Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few posters here seem to be worried about Act
(11-09-2023, 06:47 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Having just seen Seymour on tv1 news I think it is Luxon who should be worried. Not us...

Having seen Luxon on Q & A I think it's 95% of the citizens of Aotearoa who should be worried given his party's continued rise in opinion polls.   The remaining 5% are the non-bottom feeders/squeezed-middlers.
(10-09-2023, 07:30 PM)Kenj Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 06:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: 5  posts about Act or David Seymour on the first page.....

Hmmmmn, not a lot of class in the job seekers. They all want the job even if they only manage to stay in the job for 9 years. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

There is a new Labour candidate standing in Napier to replace Stuart Nash who got the boot. Just what we need... an effing Clinical Psychologist. He came and gave us oldies in the village a "meet the candidate MP". Sounds a very intelligent person who probably knows f..k all about the real world. He was met by silence when he finished his spiel. Not a lot of support in this village I'm afraid. Whereas the National Party candidate got a great reception.

I know that this forum has a goodly % of Labour/Green/Maori party supporters so I have never said anything, being relatively a newb to the forum from the old PF1 forum. But gee I shudder when I look at their people standing for election, I think of what damage to the country can be done if they got back in for the next 3 years.

Don't growl at me, Just my thoughts. I really am an angel  Angel  in real life.

Where is this "real world" that you write of?
I do have other cameras!
(11-09-2023, 08:04 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 07:30 PM)Kenj Wrote: Hmmmmn, not a lot of class in the job seekers. They all want the job even if they only manage to stay in the job for 9 years. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

There is a new Labour candidate standing in Napier to replace Stuart Nash who got the boot. Just what we need... an effing Clinical Psychologist. He came and gave us oldies in the village a "meet the candidate MP". Sounds a very intelligent person who probably knows f..k all about the real world. He was met by silence when he finished his spiel. Not a lot of support in this village I'm afraid. Whereas the National Party candidate got a great reception.

I know that this forum has a goodly % of Labour/Green/Maori party supporters so I have never said anything, being relatively a newb to the forum from the old PF1 forum. But gee I shudder when I look at their people standing for election, I think of what damage to the country can be done if they got back in for the next 3 years.

Don't growl at me, Just my thoughts. I really am an angel  Angel  in real life.

Where is this "real world" that you write of?

It is a place that over educated academics never visit. They (we? seeing I was one not so long ago)  have separate supermarkets, motorways, cafes, doctors, and all that stuff where 'real world people' are never seen. Just as well, I have heard rumours they are all Nat voters  Tongue and best avoided. In case it's contagious.
(11-09-2023, 04:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Very similar tale here with my Mum, except she knew what was going on and was very frightened by her misbehaving brain. That last year all she wanted to do was put her head in my lap so I could stroke her hair. It was heartbreaking.

If I get that diagnosis, I hope I have the courage to D I Y.

While dementia is terrible by allowing it into the law could leave it open to abuse from family.   Having the person confirm what they want to 2 doctors in separate interviews then again just prior to being completed means there can be no interference from others in the decision.
It can be diagnosed now in the early stages when the patient is quite capable of deciding whether they wish an early get out of jail card...
(11-09-2023, 09:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It can be diagnosed now in the early stages when the patient is quite capable of deciding whether they wish an early get out of jail card...

Having been through the process I think they have it pretty right.
After Mum had a major stroke and was in Chch hospital, she was secretary to the South Island Euthanasia Society and had a non-resuscitation agreement, it took her ten days for the family in vigil before she died of being starved and thirsted to death, the very thing she feared most of all, poor Mum.

She was dosed-up with morphine and otherwise left to die, absolutely disgusting treatment in what is supposed to be a modern 21st century country.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(12-09-2023, 06:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 09:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It can be diagnosed now in the early stages when the patient is quite capable of deciding whether they wish an early get out of jail card...

Having been through the process I think they have it pretty right.

You do like to repeat yourself...

(12-09-2023, 08:39 AM)zqwerty Wrote: After Mum had a major stroke and was in Chch hospital, she was secretary to the South Island Euthanasia Society and had a resuscitation agreement, it took her ten days for the family in vigil before she died of being starved and thirsted to death, the very thing she feared most of all, poor Mum.

She was dosed-up with morphine and otherwise left to die, absolutely disgusting treatment in what is supposed to be a modern 21st century country.

Interesting too, how, (based on life experience again) if you want to put a DNR order on your own life it has to be signed off by your doctor and even then may be ignored if another doc sees fit.

They really are very powerful people which is why it is vital to have one you can trust in your corner prepared to back you up if the situation warrants it.
Wife and I must do, after talking about it for years, a video of our requests in case we get the dreaded Dementia/Alzheimer's. Record, and send copies to kids is one thing we think might help.
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
Mum was an absolute stickler when it came to rules and regulations, her D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate) would have been all that it could be, I think that on her way to hospital in the ambulance (a 5 mile journey from Halswell) they were trying to resuscitate but stopped the misplaced effort when her notes were accessed at the hospital.

She knew what was coming because she had had many unexpected mini-strokes (Transient ischemic attacks) (T.I.A.'s) before the final big one.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I think one thing on which we'd all agree is that any changes do need to be very, very carefully thought through & worded. Perhaps it might be worth getting several top lawyers to go though it first & check for any loopholes & possible problems.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I watched Mum starve and die of thirst for 10 days and I'm really not interested in any sophist arguments about possible infringements of peoples rights whilst they are on their deathbeds when all they want is to be dead and have left instructions for that outcome when they were fully COMPOS MENTIS at a previous time in their life and ready to face that decision.
(12-09-2023, 10:23 AM)Kenj Wrote: Wife and I must do, after talking about it for years, a video of our requests in case we get the dreaded Dementia/Alzheimer's. Record, and send copies to kids is one thing we think might help.

That is a wonderful idea. Having obeyed my Mum's wishes to the letter, and in conflict with family wishes it could save a great deal of unhappiness down the track.

(12-09-2023, 10:24 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Mum was an absolute stickler when it came to rules and regulations, her D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)  would have been all that it could be, I think that on her way to hospital in the ambulance (a 5 mile journey from Halswell) they were trying to resuscitate but stopped the misplaced effort when her notes were accessed at the hospital.

She knew what was coming because she had had many unexpected mini-strokes (Transient ischemic attacks) (T.I.A.'s) before the final big one.

Mine too, except neither of us realised what the outcome would be. Six years of hell... If I had known I wouldn't have called the ambulance...

But I know now, lol!