Too Many Message Boards
WTB Cellphone - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: PC World Forums (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: PC World Chat (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=88)
+--- Thread: WTB Cellphone (/showthread.php?tid=2980)

WTB Cellphone - piroska - 18-03-2024

Must be Android 9 or higher.
Not fussy so long as it is a smartphone and not Huawai.

My current phone (Thanks Kenj!!) Is fine, great. But certain apps I use announce they will not continue on my Android 8 and the phone cannot be updated to 9.

RE: WTB Cellphone - king1 - 18-03-2024

I've always used Motorola G3, now on G7 etc not hideously expensive and reasonably stock standard

RE: WTB Cellphone - Wainuitech - 18-03-2024

Buy New, they aren't all expensive. I got an Oppo A54s (6.5" Screen , 128MB Storage)  Couple of years old now, has all the bells and whistles most of which I never use, was around $300 at the time ( Harvey Norman) , comes with Android 13.

Its quite a tough little device, had MANY a  bounce test, saved I suspect probably due to the leather style case its in.

Dont be suckered into some Name brands and pay  $$$$$$, LOTS of others that do the same for less.

RE: WTB Cellphone - piroska - 19-03-2024

(18-03-2024, 07:43 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: Buy New, they aren't all expensive. I got an Oppo A54s (6.5" Screen , 128MB Storage)  Couple of years old now, has all the bells and whistles most of which I never use, was around $300 at the time ( Harvey Norman) , comes with Android 13.

Its quite a tough little device, had MANY a  bounce test, saved I suspect probably due to the leather style case its in.

Dont be suckered into some Name brands and pay  $$$$$$, LOTS of others that do the same for less.

Sure they are. When your income is $438 a week and most of it goes on sharing the bills.
I sure can't afford a weeks pay on a phone

RE: WTB Cellphone - Wainuitech - 19-03-2024

(19-03-2024, 12:47 PM)piroska Wrote:
(18-03-2024, 07:43 PM)Wainuitech Wrote: Buy New, they aren't all expensive. I got an Oppo A54s (6.5" Screen , 128MB Storage)  Couple of years old now, has all the bells and whistles most of which I never use, was around $300 at the time ( Harvey Norman) , comes with Android 13.

Sure they are. When your income is $438 a week and most of it goes on sharing the bills.
I sure can't afford a weeks pay on a phone

Save up for one then. The problem with 2nd hand phones is they are sometimes ( often) out of date or there's a fault with them, hence people getting rid of.  There was a article on Fairgo the other week, iphone 6 out of date and the banks app wont work anymore.

Basically throwing away your money on someone's rubbish. Looking around here, there's a few older Androids, wouldn't even give them away as they are unreliable, slow as a wet week even with a new install or to out of date for some apps (like you mentioned yours is).

The latest Android is 14, (15 is on the way) so really anything ( at a guess) older that 12 and it will soon be out of date for some apps.

RE: WTB Cellphone - king1 - 11-04-2024

have to agree, at most you only get 7 or 8 years of updates to phones etc  some as low as 2 years guaranteed... and that is from when they are first released.  Sure you can keep using it past the end of support date, but that has the usual risk tradeoff...