Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Force close PC
Is there a way that when you press the shutdown icon in the menu that windows will close no matter if you have anything open. e.g. I use notepad a fair bit and its usually open in the task bar, I forget that its open and go to log off my PC then my PC will go through the close down stages and so I wander off, when I come to use it again I notice that it hasn't logged off and on the screen there is a notice saying notepad is open do I want to close it and it hasn't shut down Grrrr
I know how to force close programs that wont close before I log off, thats not the problem, I just want to log off and it closes.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
that will happen for a couple of reasons Oldfellah

Notepad may have unsaved data, in which case it is a protection mechanism so you don't loose the work you have been working on. It pops up the we modal box asking if you want to save data. Generally a bad idea to force close in this situation for obvious reasons ie data loss

or it could be that you have left the 'Open' or 'Save' explorer window open which may cause a similar halt to a shutdown process.

I'm not sure there is any way to override the default behaviour you are seeing...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-01-2022, 09:48 AM)king1 Wrote: that will happen for a couple of reasons Oldfellah

Notepad may have unsaved data, in which case it is a protection mechanism so you don't loose the work you have been working on.  It pops up the we modal box asking if you want to save data.  Generally a bad idea to force close in this situation for obvious reasons ie data loss

or it could be that you have left the 'Open' or 'Save' explorer window open which may cause a similar halt to a shutdown process.

I'm not sure there is any way to override the default behaviour you are seeing...
Cheers for that I was thinking it was a data saving thing, guess im too impatient ill just have to wait until i know it closes properly
yes, there are a couple of ways to do it.
try this first, its my go to for most consumer electronics.
place the computer in the microwave for a few minutes.
15 minutes on defrost is usually enough.
if you cant get the unit into the microwave take the door off, its just baggage, chuck it.
let the computer rest and reset for a couple of days should be good to go.

let me know how you get on because there are other ways to skin this particular cat.
they involve sage smudge, a manitou and a manual egg beater, so a bit more kit will be required.

i know a lot about this sort of thing.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I did that and all that was left was a bit of plastic with the name "Magoo" on it. At least I think it was plastic or it could have been crap!
(02-01-2022, 09:58 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: I did that and all that was left was a bit of plastic with the name "Magoo" on it. At least I think it was plastic or it could have been crap!
sounds like someone didnt follow the instructions.
i cannot be held liable for outcomes arising from comprehension shortcomings.
and i'll take that bit of plastic with my name on it too.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Instead of shutting it off consider using Hibernate. IT's on the shut down menu or if it's not is easy to put there. Hibernate does indeed shut the pc off but in such a way that it starts up again MUCH faster. Also any apps/programs/etc which are open will be retained in the state they're in when you Hibernate the device. So that your notepad file will simply still be there when you restart after a Hibernate. It's my favorite way to shut down the pc as its way faster to restart. If you Hibernate there will be NO reason ever for the shutdown process to 'hang' on a stuck app.

One thing to bear in mind is that if the computer want's to restart for a reason such as to update something you must shut it down 'properly' and then restart - don't use Hibernate in that situation. Otherwise I highly reccomend it.

(02-01-2022, 11:23 AM)Me+Me Wrote: Instead of shutting it off consider using Hibernate.  IT's on the shut down menu or if it's not is easy to put there.  Hibernate does indeed shut the pc off but in such a way that it starts up again MUCH faster.  Also any apps/programs/etc which are open will be retained in the state they're in when you Hibernate the device.  So that your notepad file will simply still be there when you restart after a Hibernate.  It's my favorite way to shut down the pc as its way faster to restart.  If you Hibernate there will be NO reason ever for the shutdown process to 'hang' on a stuck app. 

One thing to bear in mind is that if the computer want's to restart for a reason such as to update something you must shut it down 'properly' and then restart - don't use Hibernate in that situation.  Otherwise I highly reccomend it.

Ill give it a go, thanks
You could just suspend. Uses almost no power and powers back up almost instantly.