Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Its A Mystery
Holiday drowning figures worst in 40 years, water safety experts try to diagnose the cause.

Do you think that perhaps the same amount of drownings would have occurred if people could holiday overseas but decided not to because of the fear of not getting back into the country?
Or do you think that the excessive amount of heat so early in the year has driven people to beaches and rivers just to cool off with no regard to safety?

Or are their other reasons?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I think water skills training has disappeared from most schools because of the cost of maintenance and meeting regulation standards. It is now a second generation issue with parents who have no skills raising children with no skills. Add immigration to that issue and we get a human cost being paid, and ACC claims skyrocketing.

We are an island nation heading into an increased average heat climate. We need to rethink water skills training in our schools and on our beaches if we do not want to see these fatalities increasing year by year.
We didn't have a swimming pool at our school...however, we did have a beach, and I grew up in the water. These days I could probably tread water for awhile until I was rescued.
If you watch that Bondi surf rescue programme you will see who gets rescued, over and over again.

Those are the folk we need to target and train.
Perhaps its time a govt sponsored learn to swim programme was set up for all kids.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I know when I was at school (just a short while ago yeah rite!) 
we had swim and life saving classes which were well attended, I dont know if anything like this exists in schools anymore. If not they should be brought back.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
my mum taught all us kids (at my school) to swim.
she wasnt a swimming teacher (RN) but she taught hundreds of kids to swim.
only catholic children mind, no pagans or blasphemers.
it was a catholic school, so it wasnt hard to weed out the sinners and the damned.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Well no. Everyone knows those damned and forsaken can't float.
(08-01-2022, 03:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well no. Everyone knows those damned and forsaken can't float.
whereas citrus does.
hmmmm spooky.
(08-01-2022, 03:08 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well no. Everyone knows those damned and forsaken can't float.
And if they can, then they're clearly witches. Mind you, they're also witches if they sink down to the bottom.... Angel Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
If witches survived they were then burned...
i think a lot of confusion occurred around nomenclature. the pitchfork toting mob would stoke up the bonfire
then they had to decide who was to be thrown on.
which witch they asked. which witch
(08-01-2022, 05:54 PM)Magoo Wrote: i think a lot of confusion occurred around nomenclature. the pitchfork toting mob would stoke up the bonfire
then they had to decide who was to be thrown on.
which witch they asked. which witch
That eternal question of which witch is which....? Big Grin Rolleyes
if you ever find yourself struggling to float
reach for some citrus.
The CCC was going to give free swimming lessons but it would lead to a 30c rates increase, so it was voted out.

https://newsline.ccc.govt.nz/news/story/...y-for-kids
Nomenclature...

I do love a good marmalade word.