Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ive been thinking...
That was suggested by my friendly dea - local supplier, but as I really like banana cake I was a bit wary of overdosing myself, lol.
consuming too much gives me vertigo
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=5a38a5a2venewxjghzpgqqf63gx...w.gif&ct=g]
via GIPHY
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
We should just pay higher taxes then, enough to cover (or as close to it as possible) stuff like health, housing, education, welfare etc. etc. & become one of those highly taxed countries which are at the top of the 'happiest people' lists. Smile

(15-12-2021, 05:53 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: That was suggested by my friendly dea - local supplier, but as I really like banana cake I was a bit wary of overdosing myself, lol.
There's an organisation (sort of) called the Green fairies. Apparently. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(15-12-2021, 01:22 PM)TygerTung Wrote:
(15-12-2021, 10:48 AM)Magoo Wrote: its a funny old world.
brewing alcohol might be the easiest and cheapest of all the illicit alchemy we have.
i think this, along with the negative effects prohibition induces, stops them from over-taxing alcohol.
they know we would just circumvent the system like we do with weed and theyd get nada.

Brewing alcohol isn't illegal, the ingredients are sold at the supermarket! It is just illegal to sell your home brewed alcohol. It isn't illegal to give it away.

And if noone smoked, the government wouldn't lose money as it wouldn't need to spend so much money on the hospitals.
They never spend nearly as much money on curing smokers  as they got in tobacco taxes.
I’ve been thinking that I’ve Been Thinking was a memoir by DICK Prebble

One of the helpful Mums brought me down Vegan Caramel Slice today

Like a tin of it.. wow it’s good

Miso and Tahini are the caramel layer
lillith please...
'We should just pay higher taxes then, enough to cover (or as close to it as possible) stuff like health, housing, education, welfare etc. etc. & become one of those highly taxed countries which are at the top of the 'happiest people' lists. '

yes, higher taxation always motivates me to work harder.
(20-12-2021, 02:26 PM)Magoo Wrote: lillith please...
'We should just pay higher taxes then, enough to cover (or as close to it as possible) stuff like health, housing, education, welfare etc. etc. & become one of those highly taxed countries which are at the top of the 'happiest people' lists. '

The lack of stress from needing to provide education, healthcare etc. etc. may be in part what leads to those people being the 'happiest people', despite their high taxes - & probably benefits their health as well.  Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(15-12-2021, 05:56 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=5a38a5a2venewxjghzpgqqf63gx...w.gif&ct=g]
via GIPHY
Oh you are so naughty...
But I like you.

Nope. Though we need taxes to pay the bills, it is actually higher take up of education that supports a happier, healthier, wealthier population.
So, we should make education - all forms of it - free and accessible, and encourage everyone to indulge in it as a lifelong process.

(15-12-2021, 06:01 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We should just pay higher taxes then, enough to cover (or as close to it as possible) stuff like health, housing, education, welfare etc. etc. & become one of those highly taxed countries which are at the top of the 'happiest people' lists. Smile

(15-12-2021, 05:53 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: That was suggested by my friendly dea - local supplier, but as I really like banana cake I was a bit wary of overdosing myself, lol.
There's an organisation (sort of) called the Green fairies. Apparently. Rolleyes
There is, but I choose not to put anyone at risk.

However, if someone sends me something nice in the mail, who am I to complain?   Big Grin
(20-12-2021, 02:29 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(15-12-2021, 05:56 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=5a38a5a2venewxjghzpgqqf63gx...w.gif&ct=g]
via GIPHY
Oh you are so naughty...
But I like you.

Nope. Though we need taxes to pay the bills, it is actually higher take up of education that supports a happier, healthier, wealthier population.
So, we should make education - all forms of it - free and accessible, and encourage everyone to indulge in it as a lifelong process.
Which is or should be, one of those things covered by higher taxes. Lifelong free education would surely make a huge difference to us all.
i could have sworn i already pay an arseload of tax for those very things?
(20-12-2021, 02:38 PM)Magoo Wrote: i could have sworn i already pay an arseload of tax for those very things?
The taxes we all pay though, aren't sufficient to cover everything. And strange as it may seem, those who live in highly taxed countries feature at the top of the 'happiest people' lists.
No one likes high taxes; but it seems there are benefits to paying more tax which may compensate for the pain. Smile
(20-12-2021, 02:47 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 02:38 PM)Magoo Wrote: i could have sworn i already pay an arseload of tax for those very things?
The taxes we all pay though, aren't sufficient to cover everything. And strange as it may seem, those who live in highly taxed countries feature at the top of the 'happiest people' lists.
No one likes high taxes; but it seems there are benefits to paying more tax which may compensate for the pain. Smile
i think our taxation is ample for our needs.
unfortunately it doesnt cover our 'wants' as well, and apparently we want some things real bad.
we could easily do without horse racing and yachts we dont need armed forces. we dont need expensive foreign diplomats and embassies, i could go on.
i could rewrite the budget and have money left over if i were given a sharp pencil.
(20-12-2021, 02:56 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 02:47 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The taxes we all pay though, aren't sufficient to cover everything. And strange as it may seem, those who live in highly taxed countries feature at the top of the 'happiest people' lists.
i think our taxation is ample for our needs.
unfortunately it doesnt cover our 'wants' as well, and apparently we want some things real bad.
we could easily do without horse racing and yachts we dont need armed forces. we dont need expensive foreign diplomats and embassies, i could go on.
i could rewrite the budget and have money left over if i were given a sharp pencil.
Most of us could manage very well without those things; a friend of my Mum's used to say that in her view, any housewife worth her salt could probably budget far better than any govt.
same goes for local government.
rubbish, roads, water.
everything else is just dross.