Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hail Mary
... full of Grace - Ryland Grace to be exact, the lead character, whose story has left me disturbed and sad, despite the moments of genius, and hilarity I enjoyed along the way.

So many questions, Andy Weir, so much psychological baggage to add to my already heavy load.

There ought to be a law against such books... but thank heavens there isn't.
Well...that was an ending, sort of.
Whether or not sacrificing an unwilling individual in order to save an entire species & planet is right, or moral who can say. Not moral surely, but right?
Perhaps, perhaps it was the only option.
And that choice wasn't without some novel compensations - being the first human to make contact with an alien being & having a friendship with that being, formed as they worked together, each helping the other in order to ensure the survival of both, being the first human to live on an alien planet, the first teacher of alien children.

You have to wonder whether, after all those experiences, Ryland Grace if given the choice to go back & change what happened, might not now be willing to go into space.
Definitely a thought provoking book.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Wasn't it? I am still not sure how I feel about it. I think it was worth the read, sometimes we need to be unsettled.

But I confess I have turned to Lee Child and Nora Roberts for light relief!

Variety is the spice of holiday reading...
Well...youngest granddaughter has clearly got an excellent secondhand bookshop where they are & I've benefited from that this Xmas - I'm now reading an Australian writer, Monica McInerny, Odd one out. Interesting light reading, & two other books by different authors lined up.

I find though that I'm still thinking about Project hail Mary (& also about a previous book, Redemption book 3 in the Reveille series - mainly because I want more) & have now come to the conclusion that in that situation, the only possible means of survival was to be utterly ruthless & do what was done - Project hail Mary.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)