Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The infamous BFD under surveillance
(17-12-2021, 08:22 PM)rpvr Wrote:
(16-12-2021, 03:08 PM)Yogi Wrote: No wonder this place is dead. Anyone who sees things different to you just gets abused.  There are places i can go where folk debate in a friendly manner. 
Good bye.
Funny, I thought it was the NZ Herald that gave stories a particular slant. They won't run anything even slightly anti-government in case it affects the huge amounts of taxpayer funding they receive to stay afloat now that circulation and advertising revenue has fallen drastically.
Odd - from my POV, the Herald is slanted towards National - look at all the commentators there spruiking Luxon, and bagging the government. Hosking is the prime example.
I do have other cameras!
Aunty Herald always sound Rightish to me too. But then so do all the others on occasion. I find the media's desire for 'story' over fact very annoying at times. But then I grew up when 'news media' wasn't about advertising and entertainment, but about reporting the news, so I'm biased.
(18-12-2021, 08:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Aunty Herald always sound Rightish to me too. But then so do all the others on occasion. I find the media's desire for 'story' over fact very annoying at times. But then I grew up when 'news media' wasn't about advertising and entertainment, but about reporting the news, so I'm biased.

Yep it did once tend to be about facts - who, when, where, why, how - but there's precious little of that now. Sad
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-12-2021, 08:22 PM)rpvr Wrote:
(16-12-2021, 03:08 PM)Yogi Wrote: No wonder this place is dead. Anyone who sees things different to you just gets abused.  There are places i can go where folk debate in a friendly manner. 
Good bye.
Funny, I thought it was the NZ Herald that gave stories a particular slant. They won't run anything even slightly anti-government in case it affects the huge amounts of taxpayer funding they receive to stay afloat now that circulation and advertising revenue has fallen drastically.

What did the Media do for revenue before the “State Bailout”?

Once accepting Advertising $ the Media remained strictly neutral and independent ??
(14-12-2021, 04:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I can't think of anyone more deserving of being kept a very close eye on than the loathsome Cameron Slater & his merry band of absolute bastards.
One thing you would find about the BFD, if you took the time to look, is that scurrilous attacks such as yours would earn you a posting ban. It's well moderated. has won awards and is now the third most trusted blog site in NZ when the last survey was taken. Some regular posters meet in person, and often help out those deserving of such help, both financially and practically. A great community spirit, without the spite and name calling that so many sites have these days. But then it's easier to just throw insults than to actually participate in a commmunity, isn't it?
I no longer watch TV news programs, and on news sites I only read news reports, never opinion articles. I have my own opinions, and make them by reading what I hope are facts, and am a bit pissed off when I find I have been fed wrong information. Always double checking.
(28-12-2021, 03:16 PM)rpvr Wrote:
(14-12-2021, 04:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I can't think of anyone more deserving of being kept a very close eye on than the loathsome Cameron Slater & his merry band of absolute bastards.
One thing you would find about the BFD, if you took the time to look, is that scurrilous attacks such as yours would earn you a posting ban. It's well moderated. has won awards and is now the third most trusted blog site in NZ when the last survey was taken. Some regular posters meet in person, and often help out those deserving of such help, both financially and practically. A great community spirit, without the spite and name calling that so many sites have these days. But then it's easier to just throw insults than to actually participate in a community, isn't it?
That's a pretty rosy image you're painting there, and a staunch defence of Cameron Slater to boot...  I'm not sure why you would find it difficult to imagine someone criticising him, he has been an extremely polarising personality over the years
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(28-12-2021, 03:16 PM)rpvr Wrote:
One thing you would find about the BFD, if you took the time to look, is that scurrilous attacks such as yours would earn you a posting ban. It's well moderated. has won awards and is now the third most trusted blog site in NZ when the last survey was taken. Some regular posters meet in person, and often help out those deserving of such help, both financially and practically. A great community spirit, without the spite and name calling that so many sites have these days. But then it's easier to just throw insults than to actually participate in a commmunity, isn't it?

The comments are a matter of fact, of recent history, so not in the least scurrilous. Huh

Perhaps you were unaware of the involvement of Cameron Slater in attempting to destroy Matt Blomfield. And of his earlier attack's on others through his previous whaleoil site.
The alleged good moderation failed on that site when an attack on a young man who was killed in a car accident continued for some time, even after Slater was informed that the young man he was attacking had not after all, been driving & that his family had also lost another son comparatively recently. To continue to add to the pain of a bereaved family isn't in any way admirable.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/28-05-201...-whale-oil

https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/cri-du-coeur
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't like Cameron Slater and take some of the articles in BFD, especially from those who don't put their name on them, with a grain of salt however it is more than a little concerning that the site and journalists/contributors to the site may have been under Police observation. Were sites like The Standard under Police observation when National were in Government? I would suggest that is a no.

Regardless of you political leanings we should all be concerned that a site is under observation because of their criticism of the government.
I think any one or group who openly speaks in favour of civil unrest should be on a watch list. Information is power, and if we could step in ahead of dangerous acts that threaten the security of people, and property why wouldn't we do so?

Or do we ignore criticism? I very much doubt those making critical statements want to be ignored. They want to be seen and heard. They want to inspire change. It is the illegal actions designed to bring about that change that have to be subject to observation in the planning, and on occasion responded to, surely...

For instance - just how long are we going to stand back and allow the likes of the fake bishop to foment civil disobedience and encourage dangerous behaviour?
(29-12-2021, 12:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think any one or group who openly speaks in favour of civil unrest should be on a watch list. Information is power, and if we could step in ahead of dangerous acts that threaten the security of people, and property why wouldn't we do so?

Or do we ignore criticism? I very much doubt those making critical statements want to be ignored. They want to be seen and heard. They want to inspire change. It is the illegal actions designed to bring about that change that have to be subject to observation in the planning,  and on occasion responded to, surely...

For instance - just how long are we going to stand back and allow the likes of the fake bishop to foment civil disobedience and encourage dangerous behaviour?
Agreed - criticism is one thing, but inciting or virtually inciting civil unrest is another thing altogether. And in view of recent events in America after similar comments, any govt of any country experiencing similar comments would be foolish in the extreme to ignore them.

The recent comments from the McBishop are an excellent example of that.
Seems to me these days there is a trend towards putting the rights of the individual, over the rights of the many. Especially if that individual has celebrity, or status, or money, or connections.

But heaven help poor old Josephine Blogs from South Auckland if she oversteps the mark...

It has to stop.
(29-12-2021, 01:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Seems to me these days there is a trend towards putting the rights of the individual, over the rights of the many. Especially if that individual has celebrity, or status, or money, or connections.

But heaven help poor old Josephine Blogs from South Auckland if she oversteps the mark...

It has to stop.
Yeah - that would be quite good, & not before time either. Especially if it includes sporting 'personalities'. Big Grin Rolleyes
(29-12-2021, 01:56 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-12-2021, 01:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Seems to me these days there is a trend towards putting the rights of the individual, over the rights of the many. Especially if that individual has celebrity, or status, or money, or connections.

It has to stop.
Yeah - that would be quite good, & not before time either. Especially if it includes sporting 'personalities'. Big Grin Rolleyes
The media media has always been selective. Look at the couple who broke covid rules to go to Wanaka, and also this current DJ guy who should have been isolating. They were severely criticised, and rightly so. But what about the Maori prostitutes who also broke the covid regs? Very little media coverage, and no legal sanction that I know of.
While there was no shortage of rumours, its not been proven that they were prostitutes, & afaik, no mention of race has been made.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-d...624GO6DV4/
(30-12-2021, 02:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: While there was no shortage of rumours,  its not been proven that they were prostitutes, & afaik, no mention of race has been made.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-d...624GO6DV4/
Yup - tells one a lot about a poster, their prejudices, and intentions...
I do have other cameras!
They were the subject of an interview on The Nation with Winston during which he made some seriously misinformed statements.

That may have helped the media forget the whole business rather rapidly, lol...
(30-12-2021, 05:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They were the subject of an interview on The Nation with Winston during which he made some seriously misinformed statements.

That may have helped the media forget the whole business rather rapidly, lol...
I think that was the one & only time Winston apologised, that I know of. Couldn't happen to a nicer politician. Big Grin Angel