Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting older...and living alone
(20-12-2021, 03:07 PM)Deecee Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 02:23 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That was it, floatation tank!Smile
That sounds like a good solution Deecee.
My daughter and I have always been dreadful worriers, but my youngest son never worries, no matter what happens.  He gave me a lot of food for thought when he said to me one day:

'You and sister worry about what might happen because you're trying to anticipate and solve problems before they happen.  So often they never happen and you've wasted all that worry.  Just wait until the problem arises, and then solve it.  You'll save yourself a lot of worry!'

You know what, he's so right!
Exactly - he's not wrong about that. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(19-12-2021, 11:39 AM)crafters_corner Wrote: Do you worry about aging, and how you are going to cope being on your own?
If you get sick?

Do you worry that you might have to move to a retirement village?
Or go and live with family?

Is the pension enough for you to survive on your own, if you're keeping good health?
(not meant to be a personal question, about other monies you might have)

Will you have to downsize?
What will happen to all your things, that take up space?

Will your family take care of you?

So my partner was older. I sold the house to my son, well sold what was left of the mortgage. Moved in with aged mum and disabled brother.
Partner died. 
Mum hates the idea of a home, and my brother, well he couldn't live on his own physically or financially.

It will be a me and him soon, and Supported Living for us both.  Mum signed the house over to him already so no mortgage or rent. Although it does need work, what I do about it I don't know yet.
If he can sell it and if he can find a smaller place for what he'd get, after REA fees, lawyers etc, well good. But that's dubious, it's in the crap neighbourhood. 
So the only other thing is a reverse mortgage.
Dunno, a problem for later.

He'll outlive me anyway so maybe a problem for whoever gets to care for him then.

I too loathe the idea of homes. They all sound good in the ads, then you read about the reality in the news.
No thanks.

Even the pension isn't enough for one person, it needs 2 really. Doable then though, so long as the house is mortgage free.