Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National on 'education' for Neuro diverse kids
Unbelievably & utterly wrong. Dodgy Angry

"More prescriptive curriculum helps Neuro diverse kids" National

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=781...5438591826

"Emily writes

I'm in a post-op tramadol haze but I’m going there anyway…

If you speak to any parent of an autistic child they will probably tell you this policy will probably lead to their child ending mainstream schooling at best or at worst becoming suicidal.

My beautiful boy is the smartest kid I know and his teachers know that too. But any test will not show that. A test will say he cannot read while he devours 10,000 page PDFs on shipping channels. A test will tell you he can’t write as he emails me beautiful long stories that are amazing insights into his incredible brain or just bloody hilarious and basically ready for publication - he writes better than many of the submissions I had when I was working as an editor. A test will say he is years behind in math as he calculates someone’s height by looking at them or looks at a gravestone and says within seconds “that couple died at 67 and 72, 15 years apart.” A test will say he is “behind” at every stage as he schools everyone around him.

Our tamariki are sacred. They’re taonga. They are not fucking economic units to be measured on how neurotypical they can pretend to be.

STOP USING OUR KIDS AS POLITICAL FOOTBALLS. Stop fucking around with their education to try to win votes from ignorant assholes. JUST STOP."

Our kids need well paid and well resourced teachers who aren’t burnt the fuck out from working in this broken system. They need teacher aides, funding, support, resources. The last thing they need is testing, exclusion, streaming and being forced out of mainstream schools.

If you vote National you are voting to end the chance at a mainstream school life for so many neurodivergent children. My son has the best bloody friends you could ever ask for - testing which will destroy his confidence and exclude him will take away the only social network he has. Not to mention the impact on parents having to give up their careers, dreams, hopes because they have to educate their kids from home without any funding or resources. (Also, it will literally send more families into poverty if they can’t work, or you’ll have ND kids at home alone while their parents work).

National MPs - I know for a FACT a lot of you have kids with disabilities. How you could pull up the ladder and do this knowing what it would have done to YOUR kids is fucking revolting and I don’t know how you sleep at night.

WE WANT EVIDENCE BASED POLICY. Not this bullshit.

(Also there’s no “them”. It’s neuroDIVERSE for a reason, the clue is in the name. You should not be making policy on this when you don’t even know what a fucking spectrum is. Please, for the love of GOD just Google this shit at the very least before you put out policy. Like just read the Wikipedia page and you’d be more clued up than you currently are). 
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We have more and more children identified as neuro diverse as each school year begins. These children have amazing strengths in areas not routinely tested for by the outdated schooling system (aka the sausage factory) we are currently locked into by cowardly politicos and resistant bureaucrats with careers to hold onto.

I cannot help but wonder if humanity is evolving faster than we ever thought possible, for these children are our future.
(06-04-2023, 08:41 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We have more and more children identified as neuro diverse as each school year begins. These children have amazing strengths in areas not routinely tested for by the outdated schooling system (aka the sausage factory) we are currently locked into by cowardly politicos and resistant bureaucrats with careers to hold onto.

I cannot help but wonder if humanity is evolving faster than we ever thought possible, for these children are our future.
This movie is a brilliant expose of such 'superpowers'. Well worth seeking out if you haven't seen it before.
Oooh thank you! I have started The Power, but with all due respect to the excellent cast, the book was a C minus in my opinion. Too easy a storyline and poorly put together. On screen it is easier to forgive the weaknesses.

I am resorting to blood and thunders due to the dearth of new decent hard SF offerings. The best writers seem to be reaching old age or falling off the perch...
Oh_hunnihunni if you want a good read try these books, best to read in order written

https://rifters.com/old-index.htm

Here's the free downloads:

https://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I will try them, thank you!
(06-04-2023, 08:41 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We have more and more children identified as neuro diverse as each school year begins. These children have amazing strengths in areas not routinely tested for by the outdated schooling system (aka the sausage factory) we are currently locked into by cowardly politicos and resistant bureaucrats with careers to hold onto.

I think that there's a pretty good chance of that; particularly when they're making attempts to change our world for the better. Maybe we need them... Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)