Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could you live without the internet for one week?
I now have the perfect excuse for acquiring more books - the bookcase has developed a bit of a bow in a shelf, & thanks to Oh Hunni Hunni's helpful suggestion the other day, it has become clear that I must purchase more books in order to support the shelf from underneath.Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(16-12-2021, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I now have the perfect excuse for acquiring more books - the bookcase has developed a bit of a bow in a shelf, & thanks to Oh Hunni Hunni's helpful suggestion the other day, it has become clear that I must purchase more books in order to  support the shelf from underneath.Smile
Hahaha, like!
Autumn comes
A weird thought - does anyone know why there is an interior design fad at the moment to line books up with their spines to the wall?

Do these people not read?
I always think it's weird that people do that, but I guess it's simply for aesthetics. I don't have a heap of books, but I'd say I know what each book is, by it's size and shape, if I couldn't see the spine.

I have a bit of a quirk with my books, in that they have to be lined up perfectly. I like a little bit of a mix of heights of books, but they have to be straight across the shelf.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
What I have read is that on these interior design TV programs if it shows a bookcase the books are always spine to the back because of copyright infringements with the book titles. 
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I'm a dirty old man, and took my library book to work...and my dirt rubbed off on the book. I had to pay a fine for that. So now I take my 8'' to work and that solves that problem. I've got a house, and a garage full of books, I guess I've read most of them. But, I paid money for most of them, and can't afford to keep doing that forever. The library is my favorite place...and it's free...if you don't ruin a book.
The only library book I have ever paid for is one I lost. Mysteriously, I found it some decades later. I think I still have it somewhere. Like you, the public library is a place I rely on to make my life a better experience, and not just because of the books.

As for copyright issues, I'd've thought free advertising of titles was a blessing. I know I cannot resist checking out the books in any kind of illustration, to see if they are old friends or new. I have a habit of reserving books I have seen in pictures that I might enjoy, and am rarely disappointed. Books are such rewarding objects in so many ways.
I don't enjoy dusting, & at one point, I had a brilliant idea on how to keep dust from settling on top of books - simply cut newspaper to fit & lie on top of the row of books, with smaller or larger bits to fit as needed.
It took a while but it was truly brilliant & I was extremely pleased with myself for having thought of it.

Until I realised that there was a vital factor I'd forgotten to take into consideration - the dogs tail. One overly enthusiastic wag & the lot wafted to the floor.
Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(16-12-2021, 08:15 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: What I have read is that on these interior design TV programs if it shows a bookcase the books are always spine to the back because of copyright infringements with the book titles. 
I doubt very much that this is the reason. You see them in plenty of these sorts of programes.
Like I said, I think it's purely an aesthetic thing. For people who like alot of neutrals. They'd rather have their pops of colour in other things...art, glassware, etc.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
(17-12-2021, 02:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The only library book I have ever paid for is one I lost. Mysteriously, I found it some decades later. I think I still have it somewhere. Like you, the public library is a place I rely on to make my life a better experience, and not just because of the books.

As for copyright issues, I'd've thought free advertising of titles was a blessing. I know I cannot resist checking out the books in any kind of illustration, to see if they are old friends or new. I have a habit of reserving books I have seen in pictures that I might enjoy, and am rarely disappointed. Books are such rewarding objects in so many ways.
I got first very unlucky & then very lucky, with a library book a while back.
Reaching for my coffee while reading it, I bumped the coffee which went all over the poor book & despite drying it out it was obviously too messy for the library so took it back & told them what happened. I paid for it & they let me keep the damaged one, -  still readable, which was nice of them.
(15-12-2021, 05:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was very well behaved at the hospital. Only whinged a little bit, though I was tempted to give the nurse shoving my boobs around during the ECG a sharp little horse bite on the knee. I could see she was jealous of my abundance but that thumb on the sensitive bit was a bit much...

Remember it's their job so you're just a piece of meat that needs manipulating to them! lol
Yes. It's that manipulating I do not care for. Humph.

But I was good. Most of the time.
Perhaps there was a time I would have replied in the negative, but for now, yep no worries. Huh!! Replied the better 1/2. Smile me, with my new stock of Desmond Bagley books, no problem
Well, having been bumped off involuntarily for most of a day this week, my answer has to be 'please, nooooooo...'

My life is so much richer via the net, and these days even my phone is net dependant, so I would be very much the poorer, and more limited without it...

Books though, if I couldn't read, I would rather be dead.
Yes, you can take it all away...but leave me some books....or a cornflakes packet...just something to read !
(20-01-2022, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, having been bumped off involuntarily for most of a day this week, my answer has to be 'please, nooooooo...'

My life is so much richer via the net, and these days even my phone is net dependant, so I would be very much the poorer, and more limited without it...

Books though, if I couldn't read, I would rather be dead.
Me too - the one thing humans love above all else; stories. Smile