Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I always thought Leonardo di C
was a bit of a wimp, but watching him throw a right royal tantie in Don't Look Up  (Netflix) is a treat.

Big Grin
(28-12-2021, 01:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: was a bit of a wimp, but watching him throw a right royal tantie in Don't Look Up  (Netflix) is a treat.

Big Grin

Haha, a bit overdone, I thought.
But the ending was a treat Smile
I loved the ending. All of them, lol.
"Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise".

Awwwwwwww poor Jack. Poor Rose.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
No, that movie is on my Never Ever List.
(28-12-2021, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No, that movie is on my Never Ever List.

Too bad -it is actually very good.
My grandfather was very nearly on that ship. The trend towards making entertainment out of tragedy is not something I like very much.
(30-12-2021, 01:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My grandfather was very nearly on that ship.  The trend towards making entertainment out of tragedy is not something I like very much.

Huh.  So you have seen no films about any war, no true stories such as Dallas Buyers Club or And the Band Played on?
Films about tragedy, if done right, can be  very good.  Consider United 93, Out of the Blue, Deepwater Horizon and Patriots Day.  All amazing films based on real life tragedy.
(30-12-2021, 12:45 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(28-12-2021, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: No, that movie is on my Never Ever List.

Too bad -it is actually very good.
I enjoyed it too. I wouldn't rate it in my top 10, but maybe top 20. Mind you, I'm not particularly a movie watcher, so probably doesn't mean anything.

I think it's worth a watch, if you like a love story, that ends in tragedy.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
(30-12-2021, 01:13 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(30-12-2021, 01:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My grandfather was very nearly on that ship.  The trend towards making entertainment out of tragedy is not something I like very much.

Huh.  So you have seen no films about any war, no true stories such as Dallas Buyers Club or And the Band Played on?
Films about tragedy, if done right, can be  very good.  Consider United 93, Out of the Blue, Deepwater Horizon and Patriots Day.  All amazing films based on real life tragedy.
None of which I have watched.

I prefer imagined events for entertainment. Escapism. Literally.
(30-12-2021, 02:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(30-12-2021, 01:13 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Huh.  So you have seen no films about any war, no true stories such as Dallas Buyers Club or And the Band Played on?
None of which I have watched.

I prefer imagined events for entertainment. Escapism. Literally.
You are missing out.  Some of the best films are often based on true stories.  Schindlers List for example.  Or The Pianst.  Both incredible films telling of truly horrible events but with uplifting endings.
Why? The reality didn't have uplifting qualities? Maybe not, although on the screen, some people made a great deal of money out of other people's tragedies. I guess that might be described as uplifting.

Bit like disaster tourism. There's always money in muck as my grandfather used to say...
Dallas buyers club was brilliant - but then I'm a Mathew McConaughey fan. His book Green lights, is well worth reading too - not the conventional book-by-a-star at all, & I really enjoyed it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5283...reenlights
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(30-12-2021, 03:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Why? The reality didn't have uplifting qualities? Maybe not, although on the screen, some people made a great deal of money out of other people's tragedies. I guess that might be described as uplifting.

Bit like disaster tourism. There's always money in muck as my grandfather used to say...
I consider movies like titanic to be another form of collective knowledge (albeit with a bit of artistic license), without which there would be no knowledge for humanity to learn from past mistakes
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(03-01-2022, 06:52 PM)king1 Wrote:
(30-12-2021, 03:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Why? The reality didn't have uplifting qualities? Maybe not, although on the screen, some people made a great deal of money out of other people's tragedies. I guess that might be described as uplifting.

I consider movies like titanic to be another form of collective knowledge (albeit with a bit of artistic license), without which there would be no knowledge for humanity to learn from past mistakes
When I was a kid, I saw a movie called "A Night to Remember" about the Titanic.
I do have other cameras!
(03-01-2022, 06:52 PM)king1 Wrote:

There is a difference with intention between the blockbuster movie makers and those making documentaries.

When it comes to the stories of human tragedy I prefer the imaginary kind. The real world kind is a whole lot less entertaining.
(04-01-2022, 05:28 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 06:52 PM)king1 Wrote: I consider movies like titanic to be another form of collective knowledge (albeit with a bit of artistic license), without which there would be no knowledge for humanity to learn from past mistakes
There is a difference with intention between the blockbuster movie makers and those making documentaries.

When it comes to the stories of human tragedy I prefer the imaginary kind. The real world kind is a whole lot less entertaining.
And then there's the situation of fictional movies becoming reality. Some interesting examples here although I would also add GATTACA, Ex Machina and possibly The Lobster, and Idiocracy is way closer than 2505 and many would argue is already here.

[Image: FIFjiK9VIAAbk5o?format=jpg&name=medium]
Science fiction worth reading always has a predictive quality. It stops it overlapping too heavily with fantasy.

I read somewhere that there are only a few storylines, and that all our tales are based on one or other of those. And of course those are the same in the world or in books, so maybe it is just I prefer those lines only concern imaginary people if I am going to engage for entertainment.
Children of men was excellent - & had the lovely Clive Owen in the lead role, with a cameo appearance from Michael Caine.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I enjoyed that too. Definitely worth a rewatch. As was Ex Machina...