Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is it headline news? It happens all the time.
On the news recently; the 33rd mass shooting this month in America. The shooter killed 10 and injured 10 others. 

What was different about that shooting that it made headlines? It’s bad enough being the 33rd but what makes it stand out? It’s just another mass shooting. They do it all the time. 

There were 650 mass shootings last year alone. So why give that incident all that publicity over all the others? I don't understand it. Mass shootings are what the Yanks do. What is it that makes that incident stand out? It does just not make sense.
Is that NZ news ? I haven't seen it on any online news site...TV ? TV news is a different story, they need people to keep their eyes glued to the screen - a mass shooting will do the trick.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(30-01-2023, 01:39 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Is that NZ news ?  I haven't seen it on any online news site...TV ?  TV news is a different story, they need people to keep their eyes glued to the screen - a mass shooting will do the trick.

As you say, it is not NZ news and it was on TV1 news.

I could understand why a mass shooting in NZ would be headline news, as we don't do that sort of thing over here on a regular basis and not in other overseas countries either. It seems that mass shootings in America is just a normal pastime.
I think that they really are going to have to do something about changing things there - which wouldn't be easy given their backward views on gun owning,
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(30-01-2023, 02:39 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think that they really are going to have to do something about changing things there - which wouldn't be easy given their backward views on gun owning,

You're correct. It is their backward views. The second amendment says:    

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That was the case some 100 or so years ago and the gun lobby will quote that as a reason as to why all citizens have the right to own a gun. But, of course, that requirement has ceased to exist but when they quote the amendment they conveniently don't mention the first half of the sentence. It's an amendment that needs to be repealed.

Thank goodness we have strict gun laws in our wonderful country. I definitely would not like to live in America.  
 A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to k
On an American site I am on they had a thread called Mass Shooting of the Week, then it became Mass Shooting of the Day...and now it is Mass Shooting of the Hour. Maybe they are slow (asleep probably), but no one is talking about it.
Waging war with society
(30-01-2023, 02:39 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think that they really are going to have to do something about changing things there - which wouldn't be easy given their backward views on gun owning,

yep agreed, when you start counting your mass shootings on a per monthly basis you know you have a problem...

I found an 'interesting' resource on the topic
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repor...s-shooting
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Americans say its not the gun that kills its the person, but that person would have a harder time killing if there were no guns, go figure!
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(30-01-2023, 04:00 PM)king1 Wrote:

yep agreed, when you start counting your mass shootings on a per monthly basis you know you have a problem...

THAT is sobering reading. Dodgy

Surely, commonsense must prevail soon & they decide to change their laws.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(30-01-2023, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(30-01-2023, 04:00 PM)king1 Wrote: yep agreed, when you start counting your mass shootings on a per monthly basis you know you have a problem...

THAT is sobering reading. Dodgy

Surely, commonsense must prevail soon & they decide to change their laws.

You would think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately the gun lobby has a very big influence and they are, as their name suggests, all for keeping the citizens armed. From what I read they have a very big significance when it come to keeping the citizens armed.
Some years ago I did an in-depth review of gun violence v. gun ownership in the US. It's possible that things might have changed but I think that's reasonably unlikely. Some of the things I learned were:
- The US is 50 states, every one with its own laws. Some states have laws that permit things like concealed carry of handguns. Others have laws that are far tighter than we have here. The idea of lumping the whole issue on "the US" is totally erroneous. There are some places where what we perceive as "the" American culture is rife. In most cases it is not. Every state has its own culture.
- The statistics on gun safety and gun crime had no relationship to how tight the laws were. Some of the most liberal states were the safest. Some of those with the tightest controls were the most dangerous. And the reverse was also true in some places.
- One of the biggest issues then, and probably worse now, is that kids grow up watching violent movies (and now playing computer games) where they see and pseudo-experience use of guns in a totally fictitious context. Instead of growing up shooting rabbits and learning first hand about how, why and when to use a gun properly, and all the safety lessons that go with that, they learn all the bad stuff with no real life context.

Overall it is clear that we only see reports of the most notable mass shootings, and that there is a disproportionate number per capita compared to our population. I would hazard a guess that that is something to do with the sheer numbers of people squashed into over-crowded cities along with all the other issues that go with that.
(31-01-2023, 12:55 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Overall it is clear that we only see reports of the most notable mass shootings, and that there is a disproportionate number per capita compared to our population. I would hazard a guess that that is something to do with the sheer numbers of people squashed into over-crowded cities along with all the other issues that go with that.

and here I was thinking it was because of that stupid second amendment, maybe the power and influence of the NRA, perhaps the various government lobby groups...  do you think any of that might have any influence on the state of affairs over there?

(31-01-2023, 01:07 PM)king1 Wrote:
(31-01-2023, 12:55 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Overall it is clear that we only see reports of the most notable mass shootings, and that there is a disproportionate number per capita compared to our population. I would hazard a guess that that is something to do with the sheer numbers of people squashed into over-crowded cities along with all the other issues that go with that.

and here I was thinking it was because of that stupid second amendment, maybe the power and influence of the NRA, perhaps the various government lobby groups...  do you think any of that might have any influence on the state of affairs over there?

I think most of the power and influence of the NRA is just that they keep ramming the fact that making all the laws you like won't make a problem go away and so many people understand that and support the stance.

The second amendment is often quoted, but some states seem to have got around it.
(31-01-2023, 01:17 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(31-01-2023, 01:07 PM)king1 Wrote: and here I was thinking it was because of that stupid second amendment, maybe the power and influence of the NRA, perhaps the various government lobby groups...  do you think any of that might have any influence on the state of affairs over there?

I think most of the power and influence of the NRA is just that they keep ramming the fact that making all the laws you like won't make a problem go away and so many people understand that and support the stance.
I think many (the other 326 million Americans) would actually question that validity and legitimacy of that position.

Personally I think legislation is the only way they can fix the problem.  Clearly the behavioural change needed in a certain sector of US society will not happen on its own, therefore the change required needs to be properly targeted with appropriate legislation and effective enforcement.  Mass shootings of this scale is a uniquely US problem and the status quo is not working...

Having said that deeply embedded behavioural issues of this nature could take a generation to change, so they need to start sooner rather than later...

(31-01-2023, 01:36 PM)king1 Wrote:
(31-01-2023, 01:17 PM)SueDonim Wrote: I think most of the power and influence of the NRA is just that they keep ramming the fact that making all the laws you like won't make a problem go away and so many people understand that and support the stance.
Personally I think legislation is the only way they can fix the problem.  Clearly the behavioural change needed in a certain sector of US society will not happen on its own, therefore the change required needs to be properly targeted with appropriate legislation and effective enforcement.  Mass shootings of this scale is a uniquely US problem and the status quo is not working...

Having said that deeply embedded behavioural issues of this nature could take a generation to change, so they need to start sooner rather than later...

I think its crystal clear that America can't continue on down this path; they need change in their attitudes & laws to both guns & violence & I agree that its not something which can be changed quickly. 

They're all going to have to recognise the  need for change first & that's likely to take time - so more people will die in this way. 
Perhaps they could start by teaching school kids empathy; it might or might not help but certainly can't hurt.
(31-01-2023, 01:55 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(31-01-2023, 01:36 PM)king1 Wrote: Personally I think legislation is the only way they can fix the problem.  Clearly the behavioural change needed in a certain sector of US society will not happen on its own, therefore the change required needs to be properly targeted with appropriate legislation and effective enforcement.  Mass shootings of this scale is a uniquely US problem and the status quo is not working...

I think its crystal clear that America can't continue on down this path; they need change in their attitudes & laws to both guns & violence & I agree that its not something which can be changed quickly. 

They're all going to have to recognise the  need for change first & that's likely to take time - so more people will die in this way. 
Perhaps they could start by teaching school kids empathy; it might or might not help but certainly can't hurt.

Of course they need change but as long as their are $$$$ to be made by selling guns nothing will change at all.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(31-01-2023, 02:25 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(31-01-2023, 01:55 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think its crystal clear that America can't continue on down this path; they need change in their attitudes & laws to both guns & violence & I agree that its not something which can be changed quickly. 

Of course they need change but as long as their are $$$$ to be made by selling guns nothing will change at all.

Nail on head. Smile Rolleyes
There were far more gun killings in the US than other counties before TV, movies, overcrowded cities etc. It's just part of their culture...and it needs to change, if they want to of course, they may just love it as it is.
Waging war with society