Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Feeding a new kitten
Question 
We have a new kitten (he's 7 weeks old), and I'm trying to decide whats best to feed him, within our budget.
So far he's been eating the Chef kitten food pouches and he likes that just fine.  But I think the pouches work out expensive and I dont like how much non-recyclable waste they produce.
I've looked in all our local supermarkets and no one stocks the Chef kitten food in a can any more, or the Whiskers kitten food in a can either. It seems its pouches or nothing.  The cans worked out much cheaper and the can could be recycled.  I've asked the companies if the disappearance of these ranges is just due to supply issues or if its permanent but no one has replied.
So that leaves the even more expensive 'posh' brands, however they dont seem to have any thing in kitten formula either.
Is feeding a kitten the 'adult' Chef really that bad?  I'm sure I used to years ago, before separate kitten formula was an option.  At what age can they start eating the adult food?   I do want whats best for our wee man but need to be practical about balancing it with our budget and the environment too.
It's lovely to see another familiar name from TM. Welcome.

It is really important to feed them kitten food. It has the correct nutients for kittys age. Adult food would be hard on their little tummy's I would think.
I don't think you're supposed to give them milk either. Water is better.

I have only ever bought my pet food from the supermarket, and while I used to give my cats wet tin food, it's only ever bikkies now. It's just my preference, and it's cleaner.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
DATOO! So good to see you!

Oh the good old days when we just chopped up gravy beef once a day and that was their lot, lol! Don't know about kitten food, but my old girl eats purple sachet stuff, half a satchet umpteen times a day, on demand. She has IBS and it is the only food her gut doesn't reject within hours. Dry food even faster - I think it is just too rough on her innards. And yes it is expensive, especially in these supply chain restricted numbers per shopper day, so I buy on special, and mix in the odd wee can of jellimeat which also seems safe for her sensitivities. She is picky though,I have to vary the tastes or she leaves it - and I object to wasted food.

So, do we get a pic of this wee sweetheart?
It's quite hard to find advice that isn't advertorial. Here's a link to some SPCA information that might help.

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-base/w...my-kitten/

Take comfort in the knowledge that it's only for a short time that the kitten will need special food. We fed ours on Whiskas sachets for a couple of months, then switched to Jimbo's raw beef, which comes in very useful recyclable containers.