Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julius Caesar; an economics lesson from 2000 years ago
I'd forgotten this from a few years ago & came across it again. Bryan Bruce.
Rolleyes

"When Julius Caesar returned to Rome in September of 45 BC (having conquered Gaul) he found the city streets crowded with homeless people.
They'd been forced off their land by moneylenders and property speculators, so more than 300,000 people were being fed by the local food bank -the public granary.
(Ring any bells?)
But he didn't impose austerity or decide to save up money "for a rainy day," Instead he spent government money and introduced some progressive social reforms.

1.He lowered all land valuations

2.Granted several remissions of rents.

3.Large numbers of poor citizens and discharged veterans were settled on allotments.

4.Free housing was granted to 80,000 impoverished families

5.Soldier's pay was almost doubled.

6.Control of the mint was transferred from the patricians (the money lenders and spinners) to the government.

7. It was ruled that interest could not be levied at more than 1% per month.

8.It was decreed that interest could not be charged on interest and that the total interest charged could not exceed the amount initially borrowed.

9.Slavery was abolished as a way of settling a debt.

10. Aristocrats were forced to employ their capital and not hoard it.

In short he thought government should get involved in driving the economy. Not be a bystander to it.

Of course, these measures enraged the aristocrats and plutocrats and on the morning of March 15th 44BC when he arrived unarmed at the Senate, he was surrounded by 60 of them who stabbed him to death.

mmmm....
Maybe that's what our Labour led coalition is worried about -ie.
regulating the economy to help folks who are struggling may offend the plutocrats who are exploiting us."

#bryanbruce #nzpolitics #endneoliberalism
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
the lesson is go out and conquer a country then use the proceeds and ongoing tributes to pay for economic growth back home?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-12-2021, 03:21 PM)king1 Wrote: the lesson is go out and conquer a country then use the proceeds and ongoing tributes to pay for economic growth back home?
 More that govt's should be responsible for the economy, especially those in need, I think.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And what happened to dear old Julius?
(02-12-2021, 04:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And what happened to dear old Julius?
He met a very sticky end, didn't he. A few centuries later the French did things slightly differently, if equally as bloody. And then the Russians, a few centuries later still.
We're just not a very nice species sometimes. Rolleyes
Which kind of explains why politicians dislike taking risks like his.
(02-12-2021, 06:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Which kind of explains why politicians dislike taking risks like his.
it does - perhaps they could try a bit of education first, prepare the ground sort of thing. Along the lines of 'this is what we want to try to achieve' what do people believe the best & fairest way to do so is. Most of us I think, would want a fairer world - fair (& equal) pay for work, good education & health system & the ability to buy your own home eventually - basic things.
(02-12-2021, 03:21 PM)king1 Wrote: the lesson is go out and conquer a country then use the proceeds and ongoing tributes to pay for economic growth back home?
That kinda sounds like what china is planning!