Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thank Goodness
Thank goodness for these message boards and the sometime intelligent people on them  Big Grin
I have just been over to the "other message board site" and honestly to put it mildly what a bunch of wankers they are.
Trumpism at its finest, antivaxxism at its finest, racism at its finest, if all those idiots were on the Trademe boards no wonder they were closed down.

Yes these boards may be slow at times and mostly sane and I would rather be here than over there.
Has anyone had any experiences over there on the dark side?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I looked "there" just before and couldn't close the tab quickly enough.

TMMB is a wonderful oasis.
Autumn comes
(19-12-2021, 10:14 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: Thank goodness for these message boards and the sometime intelligent people on them  Big Grin
I have just been over to the "other message board site" and honestly to put it mildly what a bunch of wankers they are.
Trumpism at its finest, antivaxxism at its finest, racism at its finest, if all those idiots were on the Trademe boards no wonder they were closed down.

Yes these boards may be slow at times and mostly sane and I would rather be here than over there.
It's been a while since I looked but my experience was the same as yours.  Absolutely dreadful, a magnet for the worst far-right conceited buffoons.   Their definition of "debate" was verbal abuse.
I have ventured there maybe a couple of times, over the past nearly 2 years, and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I hated it. I won't go back again. It was just a curiosity thing.

I love it here too. It certainly is a 'wonderful oasis' of peace and calm. It suits my quieter and introverted personality, and I feel like we all actually like each other. Or at least, respect each other. No arguments.

Well done to nzoomed, the mods, and all of us who use the boards. Haven't we all done a great job of making this a happy place to come to and hang out.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
I spent quite a bit of my energy arguing with the Anti's over there .............and gave it up as a bad job. Left never to return.
I did join, made one post. I thought it was full of rabid right wingers - hate hate hate, full of negativity. No discussion, anything opposing their view is shouted down. Have they changed to rabid left wingers now ?
(19-12-2021, 03:12 PM)Zurdo Wrote: ..... Have they changed to rabid left wingers now ?

I don't think anyone has suggested that. Why do you ask?
i couldnt stand the way they argued. posting a tweet is not a response.
every man and his dog were a pedophile, or a pedophile supporter.
admin coddles the arseholes because he is one too. you can be banned for asking for evidence in the Big Lie..
you can be banned for using the word 'troll'. irony. the place is crawling with them.
its like fox news on acid. nasty, sneering, condescending, arrogance.
they turn everything into right vs left.
my friends on the subReddit are gobsmacked by it. mostly americans.
testament to the algorithms, they dont care where you live. if youre a brain dead moron they will find you.
the overt racism sickens me. as does the plotting and planning of ways to circumvent vaccine and mask mandates.

its a shithole alright, no two ways about it.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Best avoided. I suspect it and the worst of them are on a watch list now. Not the kind anyone really wants to be on either...

Sad really, because it could have been a really good place.
I'd say most of us who are here on TMMB, wouldn't like the other place. It's down to personality types I think.
I'm an introvert, and therefore, I don't want to be surrounded by alot of noisy yappy people.
Extroverts love the sound of their own voices.

If you have a quiet nature (even if you're an extrovert), you can enjoy TMMB more, because it's calm and peaceful, with no anti social behaviour.

We don't have an 'owner' here, who has an agenda.

TMMB is growing. It is a slow burner. Much more my style, and it doesn't cause me any anxiety, like TM boards used to. The whole LV thing was the worst for me. It created alot of angst for me.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
ive always been comfortable in my own company.
i dislike small talk and constant natter.
solace is sitting in a room with others, where silence does not have to be filled with words.

(19-12-2021, 03:12 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Have they changed to rabid left wingers now ?

i think thats what i am.
(20-12-2021, 09:34 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Best avoided. I suspect it and the worst of them are on a watch list now. Not the kind anyone really wants to be on either...

Sad really, because it could have been a really good place.
Yes, it could have been - & there are some really good Left posters there too, plus one or two decent Right posters who can manage to have a proper discussion without the abuse - & its got a really good, easy to use layout as well.
And I think you may well be right about the watch list; some of the really rabid racists were well OTT.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Joined up both sites when TM eventually closed, Close you eyes admin for a second, spent more time over thar.

Would pop in here now & again, then not far off this time '21 was approached by.

Still kept visiting here, then hit by lightening or somefink Huh so closed off membership
The rest as they say is history
I tend to keep in touch sporadically with one or two posters there - not the rabid CTer's obviously.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I have an interest in motoring and the TM motoring board was mostly respectful and helpful.
There was the odd occasion when things got a bit heated, but that was the exception really.
I joined “that other site” and from the outset the threads I read in the motoring board it is neither respectful or helpful it is totally confrontational and argumentative.
One thread I read was invaded by someone who had absolutely no accurate knowledge or understanding of the topic and was simply googleing conspiracy theories and “burning” anyone who tried to correct them.
It was nasty and spiteful and that seemed to continue in other areas as well.
It was interesting to see that a group of the same nasty posters sprang up in most topics all over the boards.
I have logged out of it and dont think I will ever be going back there.
(05-02-2022, 03:34 PM)ObeWan Wrote: I have an interest in motoring and the TM motoring board was mostly respectful and helpful.
There was the odd occasion when things got a bit heated, but that was the exception really.
I joined “that other site” and from the outset the threads I read in the motoring board it is neither respectful or helpful it is totally confrontational and argumentative.
One thread I read was invaded by someone who had absolutely no accurate knowledge or understanding of the topic and was simply googleing conspiracy theories and “burning” anyone who tried to correct them.
It was nasty and spiteful and that seemed to continue in other areas as well.
It was interesting to see that a group of the same nasty posters sprang up in most topics all over the boards.
I have logged out of it and dont think I will ever be going back there.

Good for you, this site might be a tad slow at times but I haven't found it to be confrontational and argumentative unless Its an argument where people know what there talking about but there are hardly any put downs at all , sure there are a few in here that think the boards are just for them alone but on the whole the folk in here are all friendly and nice, leave those wankers on the other site to enjoy there own foolishness
I changed browsers, and the bookmark to that other site is on the other browser. I don't use that browser anymore.
im never confrontational
(19-12-2021, 10:14 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: Thank goodness for these message boards and the sometime intelligent people on them  Big Grin

Jeez - waddaya mean 'sometime intelligent people???'

We're all budding Einstein's in here! Big Grin Angel
Now look here Lilith and Magoo , do you want a confrontational argument or something?  Big Grin Cool Big Grin