Too Many Message Boards
Could you live without the internet for one week? - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Could you live without the internet for one week? (/showthread.php?tid=891)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Lilith7 - 16-12-2021

I now have the perfect excuse for acquiring more books - the bookcase has developed a bit of a bow in a shelf, & thanks to Oh Hunni Hunni's helpful suggestion the other day, it has become clear that I must purchase more books in order to support the shelf from underneath.Smile

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - an amniote - 16-12-2021

(16-12-2021, 06:16 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I now have the perfect excuse for acquiring more books - the bookcase has developed a bit of a bow in a shelf, & thanks to Oh Hunni Hunni's helpful suggestion the other day, it has become clear that I must purchase more books in order to  support the shelf from underneath.Smile
Hahaha, like!

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Oh_hunnihunni - 16-12-2021

A weird thought - does anyone know why there is an interior design fad at the moment to line books up with their spines to the wall?

Do these people not read?

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - crafters_corner - 16-12-2021

I always think it's weird that people do that, but I guess it's simply for aesthetics. I don't have a heap of books, but I'd say I know what each book is, by it's size and shape, if I couldn't see the spine.

I have a bit of a quirk with my books, in that they have to be lined up perfectly. I like a little bit of a mix of heights of books, but they have to be straight across the shelf.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Oldfellah - 16-12-2021

What I have read is that on these interior design TV programs if it shows a bookcase the books are always spine to the back because of copyright infringements with the book titles. 

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Zurdo - 16-12-2021

I'm a dirty old man, and took my library book to work...and my dirt rubbed off on the book. I had to pay a fine for that. So now I take my 8'' to work and that solves that problem. I've got a house, and a garage full of books, I guess I've read most of them. But, I paid money for most of them, and can't afford to keep doing that forever. The library is my favorite place...and it's free...if you don't ruin a book.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Oh_hunnihunni - 17-12-2021

The only library book I have ever paid for is one I lost. Mysteriously, I found it some decades later. I think I still have it somewhere. Like you, the public library is a place I rely on to make my life a better experience, and not just because of the books.

As for copyright issues, I'd've thought free advertising of titles was a blessing. I know I cannot resist checking out the books in any kind of illustration, to see if they are old friends or new. I have a habit of reserving books I have seen in pictures that I might enjoy, and am rarely disappointed. Books are such rewarding objects in so many ways.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Lilith7 - 17-12-2021

I don't enjoy dusting, & at one point, I had a brilliant idea on how to keep dust from settling on top of books - simply cut newspaper to fit & lie on top of the row of books, with smaller or larger bits to fit as needed.
It took a while but it was truly brilliant & I was extremely pleased with myself for having thought of it.

Until I realised that there was a vital factor I'd forgotten to take into consideration - the dogs tail. One overly enthusiastic wag & the lot wafted to the floor.
Smile

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - crafters_corner - 17-12-2021

(16-12-2021, 08:15 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: What I have read is that on these interior design TV programs if it shows a bookcase the books are always spine to the back because of copyright infringements with the book titles. 
I doubt very much that this is the reason. You see them in plenty of these sorts of programes.
Like I said, I think it's purely an aesthetic thing. For people who like alot of neutrals. They'd rather have their pops of colour in other things...art, glassware, etc.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Lilith7 - 17-12-2021

(17-12-2021, 02:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The only library book I have ever paid for is one I lost. Mysteriously, I found it some decades later. I think I still have it somewhere. Like you, the public library is a place I rely on to make my life a better experience, and not just because of the books.

As for copyright issues, I'd've thought free advertising of titles was a blessing. I know I cannot resist checking out the books in any kind of illustration, to see if they are old friends or new. I have a habit of reserving books I have seen in pictures that I might enjoy, and am rarely disappointed. Books are such rewarding objects in so many ways.
I got first very unlucky & then very lucky, with a library book a while back.
Reaching for my coffee while reading it, I bumped the coffee which went all over the poor book & despite drying it out it was obviously too messy for the library so took it back & told them what happened. I paid for it & they let me keep the damaged one, -  still readable, which was nice of them.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Outsider - 17-12-2021

(15-12-2021, 05:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was very well behaved at the hospital. Only whinged a little bit, though I was tempted to give the nurse shoving my boobs around during the ECG a sharp little horse bite on the knee. I could see she was jealous of my abundance but that thumb on the sensitive bit was a bit much...

Remember it's their job so you're just a piece of meat that needs manipulating to them! lol

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Oh_hunnihunni - 17-12-2021

Yes. It's that manipulating I do not care for. Humph.

But I was good. Most of the time.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - jackford - 20-01-2022

Perhaps there was a time I would have replied in the negative, but for now, yep no worries. Huh!! Replied the better 1/2. Smile me, with my new stock of Desmond Bagley books, no problem

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Oh_hunnihunni - 20-01-2022

Well, having been bumped off involuntarily for most of a day this week, my answer has to be 'please, nooooooo...'

My life is so much richer via the net, and these days even my phone is net dependant, so I would be very much the poorer, and more limited without it...

Books though, if I couldn't read, I would rather be dead.

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Zurdo - 20-01-2022

Yes, you can take it all away...but leave me some books....or a cornflakes packet...just something to read !

RE: Could you live without the internet for one week? - Lilith7 - 21-01-2022

(20-01-2022, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, having been bumped off involuntarily for most of a day this week, my answer has to be 'please, nooooooo...'

My life is so much richer via the net, and these days even my phone is net dependant, so I would be very much the poorer, and more limited without it...

Books though, if I couldn't read, I would rather be dead.
Me too - the one thing humans love above all else; stories. Smile