Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Sayings & Quotes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“That’s all nonviolence is – organized love.”

“You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die, or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live. Now.”

“As we know, forgiveness of oneself is the hardest of all the forgivenesses.”

Joan Baez
“If people have to put labels on me, I’d prefer the first label to be human being, the second label to be pacifist, and the third to be folk singer.”

“I’ve never had a humble opinion. If you’ve got an opinion, why be humble about it?”

“Someone had to change the world. And obviously, I was the one for the job.”

Joan Baez
Joan Baez's love song to Bob Dylan:

Diamonds and Rust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=IrVD0bP_ybg
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolution in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion." - William Inge

Also:

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

If you want peace, prepare for war.
One of the biggest problems with good people is they don’t understand how evil bad people can be.

anon
“The easiest kind of relationship for me is with ten thousand people. The hardest is with one.”

“People say I’m such a pessimist, but I always was. It never stopped me from doing what I had to do. I would say I’m a realist.”

“I’m lucky to have met so many people who have been involved in peace and who have been peace prize winners.”
Joan Baez
“I went to jail for 11 days for disturbing the peace; I was trying to disturb the war.”

“Action is the antidote to despair.”

“If you don't have music, you have silence. There is power in both.”
Joan Baez
“My concern has always been for the people who are victimized, unable to speak for themselves and who need outside help.”

“ If it's natural to kill, why do men have to go into training to learn how? “

“It's hard to find something that doesn't have a long way to go. My little motto is:
"Little victories and big defeats."

Joan Baez
"The Whole Fabric Of Society Rests Upon Labor"

Inscription on Monument attached the Ohio Supreme Court building.
“Peace might sell, but who's buying?”

“I was born gifted. I can speak of my gifts with little or no modesty, but with tremendous gratitude, precisely because they are gifts, and not things which I created, or actions about which I might be proud.”

“It seems to me that those songs that have been any good, I have nothing much to do with the writing of them. The words have just crawled down my sleeve and come out on the page.”

Joan Baez
“I asked him what made us different, and he said it was simple, that I thought I could change things, and he knew that no one could.”

“Because of my deep-seated opinion that war itself is a crime; that the killing of one child, the burning of one village, the dropping of one bomb sinks us into such depths of depravity that there’s no use bickering over the particulars.”

"I would say that I'm a non violent soldier. In place of weapons of violence, you have to use your mind, your heart,your sense of humour, every faculty
available to you...because no one has the right to take the life of another human being.”
Joan Baez
“Engineers make bridges. Artists make paintings. Scientists make rockets.
But a teacher makes them all.”
Neil de Grasse Tyson

“Cats & books are my universe. Both are fascinating & full of mystery.”
Rai Aren

“Listening is a very deep practise. You have to empty yourself. You have to leave space in order to listen. Especially to people we think are our enemies – the ones we believe are making our situation worse. When we have shown our capacity for listening & understanding, the other person will begin to listen to you, & the chance to tell him or her of your pain, & its your turn to be healed. This is the practice of peace.”
Thich Nhat Hanh
“The only thing you have to know is the location of the library.”
Albert Einstein

“One doesn't have to operate with great malice to do great harm. The absence of empathy & understanding are sufficient.”
Charles M. Blow

“In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place; it is the moral duty of individuals to uphold what is right, despite societal norms.”
Aristotle
Where does speak truth to power come from?

We can find similar formulations for speak truth to power in the early 1900s. In a 1919 eulogy for Senator William Joel Stone, one of his colleagues stated, for instance: “I honored him because he was among the few men who dare to speak truth to the people in the presence of the king, and dare to speak truth to the king in the presence of the people.”

The specific phrase speak truth to power is credited to Bayard Rustin in 1942. Rustin was a Black Quaker and a leader in the Civil Rights Movement, advocating nonviolent methods in his fight for social justice. In a letter written that year, Rustin stated that “the primary social function of a religious society is to ‘speak the truth to power.’ The truth is that war is wrong.”

What does speak truth to power mean? Stand up for what's right and tell people in charge what's what. That's the idea behind the phrase speak truth to power, an expression for courageously confronting an authority, calling out injustices on their watch, and demanding change.

Speaking truth to power is a non-violent political tactic, employed by dissidents against the received wisdom or propaganda of governments they regard as oppressive, authoritarian or an ideocracy.
“If we have the power to turn another planet into earth, then we have the power to turn earth back into earth.'
Neil DeGrasse Tyson

“The number one cause of atheism is Christians. Those who proclaim him with their mouths & deny him with their actions is what an unbelieving world finds unbelievable.”
Karl Rahner

“ It is useless for the sheep to pass resolution in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
William Inge
The Senility Prayer

"Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do & the eyesight to tell the difference."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"May I share the story of an old chinese farmer..whose horse ran off. When his neighbour came to console him the farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?” When his horse returned the next day with a herd of horses following her, the foolish neighbour came to congratulate him on his good fortune. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the farmer. Then, when the farmer’s son broke his leg trying to ride one of the new horses, the foolish neighbour came to console him again. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the farmer. When the army passed through, conscripting men for war, they passed over the farmer’s son because of his broken leg. When the foolish man came to congratulate the farmer that his son would be spared, again the farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?” ....where does it end ???"
People are like teabags; you never know how strong they’ll be till they’re in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

They are as sick that surfeit with too much, as they that starve with nothing.
Shakespeare

Civilised behaviour, I believe, is more often measured by what a person restrains himself from doing than by what he does.
Dom Helder Camara
(26-11-2023, 09:34 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]People are like teabags; you never know how strong they’ll be till they’re in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

They are as sick that surfeit with too much, as they that starve with nothing.
Shakespeare

Civilised behaviour, I believe, is more often measured by what a person restrains himself from doing than by what he does.
Dom Helder Camara

So, unless you happen to be among the scurrilous landlord fraternity, or the sisterhood of the looking through the wool, the Parlimentary Proceedings of this semester are unlikely to be entitled "Great Expectations" ?

Tongue
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist.
Dom Helder Camara

It has been said that the love of money is the root of all evil. The want of money is so quite as truly.
Samuel Butler.

“When wealth is passed off as merit, bad luck is seen as bad character. This is how ideologues justify punishing the sick & the poor. But poverty is neither a crime nor a character flaw. Stigmatise those who let people die, not those who struggle to live.”
Sarah Kendzior
The character building virtues of self help are regularly preached by those who do not want to give help to those in desperate need.
Eva Figes

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. Herman Melville

“So wickedly, devilishly false is that common objection, ‘They are poor, only because they are idle’.
John Wesley