Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Aotearoa compares with other small countries' Covid situation
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/comparing-cov...-stacks-up
Deaths per million... What a tragedy.
(20-12-2021, 10:24 AM)Olive Wrote: https://www.newsroom.co.nz/comparing-cov...-stacks-up
Well written and reasoned article as is usually the case from Newsroom. The one point that wasn't expanded on is that unlike the European countries NZ initially pursued an elimination strategy which has resulted in very, very few of our population being exposed to COVID and thereby acquiring immunity by way of this method, which is reputed to be more effective that the immunity imparted by way of vaccination, particularly if the individual has been both vaccinated and has had COVID infection.

While the elimination strategy has worked well in minimising harm to us by way of infection it now leaves us more susceptable to being infected than those populations who have had a wave or three of COVID work through them. We are more reliant on vaccination (including boosters) than possibly any other country worldwide due an almost total lack of citizens with any form of naturally acquired immunity.

This is particularly important to factor into ongoing pandemic strategies by our government, and a real risk factor for those that choose not to receive vaccination.
(20-12-2021, 10:53 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 10:24 AM)Olive Wrote: https://www.newsroom.co.nz/comparing-cov...-stacks-up
Well written and reasoned article as is usually the case from Newsroom. The one point that wasn't expanded on is that unlike the European countries NZ initially pursued an elimination strategy which has resulted in very, very few of our population being exposed to COVID and thereby acquiring immunity by way of this method, which is reputed to be more effective that the immunity imparted by way of vaccination, particularly if the individual has been both vaccinated and has had COVID infection.

While the elimination strategy has worked well in minimising harm to us by way of infection it now leaves us more susceptable to being infected than those populations who have had a wave or three of COVID work through them. We are more reliant on vaccination (including boosters) than possibly any other country worldwide due an almost total lack of citizens with any form of naturally acquired immunity.

This is particularly important to factor into ongoing pandemic strategies by our government, and a real risk factor for those that choose not to receive vaccination.
they have watched their hospitals overflow. their economies taken a bashing since day one. lockdowns still going on. travel restrictions in place. no end in sight.
to me theres no comparison. we were reasoned, calm and followed the science and the advice of those paid to know.
we were humane and acted quickly to ensure the financial burdens were not exacerbated with people being made 'wageless'. we found places for the homeless and other vulnerables.
it was expensive. more expensive than parts of europe that have cancelled christmas gatherings and gone into lockdown again?
i think not. we managed Covid, knowing we could never beat it. sometimes managing a problem is solving the problem.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
But hey, we are Aotearoa New Zealand. We do this stuff all the time...
(20-12-2021, 10:53 AM)harm_less Wrote:

all true, but you can't really put a price on the potentially thousands of lives that have been saved by the elimination strategy...   and you never know, hopefully in time the vaccines will become just as good as the herd immunity
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
We have done OK mostly to our geographic location and tough lockdowns, still remains to be seen whether it was worth it with the amount of businesses that have gone under as a result.
At least it got us to the point of living normal for some time until the vaccine was ready.
But boy I think many will be pressed to cope with any potential lockdowns when omicron hits. I think its just time for us to move on and get on with it.
But but....The Freedumb....
I do have other cameras!
im still ok thanks to the actions and sentiments of our leadership.,
friends and family under different leadership,
not so much.
(20-12-2021, 01:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: We have done OK mostly to our geographic location and tough lockdowns, still remains to be seen whether it was worth it with the amount of businesses that have gone under as a result.
At least it got us to the point of living normal for some time until the vaccine was ready.
But boy I think many will be pressed to cope with any potential lockdowns when omicron hits. I think its just time for us to move on and get on with it.

What businesses have gone under please?

And lockdowns? Well there are no lockdowns under this new covid protection framework, just heavy restrictions for the anti-vaxxers.
(20-12-2021, 02:53 PM)TygerTung Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 01:49 PM)nzoomed Wrote: We have done OK mostly to our geographic location and tough lockdowns, still remains to be seen whether it was worth it with the amount of businesses that have gone under as a result.

What businesses have gone under please?

And lockdowns? Well there are no lockdowns under this new covid protection framework, just heavy restrictions for the anti-vaxxers.
pretty sure I heard last week that a third(?) of all tourism businesses have gone since covid started
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(20-12-2021, 03:45 PM)king1 Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 02:53 PM)TygerTung Wrote: What businesses have gone under please?

pretty sure I heard last week that a third(?) of all tourism businesses have gone since covid started

I'm sure this is an issue worldwide, for those types of businesses.
id like to say how nice it is to use the word aotearoa without a barrage of anti sentiment
(20-12-2021, 03:49 PM)TygerTung Wrote:
(20-12-2021, 03:45 PM)king1 Wrote: pretty sure I heard last week that a third(?) of all tourism businesses have gone since covid started

I'm sure this is an issue worldwide, for those types of businesses.
Indeed, and also hospitality businesses.   The figures I would like to see are the percentage of businesses that failed in their first six months/12 months of operation in the years pre-Covid.     I recall it was something like 45% overall and 60% in hospitality but it would be useful to have actual percentages for comparison.
Another aspect to be factored in somehow in Aotearoa is the problems in Auckland's CBD relating to the roadworks.
Compared to other places, we haven't done so very badly here, despite a few muck ups along the way; we could certainly have done far worse.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Tourism though has to rethink itself. The virus isn't going away. And neither is climate change.
as an ex-hospo business owner i feel for the restauranteurs, caterers and bars.
its hard enough to get bums on seats without lockdowns as well.
it must be hard closing your restaurant down with thousands of $ in perishables on board.
knowing i had Eye fillet decomposing in my fridge would kill me
easy enough for a clothing retailer, hard on the butcher and the florist.

livelihoods have been lost, another shitty aspect of this shitty situation.
(21-12-2021, 06:59 AM)Magoo Wrote: as an ex-hospo business owner i feel for the restauranteurs, caterers and bars.
it must be hard closing your restaurant down with thousands of $ in perishables on board.

Bung steak in freezer.
We're living in a time of change now - like that ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."
We'll have to find ways of coping & living differently perhaps.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(21-12-2021, 10:19 AM)TygerTung Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 06:59 AM)Magoo Wrote: as an ex-hospo business owner i feel for the restauranteurs, caterers and bars.

Bung steak in freezer.
which would be fine for personal consumption, but id never serve a frozen product to a customer.