Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Sayings & Quotes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“When the rich wage war, its the poor who die.”
Jean-Paul Sartre

“No. I'm not offended by the word fuck. I am, however, offended by greed, hate, corruption, fake people, prejudice, a complete lack of empathy, & close-minded humans who have nothing better to do than go around judging everyone based on their personal view of the world.”
Brooke Hampton

“What is it which is bought dearly, offered for nothing & then most often refused?
Experience, old people's experience."
Isak Dinesen
“Empathy is why we have the values of freedom, fairness, & equality – for everyone, not just for certain individuals. If we put ourselves in the shoes of others, we will want them to be free & treated fairly.”
George Lakoff

“The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor.”
Aldous Huxley

“Man is quite insane. He wouldn't know how to create a maggot, & he creates gods by the dozen.”
Michel de Montaigne
“When wealth is passed off as merit, bad luck is seen as bad character.
This is how idealogues justify punishing the sick & the poor. But poverty is neither a crime nor a character flaw. Stigmatise those who let people die, not those who struggle to live.”
Sarah Kendzior

“Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate."

Bertrand Russell

“No nation can be free if it oppresses other nations.”
Friederich Engels
“If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, resold, recycled or composted, then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production.”
Pete Seeger

“I have a hatred of apartheid in my bones; & most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language & Literature, I do not care which of them you think white.”
J.R.R.Tolkien

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
Faith Resnick
“I am not young enough to know everything.”
Oscar Wilde

“Why do you have a noncomformist like everybody else?”
James Thurber

“Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.”
Margaret Atwood

“That's not a term in office. That's a juice cleanse.”
Stephen Colbert on Liz Truss' 45 days in office.

“Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.”
Truman Capote
“Man is a rational animal. He can think up a reason for anything he wants to believe.”
Anatole France

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible."
Søren Kierkegaard

“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”

“To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.”

“Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.”
Friederich Nietzche
“A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.”

“Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil.”

“And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.”

Friederich Nietzche
“How little it takes to make us happy! The sound of a bagpipe. Without music life would be a mistake. The German even imagines God as singing songs.”

“In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.”

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” 

"Underneath this reality in which we live and have our being, another and altogether different reality lies concealed.”

Friederich Nietzche
“I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.”

“It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!” 

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

“In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.”
Friederich Nietzche
“Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it.”

The greatest minds are capable of the greatest vices as well as of the greatest virtues.”

“It is only prudent never to place complete confidence in that by which we have even once been deceived.”
René Descartes
“It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.”

“When it is not in our power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable.”

“A state is better governed which has few laws, and those laws strictly observed.”

“The senses deceive from time to time, and it is prudent never to trust wholly those who have deceived us even once.” 
René Descartes
“Good sense is of all things in the world the most equally distributed, for everybody thinks he is so well supplied with it, that even those most difficult to please in all other matters never desire more of it than they already possess.”
René Descartes

“Let us develop respect for all living things. Let us try to replace violence & intolerance with understanding & compassion. And love.”
Jane Goodall

“Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough.”
Anon
"There are two kinds of people in this world. Avoid both of them."
Arthur Schopenhauer

“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready & happy to defend all its faults & follies tooth & nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiroity.”
Arthur Schopenhauer

“When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects: This you may not read; this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny & oppression, no matter how holy the motives.”
Robert Heinlein
“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false & by rulers as useful.”
Seneca
“Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.”
 Lucius Annaeus Seneca

“True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”
Seneca
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

“All cruelty springs from weakness.”

“Non est ad astra mollis e terris via" - "There is no easy way from the earth to the stars”
 Seneca
“We suffer more often in imagination than in reality”

“Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labour does the body.”

“You act like mortals in all that you fear, and like immortals in all that you desire”
Seneca the Younger
“As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.”

“If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favourable.”
Seneca the Younger

“Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms -- you’ll be able to use them better when you’re older.”
Seneca
“It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable.”

“The time will come when diligent research over long periods will bring to light things which now lie hidden. A single lifetime, even though entirely devoted to the sky, would not be enough for the investigation of so vast a subject... And so this knowledge will be unfolded only through long successive ages. There will come a time when our descendants will be amazed that we did not know things that are so plain to them... Many discoveries are reserved for ages still to come, when memory of us will have been effaced.”

“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. ”
Seneca
“It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much. The life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully.”

“If you really want to escape the things that harass you, what you’re needing is not to be in a different place but to be a different person.”

“Until we have begun to go without them, we fail to realize how unnecessary many things are. We've been using them not because we needed them but because we had them.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
“He who is brave is free”
Seneca

“What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.”
“No man was ever wise by chance”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca