Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confession
I nick cuttings from wild plants and roadsides. I know, it's thieving, and I am a criminal who should be locked up.

But, I claim insanity as a defence, I just cannot resist that swaying branch of something lovely bashing me in the head as I travel the roads and byways. This past month it has been the star jasmine and the honeysuckle that tempt me with their seductive perfume, and there are sprays in jars of water here and there in the flat, scenting the ages for surprisingly long times. And there are the odd sprig of plumbago in among them. No flowers at this time of year, but the colour is one I have to add to the garden, so, I pinched a few heeled twigs of that too.

And this morning, I checked the oldest jar, and sure enough, tiny root buds are showing. My wickedness is being rewarded...
I have this vision in my mind.....the icing on the cake (for me) would have been if the cops saw you nicking the plants.
I would not be a challenge to chase down and arrest. Especially if it was a nice looking older man in uniform...
Years ago I nicked a small cutting from a double May bush which bordered a fence in an alley. It took & is today much bigger, with gorgeous flowers in Autumn/Winter.
And I'm really glad I did because the original May bush no longer exists, having been ripped out when the property became part of a Dr's surgery.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Does honeysuckle set off hayfever?

I need to know which plant I need to set fire to to stop my eyes from burning.
Not that I know of, but you could google it - I think Jasmine can. Mind you honeysuckle can take over your garden.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-12-2021, 03:04 PM)reigns Wrote: Does honeysuckle set off hayfever?

I need to know which plant I need to set fire to to stop my eyes from burning.
It certainly can, so yep, I'd be setting fire to it.

It's quite the science, to know what sorts of flowering plants to have in your garden, especially if you are a hayfever sufferer.
Nah, just get better antihistamines...
I have a beautiful purple clematis that I rescued after the earthquakes - when they created the "red zone" in Avonside they initially demolished all the houses, and left the fencing in, so in parts there were still established gardens doing their thing. But the bulldozers were slowly working their way thru, digging out everything except for established trees it seemed. So I saved two clematis - the white one didn't survive - a lovely big double hybrid, and that was my own fault for not putting it where the roots would be cool. This intense purple one is rambling over a large lavender bush, and it's spectacular.
Yup. My gran taught me about clematis... Feet in the cool darling, head in the sun.

Never forgotten.
So, this morning I went on a small garden rampage. Our corporate LL fired the contract gardeners before lockdown, and no garden maintenance has been done since. Mowing has restarted, but no gardening, and as we all know green things grow in Spring, they grow and flower and get tatty and need a good haircut.

So that has been my mission today. Armed with loppers, hedge clippers, secateurs, and a saw for the thicker bits, I have been laying waste to unruly vegetation and past their best daisy bushes.

In the middle of all this devastation the community manager arrived, and told me what great job I was doing. So I suggested she might like to organise someone to remove the chopped bits.

Well, it has to be cheaper than paying a contractor to do what I just did right? But I won't hold my breath.

Very satisfying job though. And the daisies will love it...
(09-12-2021, 12:16 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So, this morning I went on a small garden rampage. Our corporate LL fired the contract gardeners before lockdown, and no garden maintenance has been done since. Mowing has restarted, but no gardening, and as we all know green things grow in Spring, they grow and flower and get tatty and need a good haircut.

So that has been my mission today. Armed with loppers, hedge clippers, secateurs, and a saw for the thicker bits, I have been laying waste to unruly vegetation and past their best daisy bushes.

In the middle of all this devastation the community manager arrived, and told me what great job I was doing. So I suggested she might like to organise someone to remove the chopped bits.

Well, it has to be cheaper than paying a contractor to do what I just did right? But I won't hold my breath.

Very satisfying job though. And the daisies will love it...

You might try suggesting that they pay you for your work.... Angel
Nah, I'm not a fan of the culture, lol!