Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Heat pumps for cooling
Heat pumps for cooling residential.

How well do heat pumps work for cooling homes, or is it better find a/c of some description?

Strategy - have separate heat pumps for living and bed areas and turn on-off at different times?
Depends. So many things to consider. Including environmental impact. You need an expert...

I used my fan for the first time last night. Amazing what a difference simply moving the air around creates. Sticky in Jaffatown at the moment. We need rain to clear the air.
The manual for my heatpump calls it a "Daikin room air conditioner". The instructions inside make no distinction between heating or cooling a room. Our main purpose when buying it was for heating, and we had our house assessed to get the right sized unit for that purpose. If your aim is to cool an area, the assessment may be different, but the type of unit installed will be the same. We have only used ours once for cooling - we live in Dunedin!
I do have other cameras!
(11-12-2021, 04:00 PM)Praktica Wrote: The manual for my heatpump calls it a "Daikin room air conditioner". The instructions inside make no distinction between heating or cooling a room. Our main purpose when buying it was for heating, and we had our house assessed to get the right sized unit for that purpose. If your aim is to cool an area, the assessment may be different, but the type of unit installed will be the same. We have only used ours once for cooling - we live in Dunedin!
Been wondering about the Dyson air purifier/cooler machines
Just use fans. In Australia they hardly ever use air conditioning, only when it goes over 40. Usually just use the large ceiling fans.
The manual for mine also calls it an air conditioner and mine are Fujitsu. I have one in the living area and another smaller one in my bedroom. I initially had them installed for the cooling in the summer as my heater was quite adequate, however
I do use it for heating as well. It is very hot here today and I am very thankful for my aircon.
(11-12-2021, 04:36 PM)eljayv Wrote:
(11-12-2021, 04:00 PM)Praktica Wrote: The manual for my heatpump calls it a "Daikin room air conditioner". The instructions inside make no distinction between heating or cooling a room. Our main purpose when buying it was for heating, and we had our house assessed to get the right sized unit for that purpose. If your aim is to cool an area, the assessment may be different, but the type of unit installed will be the same. We have only used ours once for cooling - we live in Dunedin!
Been wondering about the Dyson air purifier/cooler machines
Don't go cheap, if you want to do it properly. 2 x Daikin high wall units cost us just over $6000 installed 14 years ago.
I do have other cameras!
(11-12-2021, 04:45 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Just use fans. In Australia they hardly ever use air conditioning, only when it goes over 40. Usually just use the large ceiling fans.
Australian conditions usually include low humidity at high temperatures so fans work well as they work by increasing evaporation of perspiration. Under humid conditions evaporation is much reduced due to the air carrying nearer its limit of moisture so fans are less effective.
I use our Mitzi floor console Heat Pump for cooling and heating, we have 2 one for the lounge area and one for the living dining area and have got them to work off one remote at the same time, just change the mode to cooling and put at a temp you find the most comfortable
Crab2
(12-12-2021, 10:35 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-12-2021, 04:45 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Just use fans. In Australia they hardly ever use air conditioning, only when it goes over 40. Usually just use the large ceiling fans.
Australian conditions usually include low humidity at high temperatures so fans work well as they work by increasing evaporation of perspiration. Under humid conditions evaporation is much reduced due to the air carrying nearer its limit of moisture so fans are less effective.

In places like Samoa and Indonesia, and Vietnam they usually just use fans. Fans are fine for those hot humid conditions. I have yet to go to a place in New Zealand where it has been so hot and humid that air conditioning was required. Fans are sufficient.
I must admit, a fan would be my preference too.
Another vote for fans. Summer temperatures here rise to the mid-30s C and we have found that Dyson tower fans are enough to keep us comfortable almost all of the summer. They are very quiet.
Realistically NZ doesn't get hot. It is near the south pole. Fans are sufficient. Become tougher.
(14-12-2021, 12:34 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Realistically NZ doesn't get hot. It is near the south pole. Fans are sufficient. Become tougher.
NZ is only about halfway from the Equator to the Pole, actually. 

Not everybody experiences heat and/or humidity in the same way.
(14-12-2021, 02:27 PM)Bracken Wrote:
(14-12-2021, 12:34 PM)TygerTung Wrote: Realistically NZ doesn't get hot. It is near the south pole. Fans are sufficient. Become tougher.
NZ is only about halfway from the Equator to the Pole, actually. 

Not everybody experiences heat and/or humidity in the same way.

There is no country closer to the pole, unless you count Argentina, although that is long and skinny.
Oamaru is at 45 degrees latitude so midway between the equator and the south pole, therefore most of NZ is closer to the equator than to the south pole.
Heat pumps are the most cost effective form of heating & as a bonus cool& de humidify & filter the air as well .