Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cats as predators
I've often wondered if playing with the cat is just helping him to hone his predatory skills. Seems not. Apparently a study was done by University of Exeter that found that 5-10 minutes per day of play meant the cats did 25% less hunting. And also, feeding high-meat protein food resulted in 36% fewer animals killed by the cats. It's down to micro-nutrients and that part of the report matches up with what I've read elsewhere that eating grass is to offset digestive issues from a diet with insufficient wild prey. While indigestible, the grass provides folic acid and the fibre helps overall digestion. I think that's how it went.

Anyway, our nightly games have more purpose and benefit than just being fun.
If I spot her eating grass I know she has a hairball. The grass will make her throw up.
(14-12-2021, 10:37 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If I spot her eating grass I know she has a hairball. The grass will make her throw up.
Likewise with our Bart. Part labrador that cat as he has an appetite without an off switch and he's a well muscled 7kg bruiser. He also gets his quota of veges c/o the intestinal contents of the rabbits he devours. His human delivered food consists of mince from a local pet food supplier that includes beef and various offals so no lack of minerals in that regard.

The recent wet weather is apparently coaxing a few eels out of the flooded river on our boundary and into the paddocks as I'm finding the odd 1/2 a small eel left as a gift for me in the mornings.

If I ate grass I think I would throw up to  Angel
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
It is best in a nice chocolate brownie imo.