Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Aotearoa compares with other small countries' Covid situation
I'm sick of this PC gone mad to appease the British, we need a lot more Maori language used rather than boring English names.

Christchurch already had a perfectly good name, Ōtautahi, but to be PC to the English they copied a name from Dorset! I think it is ridiculous. We should revert back to the proper names for places which already had perfectly good names. It's like the "South Island", how shithouse of a name is that? We should use the proper name Te Waipounamu.

We are our own proper country here, don't need to be copying the UK. Of course I am in favour of the Queen, but we don't need to be copying British names all over the shop, PC gone mad!
(22-12-2021, 12:29 PM)Olive Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 12:11 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Where is Aotearoa, I have no idea where it is because Im from New Zealand
You have my sincere sympathy for your obviously very poor education.   To get you started in what I hope will be an inspiring journey of discovery here's a handy link.  Enjoy!   

https://teara.govt.nz/en/1966/aotearoa
interesting read, thanks
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-12-2021, 01:00 PM)TygerTung Wrote: I'm sick of this PC gone mad to appease the British, we need a lot more Maori language used rather than boring English names.

Christchurch already had a perfectly good name, Ōtautahi, but to be PC to the English they copied a name from Dorset! I think it is ridiculous. We should revert back to the proper names for places which already had perfectly good names. It's like the "South Island", how shithouse of a name is that? We should use the proper name Te Waipounamu.

We are our own proper country here, don't need to be copying the UK. Of course I am in favour of the Queen, but we don't need to be copying British names all over the shop, PC gone mad!
Not sure I would call that PC gone mad - you talk about it like it just happened a few years ago - there's a couple of centuries of colonisation to undo first
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-12-2021, 01:00 PM)TygerTung Wrote: I'm sick of this PC gone mad to appease the British, we need a lot more Maori language used rather than boring English names.

best post of the day
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(22-12-2021, 01:14 PM)Magoo Wrote:

best post of the day
Agreed, brilliant. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
ive always admired the Hawaiians acceptance and use of native place names, and the laid back attitude towards the language and culture in general.

mele kalikimaka everyone

da kine.

so Christchurch wasnt named after that chap they nailed up in egypt way back when?
*ruminates*
I am a fan of the Queen too, but when she goes I'm turning republican.

As for names, I'm all for te reo versions, but I quite like to keep the earlier versions alongside. Aotearoa New Zealand is a mouthful, but I can manage that, specially now I have learned to spell it.

Respect for language is a wonderful thing, I'm totally behind that. But while we are being careful with other languages, perhaps we could be as kind with our own? After all, both come with baggage...

(22-12-2021, 01:46 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 01:43 PM)jim157 Wrote: This post by jim157 has been deleted.
This post by Magoo has been deleted.
Tempting isn't it? 

Can I just add 'misogynistic' to your very appropriate wanker comment?

I suspect though our jim is one of those who delights in trying to stir up the locals. Probably spits in the streets, parks in disabled spots, and kicks cats as well...

Won't work here though. We have a high tolerance for total shits. After all, we have a special talent for being one, given the right incentive.

Big Grin
it chaps my hide
New Zealand has a diverse ethnic mix
Māori are the indigenous population of New Zealand. New Zealand also has a large migrant population, bringing a wide range of different ethnicities. More than a quarter of the population was born overseas (27.4%).

In 2018, the New Zealand population included:

70.2% European (3,297,860 people)
16.5% Māori (775,840 people)
15.1% Asian (707,600 people)
8.1% Pacific peoples (381,640 people)
1.5% Middle Eastern, Latin American and African (MELAA) (70,330 people).
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
If you go back far enough, we're all related anyway. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
only one in nine californian residents were born there
outnumbered by both asian and hispanic communities. across the board.
lovely people the californians, they have a saying
'it only matters to us'
it means we as adults are the only ones who recognise the immigrant.
the next generation has nothing to compare it to, and only sees another american.
(22-12-2021, 01:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 01:46 PM)Magoo Wrote: This post by Magoo has been deleted.
Tempting isn't it? 

I suspect though our jim is one of those who delights in trying to stir up the locals. Probably spits in the streets, parks in disabled spots, and kicks cats as well...

Won't work here though. We have a high tolerance for total shits. After all, we have a special talent for being one, given the right incentive.

Big Grin
what was wrong about my now deleted comment you want to embrace the maori reo what about the rest of the baggage
yes i know
(22-12-2021, 06:13 PM)jim157 Wrote:
(22-12-2021, 01:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Tempting isn't it? 

Big Grin
what was wrong about my now deleted comment you want to embrace the maori reo what about the rest of the baggage
mine was deleted too, but to be fair i wasnt accusing a race of people of infanticide. i merely pointed out that your doctor thinking youre a fool (your words not mine) might not be alone in that sentiment. a quick witty riposte in fun imo
nothing in it to warrant censorship over but there you go, mine is not to question why.