Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My local fruit and vegie shop
(24-12-2021, 10:36 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: has been taken over by an Indian family and is a vast improvement on the previous business in variety, service, and price. They have opened another shop a bit further up the main route so now we have one close to each of our competing supermarkets, which keeps them honest and competitive.

Yesterday though I noticed a wee sign by their door that said they were open on Christmas Day, and it made me wonder about the way our legislation supports religious holidays of the Christian variety, but doesn't pay the same respect to Muslim, or Hindu, or Jewish or any of the other faith based celebrations. 

If our local fruit guys get clobbered with a fine as has happened in the past, would they not then have a case for state based religious persecution? 

Is it time we took a hard look at our own social bias towards one faith?
I know a few corner stores run by Indians that stay open on Xmas.
I didnt think it was illegal to work on Xmas if its your business? Its only if you employ others isint it?

Xmas has nothing to do with Christianity these days for most people, its just an excuse for a holiday which I think one day a year everybody should be entitled to a day off work, but if you choose to work and open yourself, I dont see an issue, as long as employees are not forced to work.