Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auckland users - 1970s memories - children's camp/home on a slope, Rangitoto views?
Cast your collective minds back and see if you can fill in many blanks please.  I lived in Sainsbury Rd, near St Lukes from 1976-1977.  My aunt and uncle visited our family, and one afternoon they took us kids to what I remember (and I may be completely wrong), was a school or boarding school or camp for deaf children during Christmas holidays.  There were no kids there.  I feel the site had a view of Rangitoto, but I don't recall if it was from the North Shore or south of the harbour bridge.  The buildings sat up the hill, with a lawn/field in front, and a budget playground to the left as you looked at the island view.  

Aunt and Uncle went on to work for the Salvation Army for a couple of years, so maybe it was a SA camp or something similar.  I've asked them but they can't remember where they took us to for the afternoon.  

Any ideas on where it could have been?
all i have is haiku

sumstyles memory fades
ethereal visions from
seasons long past
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
sumstyle, might it have been a Health Camp, such as the one at Half Moon Bay, Pakuranga?

https://kura.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/d.../id/41134/
This doesn't help you (I don't think), but did a bit of a google re your question,
and found this. It's about education back in the '30's to '60's. I found it
very interesting.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/childr.../education
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
Bracken - fantastic - that is the place! The buildings on stilts - yep. Oh well done you - I am very pleased to know what it was.

The day we visited was very grey, and we were allowed to play outside, but it was quite eerie, with a storm brewing, and no one about in the buildings. I was a *ahem* sensitive child, so the treat of being with my cousins from Ashburton would've been offset by the anxiety about being separated from my mum.

Marvellous - I shall tell my aunt and see if the details triggers any thoughts from her.

Thank you!
awwwwww that's just so cool.

The power of the messageboard.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
Very happy to have been of help, sumstyle Smile
(15-12-2021, 04:02 PM)Bracken Wrote: Very happy to have been of help, sumstyle Smile
yes
me too
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I remember the Health Camp...but never went there. When I was born we lived at Bucklands Beach, and although we later left (not much work in such a remote place, as it was then) my Grandparents still lived there, and we spent every holdiday and most weekends there. Halfmoon Bay was just a mud hole, and sometimes the kids from the camp were taken on walks to a real beach. We used to just stand and watch them go past, wondering - how, why, what, who ?
(15-12-2021, 04:44 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(15-12-2021, 04:02 PM)Bracken Wrote: Very happy to have been of help, sumstyle Smile
yes
me too
First time anyone has written me a haiku, Magoo.  It was a delightful surprise.