Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Millie is on Heat
Right , much has been assumed , sure not much to do with female dogs , always owned males in past , not money motivated , more interested inhte progeny , will keep one hopefully ..Not a first litter , has had 2 in the past .
I also checked with vet , being a dog of small stature , will be better than a larger lab or GS with a shorter life span .
Hopefully this allays some fears
(21-12-2021, 04:24 PM)Muzza3 Wrote: Right , much has been assumed , sure not much to do with female dogs , always owned males in past , not money motivated , more interested inhte progeny , will keep one hopefully ..Not a first litter , has had 2 in the past .
I also checked with vet , being a dog of small stature , will be better than a larger lab  or GS with a shorter life span .
No assumptions. Simply giving my point of view. Dogs are bred and inbred, for the purposes of selling, or using them as fighting dogs, or other nasty reasons.

No matter the size of the dog, the age thing is more important imo.

Think of the dog. It's 8 years old fgs. It has no choice, but you do. Get a younger dog, if you want to become interested in the 'progeny' of it's offspring, and descendants.

So no, your words don't allay any fears for me.

Just my two cents worth.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
(21-12-2021, 04:53 PM)crafters_corner Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 04:24 PM)Muzza3 Wrote: Right , much has been assumed , sure not much to do with female dogs , always owned males in past , not money motivated , more interested inhte progeny , will keep one hopefully ..Not a first litter , has had 2 in the past .
I also checked with vet , being a dog of small stature , will be better than a larger lab  or GS with a shorter life span .
No assumptions. Simply giving my point of view. Dogs are bred and inbred, for the purposes of selling, or using them as fighting dogs, or other nasty reasons.

No matter the size of the dog, the age thing is more important imo.

Think of the dog. It's 8 years old fgs. It has no choice, but you do. Get a younger dog, if you want to become interested in the 'progeny' of it's offspring, and descendants.

So no, your words don't allay any fears for me.

Just my two cents worth.
What Muzza3's vet was referring to was the potential lifespan of the breed. Large dogs are short lived whereas a Jack Russel is likely to get to its late teens. On that basis an 8 YO JR is the equivalent of a human women of 40YO considering pregnancy but 8 years is near geriatric for a larger breed dog.
Where did you get 40 in human years?? Nonsense.

As a general guideline, though, the American Veterinary Medical Association breaks it down like this:

15 human years equals the first year of a medium-sized dog's life.
Year two for a dog equals about nine years for a human.
And after that, each human year would be approximately five years for a dog.

So, that makes this 8yo dog 54yo in human years. Even if possible still, at least a 54 yo woman has a choice. A dog doesn't. Unless they have selfish owners, who are potentially putting their dog at risk of all sorts of complications.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
based on what ive read so far
i might well be in heat too
like milly im getting on in years also
am i in any danger?
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Thanks for that, it certainly makes me feel happier. Having had a hunting pack in the past I have dealt with puppies several times, and it can be a challenge for dogs and 'parents', lol. So good luck with Millie.
It's a moral issue for me. Putting a dog under stress at her age, and especially with the thought of possible complications because of her age, I think it's not on.
(21-12-2021, 08:45 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: Where did you get 40 in human years?? Nonsense.

As a general guideline, though, the American Veterinary Medical Association breaks it down like this:

So, that makes this 8yo dog 54yo in human years.  Even if possible still, at least a 54 yo woman has a choice. A dog doesn't. Unless they have selfish owners, who are potentially putting their dog at risk of all sorts of complications.
That would only work if humans expected to live until they were 108, which is rare rather than common. 8 for a Jack is mid life (one would expect a Jack to get to 16 years easily). So no where near your 54 years. For a Rotty 8 would be near expiry. An 8 year old bitch on a 3rd litter should be no problem at all. The complications thereafter depend on litter size, food supply etc.
I'm sure muzza will be taking great care of his dog and her pups. And that is what really matters.
(23-12-2021, 07:57 AM)bryalea Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 08:45 PM)crafters_corner Wrote: Where did you get 40 in human years?? Nonsense.

So, that makes this 8yo dog 54yo in human years.  Even if possible still, at least a 54 yo woman has a choice. A dog doesn't. Unless they have selfish owners, who are potentially putting their dog at risk of all sorts of complications.
That would only work if humans expected to live until they were 108, which is rare rather than common. 8 for a Jack is mid life (one would expect a Jack to get to 16 years easily). So no where near your 54 years. For a Rotty 8 would be near expiry. An 8 year old bitch on a 3rd litter should be no problem at all. The complications thereafter depend on litter size, food supply etc.
That was my logic in the 40 YO human equivalency. Life expectancy for our species is around 80 in most first world countries.
Well all is progressing nicely , mated with a red to poodle, not rape as I was expecting a very gentle approach from the TP , she left with a smile .
Looking for a whelping box , One Day had wooden sandpit whiich will adapt nicely .Off to get her wormed and fleaed , going to vet for appropriate product for hopefully pregnant dog
Boy, those could be very pretty pups! And possibly too intelligent for their Mum! Best make that a high sided box...
Will do, cheers Murray