Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PING
(16-03-2023, 09:33 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(16-03-2023, 04:49 PM)SueDonim Wrote: As a buyer, yes, I use it all the time for the quick convenience of the transaction being done immediately. I have let them save my CC number - I figure that's less risk than entering it every time and I've never had a problem.
As there's some ambiguity as to whether agreeing to TM storing CC details includes allowing TM to override the law involving storing ccv numbers I'm not prepared to take that risk.  

There is solid reason that it is internationally illegal for a vendor to store ccv numbers (without the permission of the card holder) and TM don't devulge one way or the other on this. Incidentally the CC fraud we were hit with included our ccv number as I confirmed this by contacting the UK jewellery store that our card details were used at. The list of merchants I had been required to use my ccv number with in the months preceeding our 'hit' was very short but included TM.

Thanks for that. TM often asks for my TM password when I make purchases (not always) but has never asked for the CVV so I must have let them save it at sometime and I understand what you are saying about the risk. I have deleted my CC number from TM and next time I make a purchase I'll make sure they aren't saving the CVV.

In general practice I think there are risks both ways - letting a company save the number means there's a risk if they get their database stolen, which I did have happen once at least 10 years ago. On the other hand, if I don't let vendors save the number then there's a risk of it being picked up every time I enter it, although I do have anti-tracking turned on.

When I was a victim of a database theft, it was a US company and they let me know that their customer list had been compromised. All my bank did was change the expiry date on the card, and then the next time the card was re-issued it reverted to the original month of expiry which bothered me at the time but I thought that since the bank did it it was their problem if anything went wrong. Which it never did.

Messages In This Thread
PING - by king1 - 16-03-2023, 11:26 AM
RE: PING - by harm_less - 16-03-2023, 02:16 PM
RE: PING - by Lilith7 - 16-03-2023, 02:19 PM
RE: PING - by harm_less - 16-03-2023, 03:16 PM
RE: PING - by Oh_hunnihunni - 16-03-2023, 03:31 PM
RE: PING - by king1 - 16-03-2023, 04:49 PM
RE: PING - by SueDonim - 16-03-2023, 04:49 PM
RE: PING - by harm_less - 16-03-2023, 09:33 PM
RE: PING - by SueDonim - 19-03-2023, 04:17 PM
RE: PING - by alpha111 - 19-03-2023, 04:19 PM