Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Cats as predators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've often wondered if playing with the cat is just helping him to hone his predatory skills. Seems not. Apparently a study was done by University of Exeter that found that 5-10 minutes per day of play meant the cats did 25% less hunting. And also, feeding high-meat protein food resulted in 36% fewer animals killed by the cats. It's down to micro-nutrients and that part of the report matches up with what I've read elsewhere that eating grass is to offset digestive issues from a diet with insufficient wild prey. While indigestible, the grass provides folic acid and the fibre helps overall digestion. I think that's how it went.

Anyway, our nightly games have more purpose and benefit than just being fun.
If I spot her eating grass I know she has a hairball. The grass will make her throw up.
(14-12-2021, 10:37 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]If I spot her eating grass I know she has a hairball. The grass will make her throw up.
Likewise with our Bart. Part labrador that cat as he has an appetite without an off switch and he's a well muscled 7kg bruiser. He also gets his quota of veges c/o the intestinal contents of the rabbits he devours. His human delivered food consists of mince from a local pet food supplier that includes beef and various offals so no lack of minerals in that regard.

The recent wet weather is apparently coaxing a few eels out of the flooded river on our boundary and into the paddocks as I'm finding the odd 1/2 a small eel left as a gift for me in the mornings.

[attachment=144]
If I ate grass I think I would throw up to  Angel
It is best in a nice chocolate brownie imo.