Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have kids changed, or has society changed?
I heard someone say that kids are different these days.
I disagree.
Kids are the same.
What's changed, is society with lower expectations, lack of discipline, and acceptance of disrespect.
Give kids boundaries, expectations, rules, limits, rewards and consequences.
They will rise to the challenge, and exceed your expectations every time.

Agree or disagree??
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

AUTHOR: Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

What has changed?
(04-01-2022, 09:59 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

What has changed?
Nothing much has changed rumpy.

I wonder what 'luxury' meant, back in those days?

I adore the wisdom of these wonderful philosophers, who simply oozed intelligence and wisdom.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
It depends a lot on their environment.
I think in the right environment: encouraging and given freedom to explore but with guidance from parents, they are more confident and smarter these days.

But not everyone has the same chances if they grow up in poorer neighbourhoods with parents who also didn't get those chances and are fairly uneducated.
I could give the example of my own family to show how we got out of that environment but would take too long, and involved quite a bit of luck and individual effort.

My own children had things much easier although we didn't give them as much as others around us, and encouraged them to work while still at school at various things.
They are very different to each other though, and that's personality showing up.
Daughter is more confident than I was at her age and has a good job and now a family (started late), while son is still overseas and has done amazing things because he takes many more risks than the rest of us. The jury is still out on whether he'll be very rich or bankrupt by the time he's 50!! he deserves to be rich but no guarantees Smile

So if you can manage to get out of a poor environment, it is possible to improve things for the next generation but it's obviously much harder.

I've seen parents ignoring their young children when they try to get their attention and carry on talking to friends or on their phones.
Or worse, yell at them and tell them to be quiet. How will they ever learn?

I talked to my children all the time and read them books. Book reading is another thing you have to encourage from an early age and then school becomes so much easier once they can read and are interested in the world. I'm now doing that with my grandchild and so is my daughter.
And later on encourage the right friendships, talk about drinking and drugs and crime.

I think parenting is getting harder and as teenagers they don't always listen, as their peers are more important to them.
(04-01-2022, 09:59 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

What has changed?
Social media and the interconnectedness of us in general as a result of the internet. The deterioration of civil norms and distrust of accepted knowledge (i.e. science) has infitrated all levels of society and as children and adolescents have always been rebellious the increased communication and attachment to kindred spirits has very much been exacerbated by this.
(04-01-2022, 10:30 AM)harm_less Wrote:

What has changed?
Social media and the interconnectedness of us in general as a result of the internet. The deterioration of civil norms and distrust of accepted knowledge (i.e. science) has infitrated all levels of society and as children and adolescents have always been rebellious the increased communication and attachment to kindred spirits has very much been exacerbated by this.
Surely the amount of time kids are spending on the internet, is down to the parents lack of discipline. Kids seem to be given a 'blank cheque' to the amount of time they spend on it.

That saying "it takes a village to raise a child" is so true imo. All the adults that kids come in contact with, have a role to play in making sure that they are doing the right thing, and not getting into mischief.

There is a saying in Swahili that says "Asiye funzwa na mamae hufunzwa na ulimwengu" that basically means that children who are not taught by the mother, will be taught with the world.

(I was born, and brought up in South Africa, hence the reference to Swahili)
Both. Both society & kids have changed. How could it be otherwise when society once saw it as right & good to send small boys up chimneys to clean them, when society once saw it as right & good to transport to the other side of the world someone so desperately hungry that she stole a loaf of bread, & once also - let us never forget - saw it as right & good to hang children.

There are huge differences between now & earlier times, many of which are due to the internet - something which is both good & bad, like everything else.
I think our generation was fortunate in many ways, despite lacking the good communication we now have because the times were simpler(also both good & bad) which meant we could be playing outside most of the day, only turning up for meals.
Not so good in other ways, it was a time when women weren't encouraged to do much else other than get married, but teaching or nursing was seen as being alright until then.

Life is change. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We were a lot different from our parents generation, and caused some huge disruptions in society. Peace and Love didn't happen, but a lot of other things did...the world we live in today came out of youth rebellion. Women are still fighting for equality, but it all started back then.

But we learned from our elders, especially those of us who went through apprenticeships - that's what an apprenticeship is, being taught the skills by your elders. These days they don't need to be taught by older craftsmen, they know it already...and start from the top. No sweeping floors for the younger generation....not when someone like me will do it for them.
I'm not so sure that 'peace & love didn't happen' - certainly it didn't transform the entire planet overnight but there were massive anti war protests in various countries which do seem to have at the very least, helped end the war in Vietnam.

People are quick to criticise the present generation & claim they don't like hard work, but that hasn't been my experience at all. My grandkids & their mates are all either working, at Uni or both, & some have kids & are either studying or working.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was born in the early '80s when lead contamination pervaded everything. Even the air was filled with lead contamination from all the cars driving around.

Consequently it has a small effect on my mental development, as it has for everyone who grew up in the period of the early '20s until the mid '90s. It also increased violent crime. I'm still pretty sharp (putting modesty aside), perhaps it is because I grew up in a small seaside suburb so was contaminated as much as a more urban environment.

Children born after the mid 90s won't have had this contamination which affected earlier generations.

So yes, children have changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead
I would say that the world has changed, and children have changed accordingly. Yes they spend a lot of time on devices, but doesn't everyone? Its difficult to compare to when we were kids, things commonplace now weren't around. 

Our kids have had to adapt to a world vastly different to the one I grew up in, for better or worse.
(06-01-2022, 09:35 AM)Waterbird Wrote: I would say that the world has changed, and children have changed accordingly. Yes they spend a lot of time on devices, but doesn't everyone? Its difficult to compare to when we were kids, things commonplace now weren't around. 

Our kids have had to adapt to a world vastly different to the one I grew up in, for better or worse.
That's it, yes - each generation has different things, circumstances, new inventions & ideas, various problems, which often no previous generation has had to cope with. Smile
Our generation played outside all day & when inside read books or played board games, whereas the present generation of kids will grow up using technology to a much larger extent than previous ones have.
Children these days are too complaint. They are not naughty enough and pushing boundaries enough. What's happening to the world?
Their naughtiness has to escalate to extremes to be noticed theses day. Cops won't even respond to burglaries, assault, or even dangerous driving. To get noticed requires even more desperate measures.
(06-01-2022, 01:37 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Their naughtiness has to escalate to extremes to be noticed theses day. Cops won't even respond to burglaries, assault, or even dangerous driving. To get noticed requires even more desperate measures.

Are you sure about that?
Children are a lot freer to learn today than they were back in the early days. The advancement of the computer and the invention of the internet etc has made us leap ahead in learning at all ages. Children today have become far more independent, outgoing, and more confident and have far more self esteem than their predecessors because they are learning and understanding a lot more of what is happening around them and in their world. More questions are being answered. Children today are being treated as adults with the same respect and I think that's how it should be.

Today, as a child, it's ok to show an adult they are wrong. In the early days you dare not do that for fear of embarrassing them and then the consequences of that.

Disciplining of our children has changed, we can no longer beat them or threaten to beat them. The result is our children are far less fearful of the adults around them and so they are instantly open to more learning opportunities because their mind is no longer shutdown, fearful or they are no longer apprehensive.

Children in the early days were very restricted in what they could learn. Survival was very much still at the top of most families thoughts and activities, so everything they did centered around making it through to the next day. The early child's day was full of chores and any school work they got, if they were lucky enough to go, was done after the chores at home were done. School life and school work was seen as secondary to running the farm or business, and so the results of that were children with restricted learning opportunities.

So much has changed to help children today that we are now seeing the results of that everywhere we look. I think it's wonderful.
I'd agree that in many ways, it is wonderful that education is more accessible now - but higher education may be out of reach for many due to the cost.
I believe that ideally all education should be free at all levels, even if that means higher taxes.

Its also a huge advance that for the most part, children are no longer beaten as a matter of course, & that knowledge, including education is available via the internet to most parts of the world.
But some of the content online is trivia, conspiracy nonsense or worse.

Everything has both good & bad.
(07-01-2022, 07:27 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Are you sure about that?

You haven't seen any kids trying to be naughty ? Nice and compliant in your town ? No graffiti ?
Graffiti is no longer a kids game...
(07-01-2022, 11:24 AM)Zurdo Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 07:27 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Are you sure about that?

You haven't seen any kids trying to be naughty ?  Nice and compliant in your town ? No graffiti ?

No I was referring to your claim: "Cops won't even respond to burglaries, assault, or even dangerous driving."