Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bit of a warm one today
Hope that everyone's enjoying/avoiding the summery heat!

You know it's a bit different when Invercargill gets to 32 degrees.
(02-01-2022, 03:32 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: You know it's a bit different when Invercargill gets to 32 degrees.
Wow!

It's a lovely day here in North Otago too, great for getting washing dry.
Autumn comes
One of those days when you can put washing on the line, start another load and by the time that's finished, the things on the line are bone dry Smile
a nice and pleasant 23 here in chch
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-01-2022, 03:41 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: One of those days when you can put washing on the line, start another load and by the time that's finished, the things on the line are bone dry Smile
I grew up in Southland. That's just incredible.
Autumn comes
The temp here would have been higher, except for the breeze, which is keeping it vaguely cooler.

Thank goodness for the air con.
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil goes "oh crap, she's up".
I was mowing the lawns at 9.30 this morning and it was pretty hot then here in Hamilton
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Enjoying the heat only goes so far. Actually I don't really enjoy it. I prefer winter as you can dress for it. In summer you can only take so many of your clothes off then you get arrested !

Aside from that I know from experience, (and an outdoor thermometer), that in the direct sun it's 8 degrees hotter than the temperature you get quoted on Tv or similar media - that's because that temp is the 'ambient' temp that's the air temp IN THE SHADE. If you are like me and have to work outside hot days are only ok for very short periods. Extended outdoors work , if full head to toe covering, as per the employers requirements, are NOT fun.
Fortunately I am retired and only work outside when I chose to which in this weather is a blessing ..... but do you know what in 6 months or so we will be moaning that its too friggin cold  Sad
28 degrees here again today and not a breath of wind. Perfect for lighting a huge pile (5mx5mx4m high) of tree trimmings and other burnables. Couldn't get within 5m of it when it was at maximum burn. Sweating like a rapist so off for a shower to make myself presentable for afternoon visitors. A cool beer will be well in order later on I feel.
The weather is always difficult to get right.

Generally I find it's either

Too hot
Too cold
Too wet
Too dry
Too windy
Too still

Or just generally better somewhere else lol.
(03-01-2022, 10:40 AM)harm_less Wrote: 28 degrees here again today and not a breath of wind. Perfect for lighting a huge pile (5mx5mx4m high) of tree trimmings and other burnables. Couldn't get within 5m of it when it was at maximum burn. Sweating like a rapist so off for a shower to make myself presentable for afternoon visitors. A cool beer will be well in order later on I feel.
oooer, i love a good fire.
i have burned several things down.
i razed the pump shed as a lad with an arrow dipped in petrol. it was connected to the wood shed.
the whole lot went up.
wrecked the pump we had no water for two weeks, burned all next seasons firewood.
i ended up in boarding school a year later.

dad chopped a big macrocarpa down out on the road verge. left a 10 ft stump behind.
some months later i was out there playing with matches, thought i had pissed the fire out.
hadnt. it reinflagrated later that night, burnt through all the power and phone lines.
fire department despatched.  entire road without power for almost a week.  burned the power pole down too.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(03-01-2022, 12:03 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 10:40 AM)harm_less Wrote: 28 degrees here again today and not a breath of wind. Perfect for lighting a huge pile (5mx5mx4m high) of tree trimmings and other burnables. Couldn't get within 5m of it when it was at maximum burn. Sweating like a rapist so off for a shower to make myself presentable for afternoon visitors. A cool beer will be well in order later on I feel.
oooer, i love a good fire.
i razed the pump shed as a lad with an arrow dipped in petrol. it was connected to the wood shed.
the whole lot went up.
wrecked the pump we had no water for two weeks, burned all next seasons firewood.

dad chopped a big macrocarpa down out on the road verge. left a 10 ft stump behind.
some months later i was out there playing with matches, thought i had pissed the fire out.
hadnt. it reinflagrated later that night, burnt through all the power and phone lines.
fire department despatched.  entire road without power for almost a week.  burned the power pole down too.
The base of the burn pile is large willow and poplar stumps from when we took out a shelter belt on moving here 5 years back. This is the 4th fire I've set over them but still they survive. Today's effort was largely fuelled by lawsoniana branches from some winter windfalls so really got going. Hopefully no rain for a week or two will see the stumps continue to smolder away but I suspect they will survive to see another fire or two yet.

I'll be out there again this evening to flick the unburnt ends into the embers. Too hot to consider doing it now.
(03-01-2022, 01:28 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 12:03 PM)Magoo Wrote: oooer, i love a good fire.
the whole lot went up.

The base of the burn pile is large willow and poplar stumps from when we took out a shelter belt on moving here 5 years back. This is the 4th fire I've set over them but still they survive. Today's effort was largely fuelled by lawsoniana branches from some winter windfalls so really got going. Hopefully no rain for a week or two will see the stumps continue to smolder away but I suspect they will survive to see another fire or two yet.

I'll be out there again this evening to flick the unburnt ends into the embers. Too hot to consider doing it now.
I dunno where you live but think I'd be very careful about setting outdoor fires just now.  You might need a permit - if it's allowed at all ?
(03-01-2022, 01:30 PM)Me+Me Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 01:28 PM)harm_less Wrote: The base of the burn pile is large willow and poplar stumps from when we took out a shelter belt on moving here 5 years back. This is the 4th fire I've set over them but still they survive. Today's effort was largely fuelled by lawsoniana branches from some winter windfalls so really got going. Hopefully no rain for a week or two will see the stumps continue to smolder away but I suspect they will survive to see another fire or two yet.

I dunno where you live but think I'd be very careful about setting outdoor fires just now.  You might need a permit - if it's allowed at all ?
We had 95mm of rain 6 days ago here in the Naki. And yes I checked with the Rural Fire website before going ahead. Open fire season here, and no trees or buildings within cooee on a windless day so all good.
According to my thermometer thingy its 27 - here probably not that hot though, there's a slight breeze now.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
29 C here in Waikato, and it certainly feels like it.

Today and tomorrow in sunny Hamilton.
It is looking good. Summer will soon be here.
A smile is more contagious than a virus. Smile
I love my uninsulated north facing brick wall in the winter. In the summer it is a pain in the night...

Thank goodness for my fan.