Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nats target social housing again.
What is 'normal', please Jim?
(29-05-2024, 05:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: What is 'normal', please Jim?

That's an excellent question; & also where does Jim think any 'non normal' people will go - are they to live on the streets? In his house, perhaps? 

Or perhaps in the Beehive; although that does seem to be rather full of the non normal, in that most MPs particularly in this govt, appear to be totally lacking in empathy & compassion.
Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Our village has twelve units. Seven female tenants, five males. Of the women, three have mental health issues, one is a resident non citizen, one has gambling addiction issues, one is disabled, and the last one has early stage dementia. Of the menfolk, one has advanced copd, one is very aged and has personality issues that saw him abandoned by his family, two are socially inept and prefer their isolation, and the other is exactly the opposite, with such an active social life we rarely see him.

Not one of us is normal. Thank heavens - but each of us qualified through the fairly strict process to be granted a home in a pansioner village where the rents are subsidised to be 30% of gross income.

And you know something interesting? Rents today are a lower percentage of income than owners with mortgages. And, lower, in most cases than our 30%.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/3...make-sense

The world is a weird place. It doesn't pay to be 'normal'..
Interesting piece from newshub, looks like the Nats are back to their old nepotism model...

https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/05/29/malign...ra-report/
Another Bill English venture: "Manawanui is a social enterprise driven by the belief that self-direction is a fundamental human right. We are strongly committed to supporting our customers’ choices and to going above and beyond to make it easier for people to live their lives how they want, starting with making managing funding easy.
We are the pioneering leaders in self-directed disability funding since 2004, and the most experienced Individualised Funding Host in Aotearoa New Zealand with advanced digital tools for our customers." All this marvelous work Bill does for charity (His own of course). Isn't this country excellent at camouflaging corruption.
(30-05-2024, 09:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Interesting piece from newshub, looks like the Nats are back to their old nepotism model...

https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/05/29/malign...ra-report/

" Labour has since seized on that “no involvement of KO” to say Bishop had a set agenda against the housing agency and says the subsequent Kāinga Ora feedback was ignored.
English and the other reviewers, businessman Simon Allen and urban development expert Ceinwen McNeil, have been paid $274,000 so far of $500,000 allocated by the Cabinet in December for the inquiry. That sum was taken from a HUD budget line for provision of transitional housing for those in urgent need of accommodation."

They're not even bothering to disguise their actual motives now. A businessman, urban developer & a former Nat PM cannot be even remotely impartial.  Dodgy

They're clearly in it to make more money for themselves & their wealthy mates, as is the Neo Liberal way.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

not having noisey parties 24/7, not being intimidating to other tenants, being a good citizen etc.....simple isnt it

(29-05-2024, 07:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

That's an excellent question; & also where does Jim think any 'non normal' people will go - are they to live on the streets? In his house, perhaps? 

Or perhaps in the Beehive; although that does seem to be rather full of the non normal, in that most MPs particularly in this govt, appear to be totally lacking in empathy & compassion.
Rolleyes

i dont care where the non normal people go , perhaps they can live with you seeing as you seem to condone antisocial behaviour
yes i know
And that attitude is exactly why we need social housing...

Fortunately Jim, it will be there should you ever need it. It just might though involve a long waiting list.

I am grateful however, I think, to see by your criteria, I am still normal. Haven't had a loud party for yonks. Sadly.
(31-05-2024, 10:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And that attitude is exactly why we need social housing...

Fortunately Jim, it will be there should you ever need it. It just might though involve a long waiting list.

I am grateful however, I think, to see by your criteria, I am still normal. Haven't had a loud party for yonks. Sadly.

And apparently, I'm normal as well. Despite my best efforts to avoid it... Rolleyes

Not sure whether to hope Jim eventually neeeds social housing or hope he never does... Rolleyes
(31-05-2024, 10:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And that attitude is exactly why we need social housing...

i wont be needing it and i have no problem with people who do need it but when you have good people waiting for housing and antisocial ferals who dont care what damage they do terrorising their neighbours living in taxpayer subsidised housing there is something wrong and as far as im concerned those people can go live under a bridge
yes i know
(31-05-2024, 01:09 PM)jim157 Wrote:

i wont be needing it and i have no problem with people who do need it but when you have good people waiting for housing and antisocial ferals who dont care what damage they do terrorising their neighbours living in taxpayer subsidised housing there is something wrong and as far as im concerned those people can go live under a bridge

Had various govts in the recent past not made a massive mess of our health system, then many of those who need help might now be living in well set up, well staffed half way houses for those with mental illnesses, instead of being in social housing  - or worse, living on the streets.

I'm on the edge of a social housing area, have done for years & the only problem I've had with tenants was with a neighbour who went south for a few months for work & let their house. The people renting privately were more annoying & troublesome than social housing tenants have ever been before or since.

I think everyone deserves to be properly housed, regardless of their income.
(31-05-2024, 01:09 PM)jim157 Wrote:

One thing I have learned in my 70 odd years Jim, is to never say never. I didn't plan on being a widow when I married the man I adored, didn't plan on being a mother after several doctors told me it wouldn't happen, certainly not doing it on my own, didn't plan on being the sole carer for my parents, didn't plan on being disabled or being forced to give up homeownership as a result. But I was lucky, I could handle it.

Never challenge worse, my darling used to say. And he was right. Life is all about adventures and how we respond to the unexpected. Some of us are lucky, we have the resources and resilience to deal with lifes unexpectedness, but the reality is - a fair few simply don't.

Doesn't mean they don't have the same human needs and rights as the rest of us who have managed to weather those storms.

And frankly, it isn't just the poor and needy who behave in socially unacceptable ways. The others  just have better resources to escape the consequences. Plenty of examples of that around us...