Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Win-11 Home to Pro, now what?
Thank you Wainuitech, once again.
Your explanation of Keys and Digital License makes some sort of sense to me now.

With all my texts, with phone contacts etc to MS I have had no direct answer or help from them.
Very frustrating!
I just came here to see how smoothly the upgrade went. It seems it just was delayed and no response from MS support. Not a good sign. I wonder if that is a common experience?

I had one heck of a time just trying to install Win 11 Home on a new SSD. Such a bad experience, partly my fault and also a bug with MS, I really should share my experience in a thread as I believe it would help others who encounter the issues I faced. I am just not a good story teller.

As for finding cheap keys. They do exist. They are only OEM keys. They can't be used to upgrade (e.g Win 11 Home to Pro). You can get legit keys that were on computers that an enterprise bought. Since they use a Volume license to register each machine/user those keys that were on those OEM machines are onsold. A few of them might get used if they bought personal computers as well or workers used the labels that are still left on those machines.

I normally pay about US$15 to US$30 for OEM keys when I need one (Which I currently am in need of). I use kinguin dot net (sorry I can't post URLs). It's currently US$25 and was recommended by a writer for Toms Hardware. If my experience goes bad with them, I will stop recommending. I am also uncertain if I can use an OEM Pro key to an already activated OEM Home motherboard so I still need to research more into this. It may just require scrubbing the OEM key.

Glad the OP got his upgrade in the end but seems very frustrating as well.
(06-12-2023, 10:21 AM)Kame Wrote: I normally pay about US$15 to US$30 for OEM keys when I need one (Which I currently am in need of). I use kinguin dot net (sorry I can't post URLs). It's currently US$25 and was recommended by a writer for Toms Hardware. If my experience goes bad with them, I will stop recommending. I am also uncertain if I can use an OEM Pro key to an already activated OEM Home motherboard so I still need to research more into this. It may just require scrubbing the OEM key.

Regarding how legit Kinguin is, may pay to have a read of this review about them.   https://voltcave.com/is-kinguin-legit/

Been in this business for over 20 years, can tell you now these keys you use at your own risk.  Its the old story if something seems to cheap there's generally something's wrong with it.

As for OEM keys - Depends if you mean the Manufactures keys or OEM you can buy from a Store, there's no way a Legit OEM key purchased from a Legit Shop that sells for over $200 is going to be sold from places like the above mentioned for around $30.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
(06-12-2023, 10:21 AM)Kame Wrote:  You can get legit keys that were on computers that an enterprise bought. Since they use a Volume license to register each machine/user those keys that were on those OEM machines are onsold. 

you're definition of 'legit' must be rather loose, OEM keys are not transferable in the Microsoft license agreement... 

But realistically, is an enterprise buying hardware, knowing it will be used with a volume license, likely to buy an OEM licensed machine? I would have thought they would just do a deal for the hardware alone...  I've not been involved in enterprise procurements so couldn't say one way or the other
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Quote:Since they use a Volume license to register each machine/user those keys that were on those OEM machines are onsold.

And that alone is illegal.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
When I was in IT we had a Client with those cheap keys (for Office)
When I had to re-install Office, activation was blocked

Rang the MS activation ph number, guy from MS said the key was never for sale in NZ, it was for another country & they wouldnt re-activate it

But, yes they usually work OK .

But please , lets stop this nonsense of claiming they are legit keys .

These so called tech websites & YT channels know better . They are just making a buck from referrals .

I'll add that the IT Company I worked for was also selling these scam keys. I knew it wasnt legit & I wasnt happy about it.
My boss only did it to make more money, he'd buy the cheap keys & sell them at full retail price .
We sold a bunch to a law firm, just a stupid thing to do .    :-(