Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generation Z annoying
Apparently, those who are generation Z have managed to annoy quite a few people.
 (Those born from 1997- 2012, aged 12 to 27)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/30103...rest-of-us

"If there was one industry you’d imagine would suit Generation Z down to the ground, one place where the younger members of the workforce should find themselves in a “safe space” where they can really, as they would put it, “live their truth”, it would surely be Hollywood. Nowhere accommodates the egocentric quite like La La Land.
Not so, it seems, on Jodie Foster’s set.

The actress has deemed working with Gen Z to be, in a word, “annoying”. While she applauds the “authenticity” younger generations often embody, and celebrates the “possibility of real freedom” they are able to enjoy, Foster admits to finding their attitudes to work hard to swallow. “They’re really annoying, especially in the workplace,” she told The Guardian. “They’re like, ‘Nah, I’m not feeling it today, I’m gonna come in at 10.30am.’”
She doesn’t think much of their grammar either. “In emails, I’ll tell them ‘This is all grammatically incorrect, did you not check your spelling?’ And they’re like, ‘Why would I do that, isn’t that kind of limiting?’”

The trouble with the young, Foster says, is that they are all too in their heads. “They need to learn how to relax, how to not think about it so much, how to come up with something that’s theirs.”
She wouldn’t be the first A-lister to have a problem with Gen Z. Whoopi Goldberg came under fire last year for suggesting they might be work-shy. “I’m sorry, if you only want to work four hours, it’s going to be harder for you to get a house,” she said in a discussion about why Gen Z are in a more precarious financial position than their parents. “We had to bust our behinds because we didn’t have the option of going back,” she added.
This is a generation that has a vastly different expectation of what constitutes a work-life balance to their employers.
They are demanding new things: the flexibility to work remotely, more time off, better perks and higher pay. And while the generation before them was naturally ambitious (a PwC survey conducted in 2011 found millennial workers’ top priority was career progression), this generation is focused on two things: pay and pleasure.

This is a generation that completed university degrees in their childhood bedrooms. For them, working from home is the norm.
Some say it’s all evidence of laziness, others that this generation is simply refusing to comply with a working culture established by Boomers. Forty-one years have passed between the first of the Boomer generation and the youngest of Gen Z entering the workforce. It’s perhaps not so surprising that attitudes and expectations will have changed in that time."
I'm not so sure about that. My younger grandkids fit into that category; one has  been working to put himself through uni (including doing his masters) because his parent's income is only just above the limit which means he couldn't get student allowance; he's about to start a good, but demanding job next month.
Another is working full time while contining to write & intends to go to uni in the future.
And I really don't think,going by what I've heard from other parents/grandparents, that their generation is invariably as described.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was shocked by my kid recently when she blithely remarked if her car was low on gas, rather than go fill it up she 'just took the other one'.

And she's not even a Z...
Now that we have gone past Z, do the letters roll back to A?
There is a certain attitude of self entitlement among some millennials, but wouldn't go as far to say they are all annoying.
I don't want to work with young people anymore...and my boss won't hire them anymore - they are just too precious.

That said, re my signature. When I was young I'd leave a job, have a month or 2 off doing what I wanted to do, then get another job...for awhile. I counted them up many years ago - 1970 to 1990, 20 years, and 20 jobs. Not much different these days. One time my mother went to Canada to see my brother, and she said ''I don't want to see you change jobs while I'm away.'' When she came back a few weeks later she said ''Where are you working now ? I said 'I'm not, I'm between jobs at the moment.''

And now I'm 70 working a 40 hour week.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-01-2024, 05:31 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Now that we have gone past Z, do the letters roll back to A?
There is a certain attitude of self entitlement among some millennials, but wouldn't go as far to say they are all annoying.

There's a thought - maybe the next lot will be generation A or perhaps they'll go AB or something. Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't find them any different from when I was a young fella. Its just the TV and negative people regurgitating each other. Think about it for a bit. Smile
(21-01-2024, 04:16 PM)Mike Oxlong Wrote: I don't find them any different from when I was a young fella. Its just the TV and negative people regurgitating each other. Think about it for a bit.  Smile

There's probably an element of that, still the silly season. Rolleyes