Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spark Sports "withdrawing from streaming market"
(18-12-2022, 03:56 PM)Olive Wrote:
(18-12-2022, 11:53 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Ohhhh goody! I must get my baskets of rude remarks together again so I am armed and ready to respond any casually racist remarks I come across. Love standing up for my kid and her gorgeous brown babies. Must admit though, my aim has been a bit off since being without targets for such a long time, so apologies in advance for any bruises inflicted on innocent bystanders...

Dusting off my arsenal as we speak.   Love standing up for decency, as well as for your beautiful offspring and mokopuna.   There is no such thing as an innocent racist.  Ignorant racists, yes.

We have to be honest though Olive, there is something rather fun about a good stoush!

(18-12-2022, 02:08 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I remember my grandmother having trouble changing to decimal currency...but she got there in the end. Her generation were used to change, later generations are in ruts they get stuck in.

One of the fascinating things I came across in my research around learning in adulthood was the fact that those ruts are actually real. We create neural pathways in our brains by thinking the same things, reacting the same way, saying the same phrases - over and over again. 'Set in our ways' sums it up. So when we are confronted by the need to climb out of that rut, to use a different phrase, think differently about something, or learn new information it is actually difficult to do, because we have to make a new pathway.

Which is why many older folk don't want to learn new stuff, or do things differently, because it's hard. It might even be uncomfortable. Especially if our ego feels threatened by the new making us look foolish, or out of date. We might even feel angered by it.

I still find metrics a challenge, I have to measure twice and then think about cms or mms. Inches were so much easier...  Big Grin
The whole metric thing is just a backward mess. Rulers or steel tapes are totally wrong in the bi-system layout.
The side that is adjacent to the item you wish to measure has the units you don't wish to use. Metric ovens used on imperial recipes make immeasurable screeches on the smoke detector
Don't get me started on how far it is to town these days
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.