Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scrapbooking...Journalling...Cardmaking...etc
Who here loves using paper in their crafts??

I do very much. I used to make cards...isn't that how most of us start out at least??..but now I do more mixed media, using lots of paper, watercolours, medium products (gesso etc), stencils, and so much more.

I've been lucky enough to get over to Melbourne twice to Paperific, and it was awesome to see so much product that I'd never heard of before.

It is getting very hard to source products in NZ now (in REAL shops), but also, it's getting the same in Australia. Not sure why. I guess because it's easier to buy on the internet.

I've been busy rearranging my craft area, so that it is a more usable and manageable space. I like to be able to reach my stuff, without getting out of my chair. My trolley on wheels is brilliant for that.

What are you all making at the moment?? It would be great to share ideas here.
I am very happy that nzoomed has given us our own sub category, as I felt that at times, us paper crafters got a bit 'lost' in the general crafts/hobbies board on TM. So many people doing sewing/knitting and the like. We now have our own space. Thanks tmmb/nzoomed et al Smile
I did start Scrapbooking years ago, when it first got here from the USA. I made 2 Scrapbooks - one a Winnie-The Pooh themed one with preschool photos of my son and daughter. And the other a 'Schooldays" album, with photos from primary, intermediate and high school, as well as Music and Sports pages, which they were both very involved with. I was quite pleased with the way they turned out, although I'm not very creative.

Then I mentioned Scrapbooking to my friend, who is incredibly talented and creative, as I knew she would be brilliant at it - and she is! She also makes cards as well as beautiful albums to leave forĀ her children eventually. She was so good that I felt embarrassed with my efforts and gave up! I've decided that I'm much better at writing our family stories to leave to my two, so that's what I'm working on. I would so love to be arty and crafty, but it's not going to happen. I love being around talentedĀ people and seeing what they create - I have another friend who's an artist and paints wonderful portraits.
You gave up because your friend was talented? You do realise talent is 90% practise and 10% sheer luck, right?
(24-10-2021, 12:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You gave up because your friend was talented? You do realise talent is 90% practise and 10% sheer luck, right?

No, I don't agree. When you see my work and hers - day and night! I think it matters if you've been doing things since you were young and have that talent; not everyone is creative but has other strengths. I just haven't been encouraged when young, and then tried but don't have it in me; I also don't have the time to waste now in doing something that's hard for me. I'd rather do something to make good use of the few years I have left (I'm mid 70s)! Hence the books I'm writing that I feel proud of, and my children will enjoy in the future, I hope.
I'm biased. I teach people who gave up on their artmaking because they had no support. The thing is, old dogs can learn new tricks, and we can all make beautiful things - if we just stop listening to the voices inside and out that say otherwise. Good luck with your future adventures...

Oh, and I'm an oldie too!
(24-10-2021, 04:00 PM)Outsider Wrote:
(24-10-2021, 12:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: You gave up because your friend was talented? You do realise talent is 90% practise and 10% sheer luck, right?

No, I don't agree. When you see my work and hers - day and night! I think it matters if you've been doing things since you were young and have that talent; not everyone is creative but has other strengths. I just haven't been encouraged when young, and then tried but don't have it in me; I also don't have the time to waste now in doing something that's hard for me. I'd rather do something to make good use of the few years I have left (I'm mid 70s)! Hence the books I'm writing that I feel proud of, and my children will enjoy in the future, I hope.
Why would you compare yourself to someone else? That shows a complete lack of confidence, and faith in your own abilities, rather than what anyone else is doing, or not doing.

Creativity is very subjective. What one thinks is awful, someone else will love.

I believe totally, that we are all creative. Whether that's in the garden, or in the kitchen, or making scrapbooks. We all have talents. And doesn't that make for a wonderful world.

'Whatever you do, do it with love in your heart'
Smile

My creativity has gone awol.Sad
My desire to create anything, has diminished.
My mojo disappeared.
I'm lost, in a lost world.
Save me......
....from myself