
I'm really none too keen on ACT, although I do think David Seymour is due some kudos for getting the EOL bill across the line.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(07-01-2022, 10:52 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: ... anything is better than what we currently have running this shitshow.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you referring to Aotearoa's Covid response? Can you explain?