Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boundary issues and Surveyor
So, the budding hoarder next door has built an ugly shed, cobbled together from rusting cast offs, close to the boundary line.  The shed posts are about 1 metre from the fence but the rusted iron roof is closer. The local Council took a look and told me that yes, it's 70cm from the shared boundary but I will need to get a registered survey to prove where the boundary line is. I thought the Council would have this info? Can I look at the Council info for free or do I need to pay for a LIM or for the Council to retrieve the info? Worse case scenario (since the hoarder is likely to extend his hoarding shack closer to us in the future) how much does a registered surveyor cost?
You will be able to get an approximate idea of where the shed is in relation to the boundary by taking a look at your local council's GIS database which should be viewable online.

So far as any onsite activity to locate the boundary and the shed's proximity to it that will require the services of a registered surveyor. Contact one in your area to get an indication of the expected cost of a 'boundary redefinition'. Various factors will have an influence on the cost of getting this done including the age of the original survey of your property, the title status on your property and accessability and visibility to the area in question.
Our neighbour had his section resurveyed, so he could build multiple units. The surveyor told him about the 200mmm error in South Dunedin, which affects most boundaries there, including his (and ours).
I do have other cameras!
There are numerous historical factors that have a long lasting effect on boundary definitions. For example any significant earthquake will result in limitations being put on the certificates of title of effected properties. Like, often older, land parcels that have never progressed beyond lines on an ancient survey map, and never actually physically pegged, there is a legal survey process that must be conducted in order to (re) establish the physical location of that property's boundaries and often it can be many decades before the property gains 'guaranteed title'.