Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern checkpoints
This is bits and pieces from today's herald, what do you guys think about it?
https://tinyurl.com/y3zgw6fw

Who calls the shots at northern checkpoints, iwi or police?
No one actually seems to know what
to expect on Wednesday when the border comes down and Aucklanders head north.
Police say they're only doing spot checks. Not every car will be checked.

Tai Tokerau Border Control disagrees. They say every car will be checked. They say police have agreed to allow this and will tolerate some queues as long as health and safety isn't threatened.

If this is how it plays out on Wednesday, commuting Aucklanders will be furious, not only at the inconvenience and congestion but also at being misled. Only three weeks ago, the Prime Minister assured Aucklanders they would not have to deal with a hard border and the checking of every car to get out of the city.

But probably the most damaging aspect of this is the sense the Government has deliberately kept the truth from the public.

While it kept assuring the public there would be no iwi-led checkpoints, the Government had actually amended legislation to allow iwi to man checkpoints. It turns out that three weeks ago Labour inserted a clause into the Covid-19 Health Response Act giving various groups including "a nominated representative of an iwi organisation" the power to "close roads and public places and stop vehicles".
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Police are working with iwi to manage checkpoints. It is a good thing.

Frankly, if I ruled the world there'd be more checkpoints and much more strictly managed. Argumentative vehicles would be bulldozed. Crusher has nothing on me in a bad mood...
Which national party press release are you repeating here?
I do have other cameras!
(12-12-2021, 01:09 PM)Praktica Wrote: Which national party press release are you repeating here?
Ha ha.   Heather du Plessis-Allan - it might as well be....
It doesn't worry me one way or the other if its a National or Labour press release I just thought it might make a good discussion point.
I have to go waaaay up North over Xmas time and if their is a checkpoint so be it but the only thing that will piss me off is if I have to wait in a big long Que of traffic to continue my journey.
If that is your only worry, you are a lucky man.

I have a friend worrying if she'll be alive at Christmas.

Take a good book, a cool drink, and a snack pack. You'll be fine.
(12-12-2021, 01:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If that is your only worry, you are a lucky man.

I have a friend worrying if she'll be alive at Christmas.

Take a good book, a cool drink, and a snack pack. You'll be fine.

I feel for your friend , I have been diagnosed with blocked heart arteries and a heart murmur, am hoping to have stents put in before Xmas but who knows. If that happens I wont be needing a book a drink and a snack pack because I wont be going up North.
All I want for Christmas is a hip replacement, lol. But she wants to survive. I want her to as well, as I told her. I'm her executor and all that paperwork is a pain...
we crashed the gate doing 98...

So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye