Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Staying safe from infection
With the ongoing threat of COVID19 it is probably wise to brush up on practices that will protect you and others from the risk of infection. Dr John Campbell from the UK has been posting ongoing updates on YouTube regarding new research on COVID19 and associated matters. This one from yesterday:

Yes, alot of common sense advice here.
Masks dont do much to prevent infection, but do help stop you spreading it if you are sick, unless you are wearing a full face respirator(basically a gas mask) you are not 100% protected from virus particles getting in through your eyes.
(17-02-2020, 01:35 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Yes, alot of common sense advice here.
Masks dont do much to prevent infection, but do help stop you spreading it if you are sick, unless you are wearing a full face respirator(basically a gas mask) you are not 100% protected from virus particles getting in through your eyes.
In a previous post Dr John suggested playing a game with your partner/parent/child where you tell each other when touching their own face. This will impress on you how often we actually touch our face (nose, mouth, eyes) with our hands which is a common infection risk.
One advantage of wearing even a basic mask is to restrict touching of your face.
The most common problem is we teach everyone to wash and wash our hands, this leads to lower immune systems in our body as they are not being exposed to the most basic of germs to let our bodies build up that immunity, I believe this is part of why there are so many epidemics
(17-02-2020, 03:51 PM)crab2 Wrote: The most common problem is we teach everyone to wash and wash our hands, this leads to lower immune systems in our body as they are not being exposed to the most basic of germs to let our bodies build up that immunity, I believe this is part of why there are so many epidemics
I'm quite comfortable picking fruit and eating it with dirty hands from gardening or other outdoor work but I can definitely see the wisdom in washing hands in public areas particularly when there is likely to be a threat of exposure to something as serious as this virus (or hepatitis or salmonella or leptospirosis) in the environment.
(17-02-2020, 01:35 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Yes, alot of common sense advice here.
It has been suggested the best thing masks do is stop people touching their face. In that case even the most basic will do. For those wearing glasses the ones with an exhaust vent are good as they reduce fogging of glasses.
Now NZ & Australian Govts are opening our Borders.
How Stupid is that.
It is far too soon for doing so.
We do need our borders to be open where it is safe to do so. I applaud the decision to open a bubble with Australian states.
(10-04-2021, 06:55 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: We do need our borders to be open where it is safe to do so.  I applaud the decision to open a bubble with Australian states.
Please don't take offence as this isn't directed at you personally but this post didn't age well Sad
(18-10-2021, 11:25 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 06:55 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: We do need our borders to be open where it is safe to do so.  I applaud the decision to open a bubble with Australian states.
Please don't take offence as this isn't directed at you personally but this post didn't age well Sad
"That's Aussies for ya !" Dodgy
Pitty they ever opened Them as it has come back & bitten the Govt in the face. 
It should never have been opened. Another year would have been better. 
We were all doing really well in NZ till that happened.  Now look at the problems it has caused.
Yeah but we can't remain the hermet kingdom forever.
personally I would rather live in a hermit kingdom than a plague infested one...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Me too.
(15-11-2021, 08:54 PM)king1 Wrote: personally I would rather live in a hermit kingdom than a plague infested one...
Me too.
(16-11-2021, 07:01 AM)Olive Wrote:
(15-11-2021, 08:54 PM)king1 Wrote: personally I would rather live in a hermit kingdom than a plague infested one...
Me too.
Me too
(16-11-2021, 09:07 AM)Orthelia Wrote:
(16-11-2021, 07:01 AM)Olive Wrote: Me too.
Me too
Me too.
(15-11-2021, 09:34 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Me too.
(formerly mkr)  I looked at it that way too for a long time.  Realized we have to face it eventually, unless the virus mutates to something less damaging, unlikely, or they discover a knock out cure, we are going to be stuck with this for a long time.  Medicals are suggesting now everyone will eventually get it.  I create a space for the knock out cure.
Hello you! Nice to see you!
Let's hope we grow a stronger natural immunity.
(17-11-2021, 06:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Hello you! Nice to see you!
Let's hope we grow a stronger natural immunity.

Yes I am for that